• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: ENG v WAL (Twickenham): POOL A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
My thoughts on this game:-

1) The place kickers for Wales and England in this game were sublime. Never looked like missing really.
2) Australia should be very concerned about the scrum officiating in their forthcoming match against England. England ended up being dominant, but the first two scrums they achieved this purely by Marler driving across on the angle, in exactly the same manner that we saw Australia penalised off the park last year.
3) Lancaster has stuffed up big time. A bit like in 1991 they carry massive baggage from recent defeats and seem to have decided that they cannot win with the method they played against the opposition last time and so make drastic changes to the whole plan. In 1991 they were trounced in Sydney and decided to play a wide running game in the final, and got close in similar fashion to what has happened with Wales in this game. Funny thing is I think they could have got away with it this time if they hadn't changed the 9 and retained Burgess at 12. Defensively they were far tighter before those substitutions. Ultimately we have to wonder what Lancaster was thinking as the replacements just didn't fit with the plan that had brought them to the brink of victory.
4) Gatland Ball remains ultra predictable and boring as shit IMO. It offers very little in attack and even without the injuries I doubt they would be a threat to NZ (or the Wallabies on results trend not so much form) past the semi's. This game was wonderful in the drama and closeness, but attack was all about the skills of the individuals and little about team attack structures.

What is the status of Wales now, are Williams and Amos gone. Williams shoulder looked shot.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
I can't help but feel a bit sorry for Robshaw. Kicking for a draw from the touchline, or kicking for a win, 5m out in the Mauling World Cup. After they'd bullied the Welsh pack at the set piece all game. A try was the only way he was going to escape unscathed either way.

It'll be 50 years before England kick for the corner again.

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
Well... that took a lot of beer to make me feel happier haha

I just don't understand why we decided to scrap the game plan we have been playing for the last 12 months or so for this game. Lancaster definitely panicked and it has bitten him in the arse. Fair play to Wales, their fitness really showed in that second half as I remember.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
How good was the welsh 15. All this talk about the loss of halfpenny, but I haven't seen halfpenny attack that like before, and the kicker kicked all his goals anyway so they probably didn't lose much there (barring post-match injury).

Also I thought North was the winger too look out for, we all know what he is capable of, but it was the other welsh winger Amos who was superb. They have a real world-class back 3. One of the English wingers was pretty good too.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
3) Lancaster has stuffed up big time. A bit like in 1991 they carry massive baggage from recent defeats and seem to have decided that they cannot win with the method they played against the opposition last time and so make drastic changes to the whole plan. In 1991 they were trounced in Sydney and decided to play a wide running game in the final, and got close in similar fashion to what has happened with Wales in this game. Funny thing is I think they could have got away with it this time if they hadn't changed the 9 and retained Burgess at 12. Defensively they were far tighter before those substitutions. Ultimately we have to wonder what Lancaster was thinking as the replacements just didn't fit with the plan that had brought them to the brink of victory.

What is the status of Wales now, are Williams and Amos gone. Williams shoulder looked shot.

Lancaster is copping a lot of criticism for the changes in the centres and certainly some is probably justified. Little mention has been made since the loss though that his starting 13, Jonathan Joseph is out injured.

Of course the change of least resistance was to leave Barritt at 12 and bring in Henry Slade at 13. In hindsight it looks like he made the poorer choice. Generally I'd say that was because Barritt struggled at 13 rather than Burgess being poor at 12.

It was Amos that did his shoulder wasn't it? Scott Williams did his knee and Liam Williams got kicked in the head. Who knows whether any will be available for the Fiji game but it certainly looks like Scott Williams is gone from the tournament.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
You're the one getting "carried away" when you come out with such condescending tosh as "once he actually wins something (meaningful)". And that's just the bar for for you sucking his dick. You really are one negative hombre.

It's all a big joke mate. Don't take it so seriously.

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
Well. that took a lot of beer to make me feel happier haha

I just don't understand why we decided to scrap the game plan we have been playing for the last 12 months or so for this game. Lancaster definitely panicked and it has bitten him in the arse. Fair play to Wales, their fitness really showed in that second half as I remember.

I get the impression Lancaster can be more coerced into altering game plans based on what his assistant coaches decide. This game seemed to have Farrell seniors mark all over it with an uninspiring, gigantic midfield that would've been more suited for back row berths.

Ah its all hyperbole now but Engkand will have a world cup final against Aus now, if the atmosphere was heralded as fantastic last night it will be rocking next Saturday.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Is this the Eng/Wal match thread or what? If it isn't could somene please direct me to it.

The match: is it possible at least one French ref could abide by the Laws of rugby and insist Pommy LHPs scrummage straight. Marler was right in front of the ref while he was boring in at, about, 45 degrees. WTF?

Could one of the resident boyos kindly give us a report on the wounded Welsh.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Wouldn't matter - Garces is a knob end. The French refs are taught to just penalise the team NOT going forward, even if that forward involves a lot of sideways.

Note: Wales got penalised on their own feed because the AR - 50 metres away - called red for a poor bind.

This still doesn't make sense.

If Garces is a knob and and the AR can recognize a poor bind from 50 metres like a goddam sniper, why can't an AR recognize Marler turning sideways at a scrum like the rest of us non-snipers?

One of these things is not like the other.

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
Is this the Eng/Wal match thread or what? If it isn't could somene please direct me to it.

The match: is it possible at least one French ref could abide by the Laws of rugby and insist Pommy LHPs srummage straight. Marler was right in front ofte ref while he was boring in at, about, 45 degrees. WTF?

Could one of the resident boyos kindly give us a report on the wounded Welsh.
Amos & Scott Williams are being talked of as "long-term injured" fullback Liam Williams is the only one to have any hope (maybe remote depending on medical assessment).
There's talk that Gareth Anscombe & Eli Walker who were both ruled out by injury at various times could be close to fitness though. Although that won't help us at centre.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Oh and great win to Wales. Games aren't just about stats, some at the death are about belief and heart.

Or taking ruthless, clinical advantage of the opposition losing their heads and their defensive shape. If Wales were just playing on heart, they wouldn't have had their heads together to exploit those doglegs. England looked like the team playing on heart and hope, not with their heads.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Think so. Either that or he calls up hook. Then this afternoon I wondered about the return of Gavin henson. But then thought shewerly things went that bad

GATS -- I'm all greased up and ready to go!

article-0-0CB81774000005DC-291_306x512.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.