• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC FINAL - New Zealand vs France

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jay

Except if Richie hadn't of been coming in from the side he wouldn't have kneed Parra. :fishing Thought it was ironic that McCaw accidententaly kneed someone in the RWC final given the Cooper incident in the final 3Ns game this year.

If McCaw blows that knee out next season it'll be spooky.....

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
And is it a pay it forward type situation?
Does Parra now knee QC (Quade Cooper) in the head or does he knee someone else who will then knee QC (Quade Cooper)?

F

Flymagnet

Congrats to the AB's for a tough fought victory. It's a pity that the win was marred by some very ordinary decisions by Joubert. The ones that stick in my mind are firstly, the AB's try. Watching that in slow-mo you can see the first frog jumper being lifted out of the way (a lifter is shoved back) then the kiwi forwards set an illegal screen including pushing back one of the french crew to prevent him getting into position and on the other side Mc Caw holding back 2 french players from the rear of the lineout. Kudos for a very clever tactic but at least 4 infringements as part of the package. Secondly, in that last 30 mins it is blatantly obvious that Joubert kept putting his whistle back in his pocket (out of fear - who knows ?) when the ABs were infinging at the breakdown. Overall I'm glad the kiwi's won it as I couldn't stand the national mourning that would have raged among our southern cousins if a loss had occured but I gotta say, on the day, the French were a better side. The McCaw 'eye-gouging' incident....at the time I saw the French pack getting tired of all the ball smothering / clawing by McCaw and gave him a few feet full of sprigs (good old fashioned rucking) to wise him up a bit.

I don't think it's sour grapes to hold such an opinion. It's merely my opinion. What I really hope is that Paddy Obrien and other tournament officials are forced to do an honest evaluation of the quality of refereeing overall and figure out how to improve the standard. In today's world of high quality camera work, slow-mo replays etc, bad decisions are becoming increasingly obvious. Enough already with the " performance of match officials is excellent" baseless blurtings from O'Brien. Some referees like Bryce Lawrence need to be sent back to schoolboy rugby.

Enjoy the win southern cousins, there's a big job in 4 years to keep a mob of northern hemisphere pretenders hands of the cup!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Chris rattue says:

"My conclusion: the All Blacks choked at the World Cup yet again, the difference being that this time they got away with it."

Love it.....3 days and the monkey has climbed back on

M

Muttonbird

Chris rattue says:

"My conclusion: the All Blacks choked at the World Cup yet again, the difference being that this time they got away with it."

Love it.....3 days and the monkey has climbed back on

...to Rattue's back, yes. I don't think they choked. I don't think they played well but even that was good enough to dispatch the next best team playing the game-of-their-lives along with some head-butting and eye-gouging. Weepu injured in the warm-up, Australia's favourite Stephen Donald on and still strong enough to ease past the rabid Frenchmen.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
...to Rattue's back, yes. I don't think they choked. I don't think they played well but even that was good enough to dispatch the next best team playing the game-of-their-lives along with some head-butting and eye-gouging. Weepu injured in the warm-up, Australia's favourite Stephen Donald on and still strong enough to ease past the rabid Frenchmen.
I think you're a tad confused. The NZ media and fans were the biggest knockers of The Don. I'm not sure too many Aussies were too fussed about him, one way or the other.

F

Flymagnet

Glad you found some footage to enjoy while you suck your breakfast lemon.

Actually Bon, I found some of the tactics used by the AB's to be brilliant. I wish the Wallabies crew could plan and execute such a manoeuvre. Unfortunately even being able to turn up at a test match with consistent skills and commitment seems beyond us, let alone execute such a cunning plan. I actually congratulated you guys ...I mean it. My gripe is with the quality of match officials right across the tourney...anyway, enjoy the victory. This one is special for NZ'ers ;->

M

Muttonbird

I think you're a tad confused. The NZ media and fans were the biggest knockers of The Don. I'm not sure too many Aussies were too fussed about him, one way or the other.

Oh, but I remember there was a nice poem penned about Donald on this very website, and great hilarity was had by all G 'n' R posters after the Hong Kong game. Thought people here had taken a real shine to Donald.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Oh, but I remember there was a nice poem penned about Donald on this very website, and great hilarity was had by all G 'n' R posters after the Hong Kong game. Thought people here had taken a real shine to Donald.
It's nice a few fans on an Aussie website carry more weight than the NZ media and public.
Magazine cover - "Is this the Best We've Got?" ring any bells?
Check out the multiple Donald threads on TSF before pointing the finger elsewhere.
The Don was lampooned at home, and it makes for much discomfort for many Kiwis to admit he might be OK.
As you would know from here, fans tend to be harshest on their own who under-perform.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

You can describe the outcome all you like - convince yourself if you can....but one of your brethren thinks you choked and the monkeys along for the ride.
Of course unbridled arrogance may overcome that monkey - we'll see
It was only 1 single point...against a team no one ranked a chance...40 points I heard predicted and yet it was just a single point.....

J

Jay

You can describe the outcome all you like - convince yourself if you can....but one of your brethren thinks you choked and the monkeys along for the ride.
Of course unbridled arrogance may overcome that monkey - we'll see
It was only 1 single point...against a team no one ranked a chance...40 points I heard predicted and yet it was just a single point.....

Rattue is a troll.

W

WhoDaresWin

To win by 1 point or 100 points, a win is still a win.

Critics will go on and on and on and on about how wonderful France played, how the All Blacks nearly choked, how dirty & a cheat McCaw is, how pathetic the ref was, something about a monkey, blah blah blah blah....

but

HISTORY will show that the ALL BLACKS WON THE 2011 RWC.

Reactions: TSR

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
To win by 1 point or 100 points, a win is still a win.

Critics will go on and on and on and on about how wonderful France played, how the All Blacks nearly choked, how dirty & a cheat McCaw is, how pathetic the ref was, something about a monkey, blah blah blah blah....

but

HISTORY will show that the ALL BLACKS WON THE 2011 RWC.

AGREE!!

No one gave 2 hoots when we were dumped from the previous tournaments. Whether the team was sick, they played badly or had some dodgy refereeing calls. All anyone wanted to say was 'Chokers'.

Personally, I don't care that we won by 1 point. I don't care if people thought Joubert had a bad game. I don't care if people think McCaw is a cheat.

No other team in the world has the history and the record that the AB's do. Now, we have the one thing that many people have held against us since 1991 - the RWC. It can't be taken away and it can't be changed. If the haters want to keep themselves warm at night by thinking about those other things - let them.

Me.....I'll just keep looking at the photos of the team parades in Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington.....the clips of the Kiwis celebrating and the image of McCaw holding the William Webb Ellis up high. It's been worth the wait!

Antony

Alex Ross (28)

I'm fine with that. Other results I would have gladly accepted include a nil-all tie with the game won on a penalty shootout, and a game won after the simultaneous heart-attacks of the entire opposition side.

I don't really accept your point that the All Blacks were bad, but regardless, I've had enough of playing well and losing. I'd much rather see the boys play like a pair of dog's balls and get a Cup win - and I imagine most of the fans of any side on here would agree.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
AGREE!!

No one gave 2 hoots when we were dumped from the previous tournaments. Whether the team was sick, they played badly or had some dodgy refereeing calls. All anyone wanted to say was 'Chokers'.

Personally, I don't care that we won by 1 point. I don't care if people thought Joubert had a bad game. I don't care if people think McCaw is a cheat.

No other team in the world has the history and the record that the AB's do. Now, we have the one thing that many people have held against us since 1991 - the RWC. It can't be taken away and it can't be changed. If the haters want to keep themselves warm at night by thinking about those other things - let them.

Me.....I'll just keep looking at the photos of the team parades in Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington.....the clips of the Kiwis celebrating and the image of McCaw holding the William Webb Ellis up high. It's been worth the wait!

You blokes didn't choke. With the weight of a nation and intensly fierce opposition on the field you won. Lock it in Eddie as you got the job done.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
AGREE!!

If we could have our time again, I would have been happy for the WBs to win the WC final by 1 point, regardless of how poor the opposition was expected to be (disregarding for a second that the French actually played extremely well in the final). And if that was determined to be choking, then I'd be hoping the WBs choke in a similiar vein in every subsequent test.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
A lot of AB supporters justifying the 1 point win WHY You won, you'll be Champs untill 2015, then to win it you have to beat more than just the Sothern Hemispere teams, The teams up north are closing the gap,
The next WC, if the northern team can keep improving will be a real contest of more than just 3or 4 teams.:salute

Status
Not open for further replies.