• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: IRE v FRA (POOL D) Mon 12th@2:45am

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm bloody sick of this holding back crap. It's against the spirit of the game and is forcing players into action through no fault of their own.

It's not forcing players to do anything.

You can't take the laws into your own hands. All you can do is hope that it is seen and potentially ham it up to make it more obvious.

The best way to counteract it would be to start giving out yellow cards when it is seen.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The refs never pull it up though which is why the players do it.

Well the players are pretty dumb then to be committing offences that can earn them cards and suspensions in retaliation for what would be a penalty offence if it is seen.

There's never going to be a law that foul play is acceptable if you're being held on to by an opposition player.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
It's not forcing players to do anything.

You can't take the laws into your own hands. All you can do is hope that it is seen and potentially ham it up to make it more obvious.

The best way to counteract it would be to start giving out yellow cards when it is seen.

No argument there. But it also shows how cagey Pape was being by holding SOB from behind and around his back, so it couldn't be seen by anyone except maybe the touch judge. Owens was never going to be able to spot that from his position in the middle of everything. Clever, but cynical.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
It was a bit of a fizzer in the end. Lot's of handling errors, poor execution, nothing kicks and disjointed attack. The French team looked to switch off in the final quarter even with the game within reach.

Bring on France!

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Something definitely needs to be done about the holding back. Half the suspensions this year have come from reacting to it. And SOB is gone for all money here. They can't institute anything now this close to the end of the Cup, but I'd be looking very seriously next year at automatic 1-week bans for anyone illegally holding back a player that goes on to be suspended for his reaction.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
I don't think I've ever seen Sexton finish a game. He always seems to get led off the field early with some exceedingly minor injury while the comms rabbit on about how disappointed he looks and how hard it is to get him off the field.
He never looks very disappointed to me.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
One thing I thought about SOB is that he got away with a lot at the ruck contest that crossed the line.

And for the record I was supporting Ireland.
That is a sevens job, push it right to the limit of the refs interpretation. Silly loss of control hitting Pape and, hopefully, it will only be a week if he smiles and says the right things, but SOB was pretty damn good yesterday.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
At lock, Donnacha Ryan can step in, but he's just getting back into form (like Healy). Dan Tuohy might get called up from Ulster.

As far as back-row ballast goes, I believe O'Mahony is going to be okay, but if not, it'll most likely Chris Henry. Jordi Murphy can jump in, but I think he'd need to up his intensity a bit to match what's happening on the pitch now (completely possible). And if need be, if Tuohy comes in and Ryan starts at lock, Henderson can also cover blindside flanker.

It's a damn shame Tommy O'Donnell dislocated his hip in the warm-up game against Wales, because he had some form. That was a six-week injury back in early August, but I doubt he'd walk right back in. Rhys Ruddock was another possibility -- he had some shining moments in the 6N -- but he broke his arm in June for the second time, and I believe went off injured in a Leinster game last week (but that may have been precautionary). CJ Stander qualifies to play for Ireland the day after the RWC final, so he's out.

Overall, I think they'll be alright, although they'll miss O'Connell's generalship around the park. But I also think that'll kick them on to perform even better.
TOD will be lucky to play before Christmas. Ruddock was involved for Leinster last weekend but would hardly be 100% match fit. I would think Paulie is gone, but they will wait on the SOB situation before making a call up. If SOB gets a week, which is best case scenario, I think it will be Tuohy who gets the call to replace Paulie, if SOB gets two or three weeks, God Forbid, then I think a back rower will replace the great man. I am going to whisper this quietly, but I think Ireland can cope without Paulie, the players will not want for motivation to #win it for POC, and Toner, Hendo with Ryan off the bench is not shabby. We do need Peter O'Mahony fit for next weekend no matter what and hopefully the Sextoid, although Viscount Wonderhair did a cracking job yesterday and will have gained real confidence from that. Murray is key, to hear a player of George Gregan's class be so effusive in his praise of the Irish 9, was a massive compliment.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Only at half time in my viewing, but I don't get the Owen's love in other threads. He referees like its 2010. No requirement for the tackler to clearly release.

The French forwards have taken the honours in the first half, but their backs are comically bad. Michalak makes a half break and then stutter steps like a grandpa who's dropped his cane.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
I think if a player holds back another player illegally, they should get automatic yellow.

It shits me refs never seem to give two yellows when a player gets binned for lashing out. What about the deliberate foul play that preceded it.

Seconded! It's cynical, it's no better than, for example, what Genia did vs. Wales, and that was an immediate yellow.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
The French forwards have taken the honours in the first half, but their backs are comically bad. Michalak makes a half break and then stutter steps like a grandpa who's dropped his cane.

You never know if you're going to get Flakey Freddy or Flashy Freddy. Ireland targeted him as a weakness in defense. They didn't hunt him like France did Sexton, but they found his channel. The Irish forwards were often running at angles (instead of straight into contact), drawing the French forwards out of their defensive positions, and then they'd look for Freddy and run at him. That's how Kearney's try was scored.

Status
Not open for further replies.