• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: IRE v FRA (POOL D) Mon 12th@2:45am

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm not going to offer much in the way of analysis, but I can say that last night was the most i fun I've ever had a game of rugby. I was there in my French jersey surrounded by Irishmen and enjoyed it immensely. Great banter, many rounds of drinks bought for each other and the most electric atmosphere I can remember at a test match. I can't imagine a better occasion that doesn't involve the Wallabies winning a major trophy.

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
I'm not going to offer much in the way of analysis, but I can say that last night was the most i fun I've ever had a game of rugby. I was there in my French jersey surrounded by Irishmen and enjoyed it immensely. Great banter, many rounds of drinks bought for each other and the most electric atmosphere I can remember at a test match. I can't imagine a better occasion that doesn't involve the Wallabies winning a major trophy.

It was a fantastic occasion. The many Aussie, French, English Welsh and other Irish supporters were fantastic. Have to say the French are great fans too, they're never dull with the choice of outfits, songs and so often great grace and humour post game. They really add something to the sport.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)

Whenever France plays Ireland, or one of the provinces goes to someplace like Clermont or Toulon, the word is the fans from both sides always have a good time together and end up drinking and singing together after the games. I'm on a different continent so can't experience that, but it sounds fantastic.

Alex

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Looks like Seanie did get cited. I just looked at a frame by frame and unless he has no fingers it unfortunately doesn't look much like an open palm to me? Bosch also cited for a tackle it seems.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Looks like Seanie did get cited. I just looked at a frame by frame and unless he has no fingers it unfortunately doesn't look much like an open palm to me? Bosch also cited for a tackle it seems.

Yep, cited. I'll leave the frame-by-frame stuff to the judiciary, but on the reverse angle, it looks like he has an open hand. (And he has blunt, club-like hands.)

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Open hand or not is a red herring. Praying for a week.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
I just looked at a frame by frame and unless he has no fingers it unfortunately doesn't look much like an open palm to me?

Here you go -- fingers are out when he makes contact. Thick, stubby fingers, to be sure, but fingers are out, not a fist.

But that doesn't mean he didn't hit him.

01_11230931_9633d8_2520918a.jpg

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
Here you go -- fingers are out when he makes contact. Thick, stubby fingers, to be sure, but fingers are out, not a fist.

But that doesn't mean he didn't hit him.

01_11230931_9633d8_2520918a.jpg

Citing office is only a bus ride away from me. If I can raise a bit of money I'll print that off in A1 paper snd cover the whole building in it before the hearing.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Grey and ford cited. Scotland are buggered. Well they always were

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Whenever France plays Ireland, or one of the provinces goes to someplace like Clermont or Toulon, the word is the fans from both sides always have a good time together and end up drinking and singing together after the games. I'm on a different continent so can't experience that, but it sounds fantastic.

You need to experience it at least once my friend. You won't regret it.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)

I was just skimming over the game again, and a couple things like that really stood out.

For one, almost all of them had great body position when they went into contact. None of them were too upright, they kept their base (hips) under them, and chopped their legs. Even Toner -- even Toner.

Keet was a lot more effective than many might have realized. He was very busy and physical at the rucks. Around the 14th minute, he cleans Slimani a meter out of a ruck on his own. About five minutes after that, Henshaw is carrying and gets hit by Pape and Bastareaud; Earls flies into that ruck and takes Pape about a meter past Henshaw, giving him plenty of space to present the ball.

Trevor Hogan is also imploring people to go back and watch Henshaw in that fifteen-minute period from around when O'Connell gets hurt and then into the second half around Kearney's try. A lot of it isn't flashy work, but he's comparing it to as being as influential a performance as O'Driscoll's star performance in Paris when he was young. When Ireland are down to 14 (no POC), Henshaw ups his workrate and gets the turnover from Chouly. That secures the rest of the first half for Ireland. In the second half, a lot of his work leads up to Kearney's try; he steps Bastareaud at one point to make a break, and then beat two more French defenders to get the ball out wide to Bowe, which led to the lineout. Off the lineout he took an against-the-grain line to carry the ball over the gain line, and it's off that they get the scrum. Off that scrum, it's his quick inside pass to Bowe in a backs play that sets up the phases leading to Kearney's try, and in the middle of that he also gets a leech onto O'Brien to get him over the gain line.

And I thought I must have hallucinated it, but nope -- at 46:50, Heaslip clears three French forwards off a ruck on his own, toppling them all over a la SOB in the 6N, and that leads to a turnover. It wasn't quite as explosive as O'Brien's, but it was good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.