• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: Pool C - Wallabies v Fiji - Monday 18 Sep 2am AEST

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I agree with refs calls all the time. I agreed with de Groot’s card in the AB game. I also agree that Fiji should have seen a card.

Watch how Petaia cleans out Botia in the 57th minute. Botia seems to leave the game directly because of this neck roll.
He got up completely fine. It would have been a planned change and they haven’t paid a knock roll in 5 plus years

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
He got up completely fine. It would have been a planned change and they haven’t paid a knock roll in 5 plus years
Marika got up completely fine as well. Stupid comment.

And you don't watch lot of rugby if you think neck rolls are OK or they aren't penalised. Folau Fainga'a was yellow carded against Ireland less than a year ago for a neck roll.

The reason you probably don't see it a lot is because coaches have moved away from the old crocodile-roll type clean-out and it used less. Mainly because of the risk of......

.... neck rolls.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
It ain't the coach, none of the Wobs coaches are bad, we just aren't very good and need to learn to win again

There will be continual pain for years to come
Fundamentally untrue, we’ve completely changed a game plan to kick first (or at least kick after 3-4 phases) and it’s not working. Our shape in attack is abysmal and we’re not creating opportunities. These are all coaching decisions.

We were down by 7 and there were 4 minutes left in the game and we decide to get in a kicking duel!?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

And you don't watch lot of rugby if you think neck rolls are OK or they aren't penalised. Folau Fainga'a was yellow carded against Ireland less than a year ago for a neck roll.

The reason you probably don't see it a lot is because coaches have moved away from the old crocodile-roll type clean-out and it used less. Mainly because of the risk of......

.... neck rolls.

I wonder what David Pocock thinks of this post...

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
So when I say that I think that Fiji should have got a card, is it OK to disagree with the ref then? When I say that de Groot's card was warranted is OK to agree with the ref then?

I agree with the refs based on the call - not on who is playing as implied by the comment I replied to.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So when I say that I think that Fiji should have got a card, is it OK to disagree with the ref then? When I say that de Groot's card was warranted is OK to agree with the ref then?

I agree with the refs based on the call - not on who is playing as implied by the comment I replied to.

Sorry, I thought you agreed with the refs... all the time?

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

.... neck rolls.
Neck rolls have come back into the game in a big way as of late as they have cracked down of high shots in a clean out and without coming in from the side there really isn’t that much else you can do.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
So did I hear right that Skelton and Tupou wont be fit for next week ?

EDIT:- Yep

injuries are also hitting the Australians – prop Taniela Tupou has a hamstring issues and captain Will Skelton watched the match from the sidelines wearing a moon boot – and Jones was even booed by the crowd during the match.

Jones admitted neither of the injured stars would be available for the next must-win clash against Wales.

OMG

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Nah that's on McReight.

It's one of those ones where if McReight didn't compete for the ball, the ref would've been fine with Valetini most likely.

He needs to be smarter.
Unlikely, all refs are focused on breakdown issues and I thought Valetini's penalty was obvious.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Neck rolls have come back into the game in a big way as of late as they have cracked down of high shots in a clean out and without coming in from the side there really isn’t that much else you can do.
I watched a coaching video with Jase Ryan and he talked about focussing on the wrists. If a player beats you to the breakdown and has his hands on the ball, grab his wrists to move him off.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
It would have been 14 on 14 if the ref picked up the Wallaby indiscretion.

The Wallabies also benefitted from being over the ball. They just weren’t there enough to get the calls. Foketi got one almost immediately after getting on. And he was right about the calls. Fijian players were very accurate and had hands on the ball, lifting it and showing him a picture of Wallabies not releasing. The Wallabies paid the price for not having the same accuracy.

Lomani got called for not retreating from a kick as soon as he got on and it was very costly because Fiji were in a great attacking position from that kick.

Fiji were too good and wanted it more. The ref had nothing to do with it.
Hard to be accurate when you are NOT there... Speed to the BD and protection were totally missing, it was as if we were back in 2003 with Eddie shouting "Stay out of the breakdown, the D is the most important"

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Surely its uncontentious that EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) has made the Wallabies notably worse than we were under Rennie, right?
One could argue we're in this position because of Rennie. Poor S&C management by Rennie and Co resulted in an undercooked Taniela and Quade coming into the WC.