• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: Pool C - Wallabies v Fiji - Monday 18 Sep 2am AEST

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Don't blame the coach. Don't blame the referee. Don't blame the players.

The Fijians are a good team, there is no shame in losing to them.
There is a sensible post. Sometimes the other team is better, and in this case the Fijian's were. You know why I watch rugby? It's because it's a sport, and sometimes in sports a team will play bloody well and deserve to win!
Anyone in any game can pick and choose a moment when a team should of got a penalty, or a player makes a mistake, I find I get a lot more enjoyment out of noticing the skillful moments etc that lead to the results.
Try if fellas it makes game more enjoyable. And I said exactly same when my beloved AB lost to France! Not suggesting we ignore what needs fixing, but or anything but don't look for just reasons for loss, that honestly aren't that accurate.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)

Rubbish, had we played the game I would agree but we rarely got out of 1st gear and when we did we fucked up by penalty, losing in contact or kicking it away. Also, what bright spark thought the drift defence was the way to play Fiji? They needed to be shut down early not allowed to run.
Gutless performance from my POV but not sure if it was the players or the coach, most probably a mix of both.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I am not anti this ref as I thought he was just OK. My issue was a couple of times in the first half where their prop had gone down and he reset the scrum.
I thought Australia might have been lucky on those. It looked like Fiji wanted to get a shove on and perhaps Slipper pulled the prop down and was hinging. ('Hinging' used to be a call refs used a lot but I haven't heard it for a long time...is it still a thing??)

But honestly, you could write everything I know about scrums on the back of a folded stamp LOL

Last edited:

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
There is a sensible post. Sometimes the other team is better, and in this case the Fijian's were. You know why I watch rugby? It's because it's a sport, and sometimes in sports a team will play bloody well and deserve to win!
Anyone in any game can pick and choose a moment when a team should of got a penalty, or a player makes a mistake, I find I get a lot more enjoyment out of noticing the skillful moments etc that lead to the results.
Try if fellas it makes game more enjoyable. And I said exactly same when my beloved AB lost to France! Not suggesting we ignore what needs fixing, but or anything but don't look for just reasons for loss, that honestly aren't that accurate.
You lose the Bledisloe for 20 years straight and then see if you keep this opinion

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

I actually thought Fiji bottled it a bit in the second half. Kuruvoli going off was a big handbrake for them I felt. They really didn't capitalise on a couple of good moments they had. I think the scoreline could have been worse for the Wallabies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
You lose the Bledisloe for 20 years straight and then see if you keep this opinion
Took over 20 years for us to win the RWC a second time. That quarter-final loss to France in 2007 was a really hard one to take. 1999 was probably the worst reaction to the ABs losing that I've seen. People were SO ANGRY. I think a number of ABs just stayed in Europe for a while to let things cool down in NZ. I think John Hart got death threats.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I thought Australia might have been lucky on those. It looked like Fiji wanted to get a shove on and perhaps Slipper pulled the prop down and was hinging. ('Hinging' used to a call refs used a lot but I haven't heard it for a long time...is it still a thing??)

But honestly, you could write everything I know about scrums on the back of a folded stamp LOL
Hinging is a thing but the ref needs to see you hinging prior to bringing him down, I didn't see that I thought Slipper pulled back a bit and the Fiji prop wanted to get a big hit on and was outsmarted.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I am not anti this ref as I thought he was just OK. My issue was a couple of times in the first half where their prop had gone down and he reset the scrum.
I feel he was fairly consistent with his application of the laws. I didn’t agree with how he reffed the break down, I felt almost every time they were clearly hands on the floor then onto the ball.

I felt thought that the Fijian’s responded to this and played to the whistle where the Wallabies were unable to adjust.

Yeah the lack of scrum penalties early when there loose head kept going to ground did my head in

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Let's not get into rare air we are what we are and there are few surprises and certainly no great players to pull in. The coach has to wear that result as I have cooled down a bit it is the only sensible thing that I can see. The guys have had weeks together to hone skills and cut down on penalties.
I don't buy Eddie getting the shits, his game plan, for what little I saw of it was the shit that caused it.