• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: Pool C - Wallabies v Fiji - Monday 18 Sep 2am AEST

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
TT, I've just rewatched the last 20 again and those of you claiming the Fijians were out on their feet are lying. They would have scored off a great run at 78 mins and only a miracle save by Koro saved us looking like we deserved. In the first 5 mins of the 60 mins they won 3--4 turnover penalties because we were too slow to get there, so were they out on their feet?
Foketi made our 2nd TO? of the match around 72 mins. We did what we always do when we have a bad game, we started to play in the last 15 mins - apart from the madness of the kick-fest at 75mins the likes of which I hope we never see again.
We were neither up for the game, nor fit enough and the tactics were basic at best.
You're not wrong - when we had ball in hand, they were all over the ruck, turning it over either by pushing through, or given a holding on penalty. (I make no comment on how quick the holding on penalties were given as they were pretty even for both sides, or alleged lying on the wrong side of the ruck/offside)

When they had ball in hand, they had bodies there protecting the ruck before we even had anyone there.

Way too many times I saw a wallaby going with no support and had to turn it over.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
TT, I've just rewatched the last 20 again and those of you claiming the Fijians were out on their feet are lying. They would have scored off a great run at 78 mins and only a miracle save by Koro saved us looking like we deserved. In the first 5 mins of the 60 mins they won 3--4 turnover penalties because we were too slow to get there, so were they out on their feet?
Foketi made our 2nd TO? of the match around 72 mins. We did what we always do when we have a bad game, we started to play in the last 15 mins - apart from the madness of the kick-fest at 75mins the likes of which I hope we never see again.
We were neither up for the game, nor fit enough and the tactics were basic at best.
Like I said, we scored a try in the last 15 mins and if the ref and bunker weren’t terrified of being vilified on social media we likely would have scored a second one

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Jesus Dan - did we watch a different game? They were fast to the end competed and won most breakdowns, Scrummaged well and chased kicks and supported runners better than we did. We were not fit enough and combine that with our stupid drift defence v their rush defence - we just allowed them to run and run and so they did....
Ok mate perhaps I need to watch again, I had impression that Fiji as a team were struggling a little to get their cohesion in last 15, and although some players looked to have some left in legs, I got impression they had lost some of their support. As I say I haven't rewatched it, bit was what I thought while watching game. I am happy to be corrected etc so no probs.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ok mate perhaps I need to watch again, I had impression that Fiji as a team were struggling a little to get their cohesion in last 15, and although some players looked to have some left in legs, I got impression they had lost some of their support. As I say I haven't rewatched it, bit was what I thought while watching game. I am happy to be corrected etc so no probs.
I suggest you don't rewatch it Dan, it makes for a very painful experience. There is good support these days for mental anguish..

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Perhaps the fact that with all their possession Fiji scored only one try, and that was an opportunistic one not a full-blooded end to end ten hands one, indicates that they were perhaps not as fit as everyone thinks.

Personally I think the result was 99% our gameplan and selections and 1% everything else.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
IMG_9866.jpeg

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
As funny as it looks, I actually don't think Rennie is the kind of guy that would celebrate another coach's loss like that either. I reckon even though he got shafted by Rugby Australia, he probably feels for the guys he coached a little bit.
My exact thoughts - too decent a guy to gloat IMO - Chieka and Eddie however...

dru

Tim Horan (67)
My exact thoughts - too decent a guy to gloat IMO

Completely. He has been silent.

Chieka and Eddie however...

Eddie has openly stated that the England fans should continue blaming himself and let the English coaching squad get on with things. I can't remeber anything remotely like gloating from Cheika regarding either Rennie or EJ (Eddie Jones).

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Just my impression of them based on the way they have carried on over the years
I cant recall a single time either of them have ever said anything negative about a former employer. Even when Joh O'Neil had a random go at Eddie for helping South Africa in 2007

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
I cant recall a single time either of them have ever said anything negative about a former employer. Even when Joh O'Neil had a random go at Eddie for helping South Africa in 2007
Fair enough

Mine was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment about what those two would do if they were in Rennie's shoes, nothing more

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
One thing having someone like Pone in the team will help with is winning the collision. For all the talk about securing rucks and lack of support, the single most important thing in winning rucks is the collision. It just gives the team that split second longer to arrive and it’s drastically easier to secure going forward than having to take a step back to secure. Missing Skelton and Tupou massively impacted this. Fiji would of won 2 out of ever 3 collisions.

Frost, Arnold, McReight, Porecki and even Slipper to a lesser degree, as a collective don’t help in this area of the game. All good individual players, but not sure if we can carry too many players that can’t dominate the contact zone.

Wales won’t be as explosive, which will help but they will employ choke tackles etc. to mitigate the contact zone. Not sure if we are that smart enough to do similar. This is where our lack of professional games across the entire country doesn’t help, because our collective think tanks aren’t presented with as many game scenarios as welsh rugby has. It’s why SRAU at this time of the year would be of benefit, get some slippery ball scenarios as the humidity rises that brings about proper kicking tactics employed at state level. That brings execution improvements, etc.