• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool D: Wallabies v Fiji, Sat 21st September, 2.45pm AEST, Sapporo Dome

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The journos are predicting with more confidence now (with apparent inside info):
- Pocock at 6, Hooper at 7, Isi at 8 with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) on the bench
- Latu starting with Uelese off the bench
- CLL and White to be starting halves

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Do we think a lock plus LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) off the bench? Or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) with Dempsey

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I love this rationale.

Pocock has a solid game against Samoa without doing anything overly flashy. Hooper was comfortably the best 7 in the Rugby Championship and topped a lot of statistical metrics yet the perception exists (and you're clearly not alone) that Hooper is going to be poor for the Wallabies.

Never said he will be poor. I'm a firm believer the best players we have in the wallabies are Hooper and Pocock. But Pocock is better and unfortunately plays in the same position.

For me, Pocock is a big game player and thrives on the big stage against the best opposition where his skills around the breakdown thrive.

I also think his game is much well-rounded then made out, he's a decent link man, and great at mauls. Much like Hooper who is often criticised for being poor around the breakdown and seagulling on the wing - which couldn't be further from the truth.

Although Hoopers strength over Poey has always been his mobility and attack - which I actually think has declined in recent years, he's not making the line-breaks he used too. He really just works like daemon and tackles everything in sight - but then again so does Pocock.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Do we think a lock plus LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) off the bench? Or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) with Dempsey

Lock plus LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) or Dempsey.

I think Coleman or Simmons add a lot of value coming from the bench. As we saw with Coleman's impact a few games ago, and Simmons can strengthen the line-out and maybe even win a few turn-overs there.

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Dempsey would offer similar traits - just pick one.

Unless you wanted to include another back - then LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) can cover both lock and backrow.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Or could be Coleman, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Dempsey, with only two backs?

I'd prefer 3 backs. Genia, To'omua/Foley (definitely need another 10 option in case CLL is struggling) - and an outside back cover would be nice - someone with pace to tear it up in the last 20min .... oh wait we don't have any.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Who will be our starting 13?

You would hope TK is fit and ready, this is not a game to play the shorter units. They will be lining up against Semi, he will make breaks, we just need to limit them

I would be playing Brumbie-ball, play to the corners, keep it tight, no space, no turn overs. set piece to set piece and maul to death

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Was interesting to hear on Rugby ruckus podcast that Fiji don't have a player in their squad with any experience as captain for their club, or calls the lineout.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I love this rationale.

Pocock has a solid game against Samoa without doing anything overly flashy. Hooper was comfortably the best 7 in the Rugby Championship and topped a lot of statistical metrics yet the perception exists (and you're clearly not alone) that Hooper is going to be poor for the Wallabies.

I love your re-interpreting of posts.

I can't see where Seb says that Hooper is going to be poor, and I'd suggest no-one really has said that. There are criticisms of the way he plays in the No 7 jersey and there are comparisons with the way Pocock plays which are often to Hooper's detriment, but rarely if ever has someone really said that Hooper is a poor player for the Wallabies.

Like Seb, and probably others, I believe Pocock will be the bench player if they both don't start, and possibly undeservedly so.

I see the reports that Latu will start against Fiji and Uelese will be on the bench. Both are excellent players but Latu has had behavioural issues which could have seen him disregarded completely, while Uelese has well documented injury issues. Joe Powell has been discarded and Tom Banks left behind to play NRC. Kuridrani has lost his spot to a sometimes wayward prodigal. Is there a pattern emerging here?

Sio, Slipper, Ala'alatoa and Arnold are vital cogs in the best performing tight five. How long will they survive I wonder? All of these players come from the clearly best performing (only side performing to Super Rugby finals standard) Super Rugby team in 2019 and half of them are either not with the RWC squad or are struggling to get game time.

I look forward to all the Cheika apologists now accusing me of Brumbies bias and adding the compulsory tin foil hat accusation.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
^^^
iu

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I believe there's a systematic programme in place to try and piss you off Brumby Runner. The fact that Brumbies players have to not be selected to achieve that is an unfortunate bi-product.

Cheika doesn't dislike the Brumbies, he just doesn't like you.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I believe there's a systematic programme in place to try and piss you off Brumby Runner. The fact that Brumbies players have to not be selected to achieve that is an unfortunate bi-product.

Cheika doesn't dislike the Brumbies, he just doesn't like you.

And it doesn't stop at rugby, either. Justin Langer is right off BR too, as evidenced by his continual selection of Matthew Wade.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Was interesting to hear on Rugby ruckus podcast that Fiji don't have a player in their squad with any experience as captain for their club, or calls the lineout.

what? Except for Mosese Voka who captained the Drua to the NRC championship last year?

Don't get sucked in to Geoff Webster. He's playing the underdog card big time (haven't listened to the podcast though).