• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool D: Wallabies v Fiji, Sat 21st September, 2.45pm AEST, Sapporo Dome

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I certainly wouldn't be trotting Uelese out ahead of Fainga'a.

When's team?

I'm personally excited by a bench with Pocock on it. Anyone remember the 'finishers rhetoric from last time round?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
2019 Rugby World Cup Pool D Game One v Australia
Flying Fijians Team

1. Campese Ma’afu
  2. Sam Matavesi
  3. Peni Ravai
  4. Tevita Cavubati
  5. Leone Nakarawa
  6. Dominiko Waqaniburotu
  7. Peceli Yato
  8. Viliame Mata
  9. Frank Lomani
  10. Ben Volavola
  11. Semi Radradra
  12. Levani Botia
  13. Waisea Nayacalevu
  14. Josua Tuisova
  15. Kini Murimurivalu
Reserves
  1. Veremalua Vugakoto
  2. Eroni Mawi
  3. Manasa Saulo
  4. Tevita Ratuva
  5. Mosese Voka
  6. Nikola Matawalu
  7. Alivereti Veitokani
  8. Vereniki Goneva

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
^ Fiji have been focusing on this game for something close to two years.

They'll put on a good showing

Was interesting to hear on Rugby ruckus podcast that Fiji don't have a player in their squad with any experience as captain for their club, or calls the lineout.

In fairness, he was talking about their pro players (in Europe/Japan/wherever).

I'd say he'd be on the money there.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
EEy5MrzUcAEq79N.jpg:large

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
in text

Wallabies team to play Fiji at Sapporo Dome, Sapporo on Saturday 21 September, 1.45pm JST
1. Scott Sio (59 Tests)
2. Tolu Latu (15 Tests)
3. Allan Ala'alatoa (33 Tests)
4. Izack Rodda (21 Tests)
5. Rory Arnold (22 Tests)
6. David Pocock (78 Tests)
7. Michael Hooper (c) (95 Tests)
8. Isi Naisarani (4 Tests)
9. Nic White (26 Tests)
10. Christian Lealiifano (22 Tests)
11. Marika Koroibete (24 Tests)
12. Samu Kerevi (vc) (29 Tests)
13. James O’Connor (48 Tests)
14. Reece Hodge (37 Tests)
15. Kurtley Beale (87 Tests)

Reserves

16. Jordan Uelese (4 Tests)
17. James Slipper (91 Tests)
18. Sekope Kepu (106 Tests)
19. Adam Coleman (34 Tests)
20. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (16 Tests)
21. Will Genia (105 Tests)
22. Matt To’omua (47 Tests)
23. Dane Haylett-Petty (33 Tests)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
TT was great against his two game vs AB's... even the one we lost. So really strange decision there. Also wondering what Faianga has done to get over-taken by Uelese.

Dempsey > LLS would be preferable but no biggy.

But other then that, think the team is pretty good, starting squad is the best we got.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Kepu's selection is a bit of a head scratcher. Is TT injured? At this stage I really can't see how you could select Kepu in at 23 ahead of TT. Leaving aside the 2 or 3 poor scrums he dished up in the last game, he's shown himself to be a great impact player off the bench and is well ahead of Kepu in 2019.

I can only assume it's tactical? The most concerning thing about that selection is that it tends to indicate that Kepu will be the preferred choice against Wales also.

Reactions: dru
B

Bobby Sands

Concerned about carrying both LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Coleman with no lighter backrower.

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is the perfect bench lock/6 for mine.

Dempsey the dogsbody backrower.

Reactions: dru

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Concerned about carrying both LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Coleman with no lighter backrower.

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is the perfect bench lock/6 for mine.

Dempsey the dogsbody backrower.

Why do we need a lighter back rower on the bench? We're starting two number 7s

B

Bobby Sands

I love your re-interpreting of posts.

I can't see where Seb says that Hooper is going to be poor, and I'd suggest no-one really has said that. There are criticisms of the way he plays in the No 7 jersey and there are comparisons with the way Pocock plays which are often to Hooper's detriment, but rarely if ever has someone really said that Hooper is a poor player for the Wallabies.

Like Seb, and probably others, I believe Pocock will be the bench player if they both don't start, and possibly undeservedly so.

I see the reports that Latu will start against Fiji and Uelese will be on the bench. Both are excellent players but Latu has had behavioural issues which could have seen him disregarded completely, while Uelese has well documented injury issues. Joe Powell has been discarded and Tom Banks left behind to play NRC. Kuridrani has lost his spot to a sometimes wayward prodigal. Is there a pattern emerging here?

Sio, Slipper, Ala'alatoa and Arnold are vital cogs in the best performing tight five. How long will they survive I wonder? All of these players come from the clearly best performing (only side performing to Super Rugby finals standard) Super Rugby team in 2019 and half of them are either not with the RWC squad or are struggling to get game time.

I look forward to all the Cheika apologists now accusing me of Brumbies bias and adding the compulsory tin foil hat accusation.

The laughing at you, is endemic for me anyway, of why most Australian rugby fans think the Waratahs are a virus.

I think your post is well-reasoned and explained for what its worth.

B

Bobby Sands

Why do we need a lighter back rower on the bench? We're starting two number 7s

Because if we get an injury our "lighter" backrow plan goes out the window.

It also means we have less levers to adjust our game style based on how the game unfolds.

Generally the game opens up, not tightens up as fatigue sets in. Also LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) can't play 8 and Dempsey can which means that Dave will need to play 8 if Isa gets injured, and we all know that isn't ideal for his skillset (even though he can do it).

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
Australia to win it by 12 points, i expect a major Australia player to limp off from this (hope not marika cause he is marking the Bus)

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Pretty spot on with that team I think. That's a very cap-heavy bench there, lots of experience. Pleased to see Pooper there, I think against Fiji we can manage the drop in lineout quality.

TT out is odd.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Dave will need to play 8 if Isa gets injured, and we all know that isn't ideal for his skillset (even though he can do it).

I think he's fine there isn't he? Pretty safe hands at the back of scrums and decent link man. Not a damaging runner, but he won't let anyone down. He must have played 10+ games there now for the Wallabies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The laughing at you, is endemic for me anyway, of why most Australian rugby fans think the Waratahs are a virus.

I think your post is well-reasoned and explained for what its worth.
BR might be taken more seriously if he hadn't been screaming conspiracy at every selection for the last 5 years.

Every fan base is as bias as the next, particularly in Aus. Each also tends to think the other is more bias.