• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool D - Wallabies vs Uruguay -Saturday October 5 2019 @ 2:15pm

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think that is one thing that isn’t Cheika’s fault. All our options are solid at soup level and that’s it. I actually think it’s worth chucking JOC (James O'Connor) in there v Georgia and see what happens. I mean we did nearly win a Lions series with him there if it weren’t for moulded soles. ;-). We’ve got nothing to lose IMO

And i’d partner Genia with him:

9. Genia
10. O’Connor
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani

22. Kerevi 10 mins into the second half

I think
10. To'omua
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Kuridrani
is much more logical. To'omua has recent good form in the 10 jersey and much more experience controlling a game. JOC (James O'Connor) very little experience at 10 compared to To'omua.

I think it's worth a look.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think
10. To'omua
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Kuridrani
is much more logical. To'omua has recent good form in the 10 jersey and much more experience controlling a game. JOC (James O'Connor) very little experience at 10 compared to To'omua.
Turinui wasn’t too happy with JOC (James O'Connor)’s performance against Wales. I’d prefer the same 10-13 we played today.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Turinui wasn’t too happy with JOC (James O'Connor)’s performance against Wales. I’d prefer the same 10-13 we played today.
I think his issue with him was his defensive reads at 13. He might be more suited in closer. Kerevi might be suited out wider for several reasons. It works I reckon.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think his issue with him was his defensive reads at 13. He might be more suited in closer.

He also said he ran sideways a lot in attack. I think that's equally easy to do playing 12 with a 13 like Kurindrani always running back in on the unders line. I like MT at 12 because he always takes it straight at the line.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Are they still awarding MOTM awards off viewer votes?

Regardless, Kuridrani was easily one of the best on ground today.
Sorta.

He ran some great lines into holes.

I'd hate to be a winger outside of him though. He isnt great at draw and pass. This is one of Bob Dwyers criticisms of TK and although Bob can play the cranky old man a bit too often, in the case of TK's passing skills I think he is right.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The worst thing about this game is the 9-10-12 axis has done naught. All the direction is coming from the back. I’ve got no fucking idea what we do in the quarters.

If only we had Foley at 10 calling the shots. All will be well with the world when we have the Foley, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Beale axis.:(:mad:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Bit weird to be blaming Cheika for terrible handling and high tackles.

Not really UTG. It looked to me that he sent them out there with instructions to hit hard, play hard and don't give a fucking inch. Of course, that is a game plan that never works because players invariably push too hard and incur penalties and cards, just like the Wallabies did today.

I could see it at scrum time too, where even with only 7 men in the scrum the instruction must have been to keep the ball at the No 8's feet to win penalties. Dempsey did just that on two or three occasions much to the detriment of the attack on the Uruguyan try line. I would rather attribute such woeful tactics to the coach than to the player.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Not really UTG. It looked to me that he sent them out there with instructions to hit hard, play hard and don't give a fucking inch. Of course, that is a game plan that never works because players invariably push too hard and incur penalties and cards, just like the Wallabies did today.

I could see it at scrum time too, where even with only 7 men in the scrum the instruction must have been to keep the ball at the No 8's feet to win penalties. Dempsey did just that on two or three occasions much to the detriment of the attack on the Uruguyan try line. I would rather attribute such woeful tactics to the coach than to the player.
No. Once they’re out there the players make the calls. You can blame the coach for the structure or lack of, but not the game play.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

I think you'll find that it was Nic Whites call to keep that ball in.
More often then not it is the halfbacks call to keep it on or play it since he is the only one with eyes up watching the ref and the opposition defensive line.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Just for the sake of entertainment i wish scrums were actually used as attacking platforms rather than penalty machines occasionally.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeh Mate our convincing options at 10 are ummm. Non existent!

Probably why I see amongst other reasons why wallabies won’t lift RWC

Isn't that what most of us have been saying for the past couple of years or more? We cannot win the RWC with Foley at 10. Think I've seen it at least 100 times, and is proving to be a pretty much on the money.