• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC QF 2 NZ v FRA (Millenium Stadium) 18th Oct 0600 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I forget which poster here does the breakdown analysis for Wallaby games and few others but almost every AB game he does, McCaw is one of the best - if not the best - player on the pitch at the breakdown.

It's unbelievable the level which he is still playing at.

That would be our man Forcefan.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He gets to attacking breakdowns but he doesn't impact defensive ones which is a 7s main job.

WOOLI

Frank Nicholson (4)
I forget which poster here does the breakdown analysis for Wallaby games and few others but almost every AB game he does, McCaw is one of the best - if not the best - player on the pitch at the breakdown.

It's unbelievable the level which he is still playing at.

Except that he is always offside.

Oh, do stop sneering unpleasantly you Kiwis. Yes, I know you've got a great team going into this tournament, well coached, with a good string of form and led by a Captain for the Rugby Ages. Even if, wherever he is right now, whatever he is doing, I'll just BET he's offside.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/rugby-world-cup/rugby-world-cup-2015-why-all-blacks-wont-win-biggest-prize-again-until-2035-20150916-gjo989.html#ixzz3oQp4CaMf
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Except that he is always offside.

Hold still, this won't hurt a bit.

decom2.gif

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
qwerty - McCaw tops the tackle count for the ABs in almost every test he plays. He is still far more prominent at the breakdown than Cane. AS long as McCaw has one good foot he is still very much in the top 2-3 players for the ABs. But not that an Aussie sees that..

As for Carter, he may not have the running game that Barrett has now but he is far more reliable defensively and as a goal kicker. Plus Barrett is the perfect bench man because he can cover 10 and fullback. The strategy for the ABs is t hat barring injury Barrett will come on at fullback with 20-25 to go and Ben Smith goes to the wing.

Don't bother ACT, you should realise by now that qwerty is either a very poor troll, or someone who doesn't really know a lot about rugby. For the last 4 years he has been explaining to whoever will listen that Richie is past it, or never had it etc etc.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
He gets to attacking breakdowns but he doesn't impact defensive ones which is a 7s main job.

Really?

Last game against ARG:

Tied for most number of defensive rucks involved in at 7
100% of those times he was early and 71% of the time he had 'impact'.

Going by those stats - best AB on the park.

View attachment 7039

2nd Bledisloe this year:

far and away the No.1 player involved in defensive rucks at 15 involvements - more than twice the next guy with 93% involvement 'early' and 100% with 'impact'.

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 7.07.29 PM.png

Bledisloe 1:

Again - the most defensive involvements from an AB at 13. 100% early and 100% impact.
Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 7.11.10 PM.png

McCaw is a machine on both office AND defence.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 7.02.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 7.02.37 PM.png
    146.9 KB · Views: 190

WOOLI

Frank Nicholson (4)
Really?

Last game against ARG:

Tied for most number of defensive rucks involved in at 7
100% of those times he was early and 71% of the time he had 'impact'.

Going by those stats - best AB on the park.

View attachment 7039

2nd Bledisloe this year:

far and away the No.1 player involved in defensive rucks at 15 involvements - more than twice the next guy with 93% involvement 'early' and 100% with 'impact'.

View attachment 7040
Bledisloe 1:

Again - the most defensive involvements from an AB at 13. 100% early and 100% impact.
View attachment 7042

McCaw is a machine on both office AND defence.

We all know about "early" and offside.

It's a pity the refs don't

If we could get him to stay in the "office", I think all Oz would be stoked.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Plenty of people writing the French off on the basis that they haven't played well this tournament. This may end up being the case, but I'd simply indicate the following:

In 1999 France had a fairly ordinary pool stage, they managed to beat Canada by 13, Nambia by 30 and Fiji by 9. There were 5 pools in those days and the 5 2nd place getters played the best 3rd placegetter (Argentina) in the quarters. France then beat Argentina (a much poorer team than they are now). No one (including the French) gave France a chance against NZ in the semi. France were a bit of a rabble in the first half and were down 10-24 at half time, before turning on one of the best 40 minutes in the history of test rugby to win 43-31.

In 2007 they lost their opening game to Argentina and beat Georgia, Namibia and a very poor Ireland side, while NZ came through their pool with a 40-0 win over Scotland as their closest match. Again, no one gave them a chance in the quarter final against the ABs.

In both cases, it was the only decent match that the French had played in the RWC. If they can put it together, anything can happen. The ABs on form should win this by 30 points, but................;)

WOOLI

Frank Nicholson (4)
Plenty of people writing the French off on the basis that they haven't played well this tournament. This may end up being the case, but I'd simply indicate the following:

In 1999 France had a fairly ordinary pool stage, they managed to beat Canada by 13, Nambia by 30 and Fiji by 9. There were 5 pools in those days and the 5 2nd place getters played the best 3rd placegetter (Argentina) in the quarters. France then beat Argentina (a much poorer team than they are now). No one (including the French) gave France a chance against NZ in the semi. France were a bit of a rabble in the first half and were down 10-24 at half time, before turning on one of the best 40 minutes in the history of test rugby to win 43-31.

In 2007 they lost their opening game to Argentina and beat Georgia, Namibia and a very poor Ireland side, while NZ came through their pool with a 40-0 win over Scotland as their closest match. Again, no one gave them a chance in the quarter final against the ABs.

In both cases, it was the only decent match that the French had played in the RWC. If they can put it together, anything can happen. The ABs on form should win this by 30 points, but......;)

Vive Le Bleu!

And Wobbles go thru to bring back Bill.

But I would like to see a NZ-OZ final. It would be a cracker.

Best luck to all remaining teams.

At least we won't have to listen to Sink Low Sweet Chariot

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
FFS give the refs bullshit a rest.

I think the refereeing has been the best it ever has been at this RWC in terms of consistency within and across the games. Yes each ref will have their personality in the game, and that is and always has been a part of Rugby, it is part of the personality of the game and I wouldn't change it.

All I have ever wanted was consistency and the blatant illegalities taken out of the game. I pretty much have that now, excepting the maul, but that is a discussion for another thread and another RWC.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
FFS give the refs bullshit a rest.

I think the refereeing has been the best it ever has been at this RWC in terms of consistency within and across the games. Yes each ref will have their personality in the game, and that is and always has been a part of Rugby, it is part of the personality of the game and I wouldn't change it.

All I have ever wanted was consistency and the blatant illegalities taken out of the game. I pretty much have that now, excepting the maul, but that is a discussion for another thread and another RWC.

Righto. Next time we wanna discuss something we'll run it by you first to see if you're OK with it - or otherwise, if you have your inhaler nearby.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Funnily enough both him and Barnes, who I think is odds on to get the final btw, have been much better at making tacklers roll than is usually the case.

They can actually just give it to him now. He's been one of the best - next to Owens - at this world cup and his team definitely won't be in the final.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Don't rule out Barnes suddenly allowing players to lie all over the breakdown at some point.

Why? Is he taking advice from Bryce Lawrence?

Seriously though, I have honestly not seen him in the 6 nations - does he have a tendency to do this there? I think he's grown a lot since 2007 and has become one of the top referees in the world on a consistent basis.

Even though we were on the receiving end, I was impressed with how he handled Fourie du Preez vs. Samoa. "You've lost that ability, haven't you?" when Fdp was complaining at yet another ruck - basically saying "You're making a mistake if you think you'll influence my decisions".

If he can do that with every team/scrum half, he can't go wrong.

If Wales don't make it to the final, Owens might just pip him though.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
The Wallabies are currently blasting out AC/DC’s ‘Thunderstruck’ in their final captains training run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LAk_uZ7-s4
I think New Zealand should also adopted this, with the ideal choice being NZ's own Split Enz’s ‘History Never Repeats’ for their final captains training run.

There’s pure poetry in the lyrics

History never repeats
I tell myself before I go to sleep
Don't say the words you might regret
I've lost before you know I can't forget

There was a girl I used to know
She dealt my love a savage blow
I was so young, too blind to see
But anyway that's History

(I say) History never repeats
I Tell myself before I go to sleep
Don't say the words you might regret
I've lost before you know I can't forget

You say I always played the fool
I can't go on if that's the rule
Better to jump than hesitate
I need a change and I can't wait

History never repeats
And there's a light shining in the dark
Leading me on towards a change of heart (ah-ar)

History never repeats
History never repeats

Deep in the night it's all so clear
I lie awake with great ideas
Lurking about in no-man's land
I think at last I understand

History never repeats
And there's a light shining in the dark
Leading me on towards a change of heart (ah-ar)
Never repeats
Never repeats
Never repeats
Hey hey, hey

Status
Not open for further replies.