• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC QF 4 AUS v SCO (Twickenham) 19th Oct 0200 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I've not picked up footage of thè incidents, does anyone know when they occurred? I, along with 4 match officials and several hundred thousand fans seem to be completely unaware that they happened.

If Fraser can play 70+ minutes, we'll be OK in the Hooker department, the big drop is Brown to Bryce not Ford to Brown.

Jonny will be much harder. The drop to Swinson is not insignificant for starters, while Gilchrist was replaced with an Openside, meaning one of Denton, Strauss and Wilson will have to be lock cover. They've all done it before, to varying degrees of success, but there's a reason that they're all backrowers.

Hopefully it ends up being off field yellows, but that's just optimism.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
RE the nationality, every time an Australian is cited by a NZer with no NZ game coming up there are numerous (admittedly plenty tongue in cheek) comments on this site.

I must admit I feel like all officials should be, and likely are professional enough to not allow their country of birth to get in the way of doing their job. Having said that, I think the purpose of that rule is to combat perception, and they should probably have a look at doing the same thing for citing officers.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
RE the nationality, every time an Australian is cited by a NZer with no NZ game coming up there are numerous (admittedly plenty tongue in cheek) comments on this site.

I must admit I feel like all officials should be, and likely are professional enough to not allow their country of birth to get in the way of doing their job. Having said that, I think the purpose of that rule is to combat perception, and they should probably have a look at doing the same thing for citing officers.

Plus if someone does feel their player has been railroaded there's an appeal process. To mis-quote Churchill, the only thing worse than the system we have is any of the alternatives.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

I agree.

But when Skelton and Latu got done for their effort on Whitelock at Homebush this year (Tahs v Cru) then not long afterward, Robbie Fruean dumped NMS on his head and got but a yellow card, you have to wonder.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
I agree.

But when Skelton and Latu got done for their effort on Whitelock at Homebush this year (Tahs v Cru) then not long afterward, Robbie Fruean dumped NMS on his head and got but a yellow card, you have to wonder.

Sorry, my post was horribly worded. I was trying to say that the Scots have as much right to be antsy about the citing officer's nationality as we do in situations like that one. In fact, probably more so since we're about to play them in a RWC quarter final.

I agree that the process is far from perfect, but as Waiopehu alluded to, I'm not sure World Rugby is capable of implementing anything better (even if a better system were designed).

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Found the incident.

https://streamable.com/t5rp

For mine, I think Jonny will get away with an off field yellow, but as the assist, Ford will have a lot more scrutiny and miss a week or two.

Hmmm...

They've both grabbed a leg and almost wishboned the bloke. The fact that Ford has him over the shoulder might make things look worse for Ford, but I don't think his impact is any worse.

Its one of those situations where they've both tried the same thing - and I've seen it in this world cup - where you take a leg and roll them off the side ruck. Problem is they've done it together.

Reminds me a little of the incident that ended BOD's 2005 Lions tour.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Once again it raises the different opinions that refs and citing officers hold for dangerous play.

The officer is now saying they should have both had red cards, which would have destroyed the game and caused meltdowns all over the place.

The red card threshold process has to change. Its undermining everybody.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Very much agree with others here that Folau and Pocock shouldn't be on the field for either their own good or the good of the team.

Hooper and McCalman will work nicely, whilst Beale at the back will be more than a handful (given Folau's ankle has made his high ball work less secure anyway), and possibly bringing Speight onto the bench, where his power game could do some real damage in the last 20.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
I agree.

Let is go Pfitzy, let it go.
We all know the citing commissioners are "independent", except when it involves anti-Aussie or pro-NZ decisions:)

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Firstly he's an INDEPENDENT Citing Commissioner, not an Australian one & where do you draw the line? If he can't be an Aussie cos that's who Scotland are playing then surely he can't be Irish or Argentinian cos that's who they potential play next; nor South African nor New Zealander cos that's who they potentially play after that. Drains the pool of ICC's pretty quickly which is why they're INDEPENDENT in the first place :)

You're right about the place going into meltdown if the nationalities of ICC & the cited players were reversed but that's just human nature, innit? Doesn't make it right & certainly doesn't mean anyone should do things differently just to appease people who'd find fault in any alternative cos that's just the way they are.

The ideal Citing Commissioner would come from Rampant, Paranoia.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Once again it raises the different opinions that refs and citing officers hold for dangerous play.

The officer is now saying they should have both had red cards, which would have destroyed the game and caused meltdowns all over the place.

The red card threshold process has to change. Its undermining everybody.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

I agree. The term "red card threshold" has to go. It leads to linguistic confusion.

This is an example. When the citing officer does his thing he's not saying they should have got onfield red cards. Citing offences by their nature often get picked up after the event, and referees are generally (and rightly) conservative when issuing reds on the field.

The actual process is fine. Off field penalties can be harsher using the same thresholds because they don't run the risk of ruining games.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Cheika has spent nearly all his time as Wallaby coach testing those in gold as he rotated players in and out of his various match squads. TBH I don't think he knows, or cares, what his best 23 players are, he wants the whole squad to be or feel they're in gold and on the paddock. This is done deliberately to foster competition in the squad as well as ensuring there's good flexibility for different game strategies and/or injuries. Admittedly, Pocock and Folau are probably among the two first selected for any test, but I think the team loses very little by having McCalman and Beale start instead of them. Even against the ABs or Bokke.

If Pocock and Folau aren't 98% fit I sincerely hope they aren't selected.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
But its critical to make sure that we don't provide Scotland with ammunition that we are dismissive by not playing two of our best players.

Never forget Newcastle (or wherever it bloody was), it's largely removed from my memory

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't get that thinking. Scotland are at 100% motivation to win already.

If we straight out said to them, we think you're shit and will lose by 100. Are they going to really play better than if we said nothing?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Motivation? If our "A" team, the one which beat England, could beat the Sweaties by 30 I reckon the "B" team would put 50 on them. The Oz players not looking like getting selected will be mightily motivated if they get the chance.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Aussie citing commissioner citing two Scottish players the week before a QF between Scotland and Australia doesn't look great. Won't affect the result in a month of Sundays because Scotland are rubbish but it doesn't inspire confidence.

Nothing in the citing process either at the RWC or at SANZAR has ever inspired me with any confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.