• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC QF 4 AUS v SCO (Twickenham) 19th Oct 0200 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The final penalty was a tough call but thats rugby. I actually thought joubert should have blown a penalty to the wallabies at the last scrum.

I think the stats of the game will show the wallabies were mostly the better side. They scored 5 tries to 3 and two of the scots tries were against the run of play. Big credit to Scots for playing their hearts out.

I thought the wallabies were a bit flat generally and wonder whether the pool of death is taking its toll.

Argentina are going to be super tough although thats not a bad match up for the wallabies. The loss of Sio will be tough to cover though. His world cup looks to be over.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I don't understand this idea of Scotland's tries being scored 'against the run of play'?!

The defence puts pressure on and the attack falters, makes a mistake and the opposition scores a try.

I don't think that in any of Scotland's tries, the Wallabies were on red hot attack and close to scoring their own try were they? It's not like there was an intercept 5 metres out from the Scottish line or some kind of bad luck against the Wallabies resulting in Scotland scoring.

Relance

Herbert Moran (7)
Well said, it was a fucking shambles and should be the end of Joubert's reffing career.

Bit much for a 50/50 call, don't you think ?

Cotter has really turned this Scottish team around, very nice to see. The choice of the rush defense is fitting given how well their backs read the game.

I thought Beale was very good: defusing bombs, injecting himself in the line at will, with good decision-making except for one occasion. Kicking for territory wasn't too shabby either, especially at the end.

Where were the finishers ?

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
What has that got to do with the final penalty call?

For what it's worth the Wallabies were also "gifted" tries by dumb defensive decisions of Scotland. just like the poor decisions by Foley and Slipper. Fun game this isn't it..

2 gift tries = 14 points
1 penalty kick = 3 points

Yeah, the Scots were lucky

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
After the big scare I regained faith.

My positive review:

This was the worst Wallaby game in this WC, it wont be repeated. The ABs game vs France was their best game, it wont be repeated.

Go the mighty Wallabies!!!!!!

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't understand this idea of Scotland's tries being scored 'against the run of play'?!

The defence puts pressure on and the attack falters, makes a mistake and the opposition scores a try.

I don't think that in any of Scotland's tries, the Wallabies were on red hot attack and close to scoring their own try were they? It's not like there was an intercept 5 metres out from the Scottish line or some kind of bad luck against the Wallabies resulting in Scotland scoring.

I dont think anyone is trying to take credit away from the scots for those tries, but they both required an element of luck and a moment of error from australia. You say they were scored from pressure but australia werent under anyvconsiderable pressure on either occasion. The intercept try was a result of terrible execution in our 22 when we could have easily kicked down field. With the charge down try foley should have cleared his line with the time and space he had. Those tries were about scotland capitalising on very avoidable errors

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)

What I presume people mean when they say they were "gifted tries" was that they were the exploitation of poor Australian decision-making when it came to exits from their 22; i.e. not manufactured from attacking pressure.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I dont think anyone is trying to take credit away from the scots for those tries, but they both required an element of luck and a moment of error from australia. You say they were scored from pressure but australia werent under anyvconsiderable pressure on either occasion. The intercept try was a result of terrible execution in our 22 when we could have easily kicked down field. With the charge down try foley should have cleared his line with the time and space he had. Those tries were about scotland capitalising on very avoidable errors

Sounds like you are trying to take credit away.

Australia's tries were down to terrible defensive execution by Scotland. Midfield players could've made different decisions.

What difference does it make?

Australia were under pressure when those situations occurred, or else why did they make them? Just as Scotland were under pressure to better align defensively, and OZ took advantage.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

But that's how a lot of tries are scored in rugby. And a lot, if not most, errors are avoidable.

I think all 3 tries were from Scotland putting pressure on Australia in the Wallaby half or 22. That is part of the 'play' so the tries were not against the run of play in any way at all.

And I do think that some posters are trying to take credit away from Scotland.

UnionThug

Frank Row (1)
Well it seems that everyone is going to argue until they are blue in the face about this one but watching it step by step this is what I see:
  1. Denton (8) knocks the ball back from the lineout.
  2. Laidlaw (9) and Holmes (18) chase the ball and both attempt to take it but Laidlaw connects and at this point the initial knock on occurs.
  3. Immediately afterwards Strauss (20) and Phipps (21) collide and the ball ricochets away. The ball either comes forward off Strauss' back or backwards off Phipps' shoulder.
  4. Welsh (18) then deliberately catches the ball, forward of the position where Laidlaw initially knocked on from.
Ultimately the relevant laws are 11.3(c) and 11.7.

11.7 states "When a player knocks-on and an offside team-mate next plays the ball, the offside player is liable to sanction if playing the ball prevented an opponent from gaining an advantage. Sanction: penalty kick"

There is can be no argument that Welsh did not play the ball, nor can there be an argument that he prevented the Wallabies from gaining advantage as he has taken possession of the ball.

The only question that can be posed was had Welsh been brought back onside by any player's actions after the initial knock on from Laidlaw? The only possible way that he could have been brought back onside is if Phipps has INTENTIONALLY touched the ball under law 11.3(c).

From the replay it appears that there is a possibility that it might have bounced off Phipps' shoulder (or it might have been Strauss' back) in a collision between the two players a split second after the first knock on. From what I can see it would be a very long stretch to say that Phipps has intentionally touched the ball.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
What I presume people mean when they say they were "gifted tries" was that they were the exploitation of poor Australian decision-making when it came to exits from their 22; i.e. not manufactured from attacking pressure.

They were manufactured by defensive pressure which is just as important and relevant as attacking pressure = NOT against the run of play.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Trust Qwerty to deride Slipper for his blunder but remain silent on Foley leaving at least 11 points on the field whilst also giving 7 to Scotland.

Thats the logic of a Tahs supporter. If Cooper was played that first half, he wold be crucified in Moore Park

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
Well said, it was a fucking shambles and should be the end of Joubert's reffing career. The late tackle on Hogg should have been looked at and so should the last offside which clearly came off Phipps. The game looks utterly stupid now.
Nope. Decisions go for and against you throughout matches and seasons. Learn to love the game.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
If you go for an intercept it is by definition deliberate. Needs to be a realistic chance of intercepting it and not just an overwhelming chance of a knock on.

I understand the spirit of what you're trying to say but it's not logically consistent. Trying to catch any ball is deliberate but that doesn't make all knockons deliberate.

I wouldn't mind though it the laws were altered to make it an automatic penalty for any attempted intercept that goes wrong. Harsh but consistent for all. I'm not a fan of intercepts anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
They were manufactured by defensive pressure which is just as important and relevant as attacking pressure = NOT against the run of play.
It's all semantics though.

Australia won. However I would not have been too perturbed if Scotland had won considering how well they played. We certainly did not make it easy for ourselves, and that was compounded by the Scottish pressure.

Australia will need to improve immeasurably to compete with Los Pumas.

Status
Not open for further replies.