• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC - Wallabies v Italy - 11th September 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

manlypanda

I know that there is a gulf in class between the NH and the SH, or at least there's supposed to be, but having Italy first could be a disaster for the Wallabies.
1. The Italians might win. That's unlikely, but hardly impossible, especially if Italy can get a few penalties at scrum time.
2. A Wallaby victory will come at the cost of bumps and bruises. The Italians hit hard, and might disrupt preparation for the Ireland game.
3. A key player might get injured. That seems to be the main worry of people on the forum, but it's a fair shout. Genia looks like a key man, and if I Parisse, I'd try to get hold of him.
4. A squeaky victory and the press - and the Irish - will be after the Wallabies. Sorry to say it, but Aussie media is as fickle as the English when it comes to the national team. Unless it's a stroll - which it surely won't be - some people will not be satisfied with a victory.

All things considered, getting the tougher test of the Irish out of the way first might have been better.

Thoughts?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The aus media does not compare to either the English or kiwis.

We need a hard game to build on our last start good performance. I think it is a good thing. Having Ireland 6 days later is the harder task. At least both games are in the same city.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Can I throw another point into this discussion?

Italy need to beat either ireland or australia to qualify for the next round (as well as the others in the group). They will believe they have a better shot at the Irish than the wallabies, and will probably target that game as their Grand Final. Although they have a good break after the Wallaby game (playing Russia on the 20th) it would not suprise me if they rested some of the big name players, or at the least tried out some new halves combinations (since they cant decide who are the best pair).

My prediction is that they will lose by 30, although I would love to see them front up and push Australia hard.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I reckon they will throw everything at us. Only if they are losing by a bit in the 2nd half will they consider resting some players then.

Higher probability of winning one game if you try you best in two!

D

daz

I reckon they will throw everything at us.

+1.

I expect the Italians to come at us with all guns blazing.

Every game should be treated as a final. Maybe the personel will change but the intensity shouldn't, otherwise it is all too easy to be standing at the airport 2-3 weeks earlier than planned, scratching your head and wondering how it all went so wrong.

Just ask the Wobs circa 2007.

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
I know that there is a gulf in class between the NH and the SH, or at least there's supposed to be, but having Italy first could be a disaster for the Wallabies.

All things considered, getting the tougher test of the Irish out of the way first might have been better.

Thoughts?

It would be a disaster if the Wallabies contrived to lose this, but it doesn't seem likely. But I'm hoping that the Italians really do show up and give the Wallabies a bit of a fight/fright.

The only problem is the news out of the Italian camp was all about playing a 'conservative' game, which I read as keeping it it tight and playing it in the forwards. So it doesn't sound like the Oz backs will get tested in defence, which is a pity, beacuse that is the area where we could learn who our best selection is heading towrads the knockout phases.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
1. The Italians might win. That's unlikely, but hardly impossible, especially if Italy can get a few penalties at scrum time.
2. A Wallaby victory will come at the cost of bumps and bruises. The Italians hit hard, and might disrupt preparation for the Ireland game.
3. A key player might get injured. That seems to be the main worry of people on the forum, but it's a fair shout. Genia looks like a key man, and if I Parisse, I'd try to get hold of him.
4. A squeaky victory and the press - and the Irish - will be after the Wallabies. Sorry to say it, but Aussie media is as fickle as the English when it comes to the national team. Unless it's a stroll - which it surely won't be - some people will not be satisfied with a victory.

Thoughts?

We have to find out if our starting 15 are upto the forwards challenge. We can't win the RWC unless we can atleast get close to parity against teams with forward orientated play. I posted earlier that I think its great having Italy first up for this reason.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The only problem is the news out of the Italian camp was all about playing a 'conservative' game, which I read as keeping it it tight and playing it in the forwards. So it doesn't sound like the Oz backs will get tested in defence, which is a pity, beacuse that is the area where we could learn who our best selection is heading towrads the knockout phases.

Have you watched the Italian backs?

I don't think they have the ability to test our backs in defence. McCabe and Fainga'a are going to smash their centres every time they try and spread it.

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
Have you watched the Italian backs?

I don't think they have the ability to test our backs in defence. McCabe and Fainga'a are going to smash their centres every time they try and spread it.

Yes, and I don't think they'll spread it at all, they'll kick the leather off it.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I expect the Italians to come at us with all guns blazing.

Every game should be treated as a final. Maybe the personel will change but the intensity shouldn't, otherwise it is all too easy to be standing at the airport 2-3 weeks earlier than planned, scratching your head and wondering how it all went so wrong.

you dont know many italians, do you? :)

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
Hmmm.

http://www.rugbylivebet.com/news/20...-australia-ireland-italy-russia-usa-1308.html

Players to watch: Genia, Cooper and Beale are in world’s top 3 scrum-halves, fly-halves and full-back respectively. Ioane, O’Connor and Mitchell are scoring machines. Pocock, Higginbotham and Samo can tackle, clean and run with the ball. Watch out for Polota-Nau’s strong hits.

Weakness: In a top class backline the midfield is the weakest link. McCabe and Ashley-Cooper have to lift their game. Elsom’s performances are erratic. Not much depth upfront.

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
I'll just chuck the Azzuri team here as well

Andrea Masi, Tommaso Benvenuti, Gonzalo Canale, Gonzalo Garcia, Mirco Bergamasco, Luciano Orquera, Fabio Semenzato,

Sergio Parisse (captain), Robert Barbieri, Alessandro Zanni, Cornelius Van Zyl, Carlo Antonio Del Fava, Martin Castrogiovanni, Leonardo Ghiraldini, Andrea Lo Cicero.

Reserves: Tommaso D'Apice, Lorenzo Cittadini, Marco Bortolami, Paul Derbyshire, Edoardo Gori, Riccardo Bocchino, Luke McLean.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/5595153/Italian-coach-Mallett-rates-Wallabies-as-best

D

daz

I was cheering as if I was Italian when the Azzuri toppled France in that brilliant 6N game this year.

How the worm turns; now I just want them crushed. :)

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I didn't realise this game was being played at north harbour stadium. A chill of dread has just run down my back. Aus teams (NRL or RU) do not have a good record at this stadium (I learne the hard way afetr mouthing off in a bar in takapuna during a league test match) so any wobbly win will be welcomed by myself.

J

Jumpers

Mr. Deans has done his coaching job of the Wannabes well and just to remind people he is a kiwi who has learned his rugby craft in NZ.
Great to see some consistency coming back into the selections and Mr. James O'Connor warming the bench ready to play. Its a pity the Wannabes don't have alot of depth in their ranks just in case there are serious injuries. James Horwill appears to have the measure of being captain but can he lead? Can the Wannabes forwards mix it with the Big teams? Perhaps the team can only play one dimensional and rely on kicking? The Wannabes will have a good win against Italy, they'll be a few bruises and maybe injuries but a good performance is required and now is the time to do it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.