• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC - Wallabies v Italy - 11th September 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I agree that the very good players we have, who've been out of action for so long, need a run sooner rather than later. I just don't feel that the 1st half against Italy is the time to do it. I honestly think that after a 20pt lead has been achieved in the 2nd half would be the better situation.
30mins for Burgess/ Barnes at half & 5/8, and 20 mins for Slipper, Ma'afu, Horne, Mitchell and 10 mins for Sharpe. Same treatment again for Ireland except maybe give JOC (James O'Connor) a run and then let all of them start against Russia and USA.

The team has been announced (full strength) and Barnes, Ma'afu, Horne and Mitchell aren't in the 22...

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I'm with Lee, I hope we are in a position (and I think we will be) to give some of the bench players some good minutes. Obviously the all the forwards, particularly TPN and Slipper so they can quickly get back to their best.

As far as the backs are concerned, I would hope we can afford for Burgess to have some extended time, but I wouldn't be taking QC (Quade Cooper) off. The more time he has the better he will get, and he is no where near his best yet.

It would be a toss up for me in taking off either one of the centres or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). I don't think we are that desperate for a back up to Beale, as O'Connor and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are recent wallabies there, and QC (Quade Cooper) is spending a lot of time back there already.

But this is all assuming we will have the game well in hand, which is far from guaranteed.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
barbarian

That was a very good article by Cully, indeed. Mind you, he could have written the good and bad points of all the other top nations also; so we should not get precious about some negative points he made. We know them well.

1. These are the reactions of men who know that points left uncollected will come back to haunt them, all too aware of their own side's vulnerabilities and weak points.

2. It is a matter of some amusement that the name of tight-head Martin Castrogiovanni's name was excluded on recent dispatches about alleged repeated cheating, but the Wallabies will be keenly aware of the special challenges the Caveman-like figure produces at scrum time.

1. A very good sentence this about Deans and Henry.

2. Not excluded by me. He's a THP but he bores in on opposing hookers on the opponents feed like a LHP does.

I thought the rise of the Wallabies started in the RSA last year. At the end of 3N I was frustrated that we couldn't hold on to leads at Loftus and in Sydney but there was hope in the comebacks at Bloem and Hong Kong.

The surrender at Twickenham last year and the 1st half of Eden Park this year brought me back to cruel reality but I never lost the taste of the rise.

Now with two good consecutive victories - one in the RSA and one over the Blacks - the taste is back. Starting from our trip to the RSA last year we coulda, shoulda, been 7 from the last 8 Bledisloe and 3N matches right now instead of 5 from 8.

Like Little Red Riding Hood and Goldilocks and the Three Bears it may be a fairy tale, but it's my fairy tale.

The important things about the last two 3N wins were that:
1. The forwards fronted up and gave better than they got.
2. They had every chance to lose those matches but they didn't for a change.

If our 918 kgs. pack can keep doing those things that take advantage of the weight then that roll of 2 games can become a habit.

And they could live happily ever after.

T

tranquility

I missed the mentiond of GaGR in the article?? anyone care to highlight it for me..

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
No explicit mentions, but I think he meant the mentions about Castro's boring-in and Paddy's alleged bias which are in high circulation in these parts.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It's this:

In their next game, in Sydney, the All Blacks got out of jail, sneaking home 23-22 on the backs of Kieran Read and Richie McCaw. Then came Hong Kong. Subsequently, an irreverent website set up a clock that gleefully and wittily recorded the months of Wallabies 'domination' over the All Blacks until their next meeting. In the meantime the Reds were writing their own remarkable story in Super Rugby. The combination of results raised hopes that the balance of power had shifted.

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
Still feeling concerned about the Wallaby centres. No real attacking penetration in Brisbane and thats where the ABs tries were scored. At least they could play the experienced AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in his preferred position at 13 and hopefully when JOC (James O'Connor) comes on it'll be for Antfinger.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is defensively the best centre combination we can field.

McCabe has been making metres all season bashing it up the middle.

And Ant Finger will do a better job of supplying decent ball to our outside backs than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Very happy with how they're going, and it sets up a nice balance in the backline.

The only position where there is a question mark is that right wing with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor) and Mitchell all vying for it.

S

Scotty R

Hi All

I have two free tickets to this game in seats on the half way. If you are interested let me know. I can't post on the "Personal Advertisements" section as I am new to the forum. I have Army_Gav posting some more details for me soon on that part.

Cheers

Scott

S

Scotty R

Actually will post the details here as well.

I purchased tickets for this Sunday’s opening Australian RWC game vs Italy at North Harbour Stadium in Auckland, but unfortunately cannot attend!

In the true Aussie spirit I would just like to make sure someone (ideally a Wallabies supporter) gets to go to the game and cheer them on.

The tickets are great ones – on the half way:

Australia v Italy
North Harbour Stadium
Sun 11 Sep, 3:30p.m
2 x Adult
Section: SBLOCK26
Row: S
Seats: 11-12

Their face value is NZ$240, but as I said free to a worthy two.

I will be in NZ following the Aussies around starting next Friday 16th September until October 10th , so if you feel like getting in touch we would happily accept a few jugs of beer if you felt bad about taking the tix gratis.

If you are keen please PM me for details – ASAP!

Just as an FYI the tickets are pickup from collection points in NZ, so I need to authorise whoever is to pick them up.

Cheers

Scotty R

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I've just posted a video review for this weekend's game against Italy

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/video-what-should-the-wallabies-expect-from-italy/
One of the most obvious things to me about the scrums at the start of the clip is how hard the 8 is pushing at the scrum. compared to the Wallabies, he actually seems to be putting in more effort. Could our problem be we are to concerned about technical elements and being ready to break from the scrum when we should just be pushing as hard as we possibly can.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
How good was that try. The Scots are no mugs at scrum-time, watching that first scrum was scary.

Also noted that almost everything the Italians do revolves around Parisse. He is their main line-out jumper, he distributes from the scrum almost all the time and is the linkman used during open play. He gets his hands on the ball more then the fly half will.

Status
Not open for further replies.