• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC - Wallabies v Italy - 11th September 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Fatprop, please do not do this! My mental health is likely to become unhinged. I keep remembering that we have a 50+ test cap THP back home playing Shute who walks all over this player (and I don't mean Slipper).

Mate, he is in the squad and will be used, it is no use wittering about who isn't there.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I just heard from a little birdy the same. Same XV with Slipper, JOC (James O'Connor), TPN into the bench

H

high tower

Based on current reports
Players returning from injury and suspension, will be used as back ups in case of injury or loss of form, of the players who played the last tri nations game.
Mitchell and JOC (James O'Connor) will be lucky if both of them makes the first choice 15 during this world cup. It would take an injury and a shocking goal kicking display from Cooper and Beale, or two injuries to the outside backs.
TPN, Palu, and Slipper will probably get significant game time, after they have proved themselves with shorter stints v Italy and Ireland.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Wallaby side named, unchanged XV with JOC (James O'Connor), TPN and Slipper added to the bench in place of Horne, Fainga'a and Maafu.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Wallaby side named, unchanged XV with JOC (James O'Connor), TPN and Slipper added to the bench in place of Horne, Fainga'a and Maafu.

I like the looks of that side, but does anyone think Ashley-Cooper is the right option at wing as the tournment progresses?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I hope that the birdies are right. I always wanted the best Oz team to play against Italy and then Ireland with the last two pool games being used to freshen up the other lads as much as needed and the Ones players having the equivalent of one game in those last two.

The ostensible changes on the bench: TPN for S.Finger; Slipper for Ma'afu; JOC (James O'Connor) for Horne are all improvements, excepting in match fitness for the first two, though one hoped for Mitchell also in a 4/3 split. Mitchell may be a chance against Ireland but 5/2 is the way to go against Italy.

Italy were not overly impressive losing to Scotland in the recent trial and if they can shift one of the biggest Oz scrums in years - 918 kgs - they deserve a nod of approval. So long as Rolland keeps Castro honest at THP, and he knows him well, the Oz scrum should give a good account of themselves. In the other two front row spots Italy are spoiled for choice with two good candidates for each jersey - though I would expect Lo Cicero of Racing to get the LHP position.

Their South African locks are tough nuts, flanker Bergamasco can hold his own in most company and 8. Parisse is world class, whatever that is.

Italy's shortfall is a lack of class from 9 up, though that doesn't apply to Masi of Racing who can play anywhere in the backline, but will probably play fullback. 12. Canale of Clermont can be punishing on his day and the other Bergamasco is class too. There is a young winger whose name I forget who looked good in the trial against Scotland, too.

One big problem with the backs is that they don't play well together. The other and the biggest problem is that they don't have a decent no. 10. Craig Gower was the ordained flyhalf for this tournament but he hurt his knee before Xmas and missed the season. Then, a couple of months ago, he announced he was returning to league. This was a hammer blow to coach Mallet.

Still, this lot beat France in 6N and should have beaten Ireland. The Wallabies will have to play them as though they are the Boks or Blacks and serve it up to them in the forwards. If they try to skive off they could be embarrassed. They have to set the template for the bigger games ahead.

R

Rev Spooner

Italy always have a tendency to spoil our game plan and do it well. Unless we smash them upfront it could be a limping struggle towards a win.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) needs to stay on the wing for the tournament rather than being moved back to 13. JOC (James O'Connor) and Shmoo have the task of trying to oust AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) from the starting XV.

Given the vast difference in quality of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s one game on the wing compared to several at 13, I think it would be crazy to move him back there. Fingers has that position locked down now as far as I'm concerned. It will be interesting to see how Horne goes against USA (assuming he gets a run on spot at 13 for that game).

The one thing I'm surprised about with this team is that Sharpey hasn't come onto the bench in place of Simmons.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
We have pretty decent depth at the moment in the backs. Leaving out players like Mitchell, Horne, Barnes is a good sign.

Im still not sold on the centre pairing, but hopefully they prove me wrong. Deans has gone for balance over raw skill, which I think is important, its just a shame we have 4 very good wingers and some of them will miss out. I think horne would be in the mix if he had played a bit more rugby this year but its impossible to justify his selection in the 22 at the moment.

Also no Palu on the bench is worrying?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
interesting decision by Deans, he obviously believes McCabe and Fainga'a to be our centre pairing for the later stages of the tournament. The way I see it the bolded names are have sealed their spots in our ideal XV.
1. Sekope Kepu
2. Stephen Moore
3. Ben Alexander
4. James Horwill
5. Dan Vickerman
6. Rocky Elsom
7. David Pocock
8. Radike Samo
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. Pat McCabe
13. Anthony Fainga'a
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper
15. Kurtley Beale

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. James Slipper
18. Rob Simmons
19. Ben McCalman
20. Scott Higgenbotham
21. Luke Burgess
22. James O'Connor

That really only leaves contention for the following spots:
3/17. Alexander v Slipper.
18. Simmons v Sharpe.
19. Palu v McCalman v Higgenbotham. Bench Spot, if we go a 4/3 split only one of these boys can get it, have to be tipping Higgers right now.
14/22. Ashley-Cooper v JOC (James O'Connor) v Mitchell. One will be run on, one for the bench, the other will miss out completely.
21. TBA. Burgess will move up to 20 in a 4/3 split leaving this spot open to either AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Schmoo, Barnes, Horne or JOC (James O'Connor). You'd have to tip Barnes right now though

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'll agree for the most part but I really don't understand where the competetition between Simmons and Sharpe for 18 is.

Sharpe by several country miles for me.

Under any other coach perhaps, Simmons has been selected for the big games and Sharpe just seems to have fallen out of favour. Given the chance and I think he will prove alot of people wrong against the minnows, lets hope he is so good Robbie can't ignore him.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Means Palu is getting no bench/game time. Looks like my hopes for a Samo/Palu wrecking crew are quickly fading.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
Team, as already discussed above, now reported by the Australian

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...t-on-starting-xv/story-e6frg7mf-1226130445331

Wallabies: Kurtley Beale; Adam Ashley-Cooper, Anthony Fainga'a, Pat McCabe, Digby Ioane; Quade Cooper, Will Genia; Radike Samo, David Pocock, Rocky Elsom, James Horwill (c), Dan Vickerman, Ben Alexander, Stephen Moore, Sekope Kepu. Reserves: Tatafu Polota-Nau, James Slipper, Rob Simmons, Ben McCalman, Scott Higginbotham, Luke Burgess, James O'Connor.

I like this team, but have to be careful about team management throughout the tournament. It is essneitally our best team, and they will need to front up to play Ireland the week after. Then probably a rest for most against the USA... but for your final pool match you also should really be close to full strength to get them in gear and clicking for the knockout rounds.

Basically, our draw is not good for momentum. Ideal would be (Assuming we are strongest team in the pool)
1. 2nd best team
2. 3rd best team
3. 4th best team
4. No 1 challenger

I think there may be a gradual transition to o'connor back on the wing over the pools and Fainga'a/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) fighting it out for starting 13. TPN also if fit would be a major challenger for starting hooker. Sharpe and Vickerman for mine should be rotating depending on whether we are looking for aggro versus aerial skills.

R

Rev Spooner

I'd prefer Palu on the bench as well but maybe he needs a little more time. McCalman doesn't do it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.