• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

S14 Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
To me this looks like it could be the most hotly contested S14 title we have seen in a long time. The Crusaders have lost Carter, Sommerville, Thorne, Williams, Ralph, Tuiali'i, Hamilton and most importantly Deans. Waratahs are without Elsom and Vickerman. Canes, Stormers and Sharks once again looking good, but can they keep it going for a whole season? Not to mention the Blues, Chiefs and Brumbies. (...and dare I say Reds??)

Time to lay it on the line boys, and name your top 4 and eventual winner. For mine:

Sharks
Blues
Stormers
Waratahs

Winner= Sharks

Sharks to finish with a wet sail over the Blues and Stormers, with the Tahs scraping a finals berth ahead of the Crusaders and Canes. Think the stars may align for the Sharks, especially if they can bag a few early wins. Blues will be renewed under Pat Lam, and with Ali Williams back in the fold expect a bold showing.

But I think the sqauds are so evenly matched that the season may be decided by injuries. So many sides rely heavily on one player- Crusaders with McCaw (even more so now Carter and co have gone), Brumbies with Mortlock, Force with Giteau, Bulls with Matfield. Methinks the team that stays injury free may walk away with the title, as there is a bee's proverbial seperating the top 8 or so sides.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Dont know about the Blues, think the Hurricanes will be a huge team this year. Never can count the Saders out. Dont know. Round 1 have to huge games, Stormers vs Sharks & Tahs vs Canes. bring it on.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I reckon:

CRU
HUR
STO
SHA

In that order. I would love a bet on the HUR to grab their first win but the odds are terrible. So I'm on the STO this year Oom with my hard-earned $$. I'll join you in the Stormers Supporters Club this year.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
We've got three days to put our nuts on the line. My semi-finalists are:

Hurricanes
Crusaders
Stormers
Blues/Brumbies/Waratahs/Sharks

Final decision on Friday. ??? ??? ???

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not so much semi predictions but some others:

Pelesasa to play a full season without injury

Pocock to shine early on while Waugh goes along quietly and Pocock will be getting all the media news etc

Quade Cooper overplays the chip and chase

TPN throws accurately

High profile Wallaby breaks leg

Kimlin will be the guy everyone talks abou as Elsom's replacement

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I predict that by the end of the season there will be a 1.9m+ flanker who hasn't had a media article speculating about his switch to lock.

H

hatchie

Great avatar, Moses.

My humble predictions:

The Force backrow of Pocock, Brown & Horua will be competition standouts and when George Smith gets injured (for the first time in his career) in early June in a training mishap they'll become the starting Wallaby backrow for the first test against the Barbarians. (Has any team played the Babas in consecutive test matches before?);

David Smith, back in Hurricane's colours, will have a belting season and be up amongst the top try scorers of the year;

The Cheetahs will once again have the best named players in the Super 14;

Habana will have another dud year, and the rugby world will wake up and realise apart from his jet shoes, he is an average rugby player;

All Aussie teams apart from the Waratahs will improve their ladder positions from last year;

Greg Growden will write a positive article about the Force; and

If the injury-free Reds win their last round match against the Canes with a bonus point, they'll make the finals.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
hatchie said:
My humble predictions:
The Cheetahs will once again have the best named players in the Super 14;

Habana will have another dud year, and the rugby world will wake up and realise apart from his jet shoes, he is an average rugby player;

All Aussie teams apart from the Waratahs will improve their ladder positions from last year;

Greg Growden will write a positive article about the Force; and

If the injury-free Reds win their last round match against the Canes with a bonus point, they'll make the finals.
You call this humble? :nta:

Watch the Reds injury last after round 1 against the Brutes, that may humble you. :lmao:

P

PhucNgo

ACT Crusader said:

Beleive me, not many people were talking about him at the SFS last Thursday night. Very quiet indeed. Maybe Noodles has gone off the boil.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
PhucNgo said:
ACT Crusader said:

Beleive me, not many people were talking about him at the SFS last Thursday night. Very quiet indeed. Maybe Noodles has gone off the boil.

Its only pre-season and I wouldn't read too much into these performances.

However in saying that he was pretty effective in the Canes trial.

P

PhucNgo

I've had a think about it and considering all that's been written about the competition for places in the Lion's tour of SA, its surprising that not a lot (well maybe it has but I don't read very widely) has been written about the affect its going to have on SA teams during the S14. Could be very problematical. :nta:

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
PhucNgo said:
I've had a think about it and considering all that's been written about the competition for places in the Lion's tour of SA, its surprising that not a lot (well maybe it has but I don't read very widely) has been written about the affect its going to have on SA teams during the S14. Could be very problematical. :nta:
Wanted to post that but thought you lot had enough of my rantings. You guys must tell me if you want a per round Saffer perspective on the S14?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
PaarlBok said:
Wanted to post that but thought you lot had enough of my rantings. You guys must tell me if you want a per round Saffer perspective on the S14?

Yes, of course, PB. I read your stuff with interest but don't always have something to say in return.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
NSW to show promise early in the season and be shown up for a lack of heart when it really counts....

Chiefs to have a slow start, great middle comp run and lose when a position in the semis beckons....

Matt Dunning and Morgan Turinui to go head to head in a pie eating contest at half-time of the interstate derby....

Patrick Phibbs to own the Brumbies 8 jersey all year thanks to his BIL being on the coaching staff and connections with the Randwick mafia....

R

rugbywhisperer

Wouldn't it be easier after round 4??

Stormers
Hurricanes
Crusaders - I think will find life difficult without Carter there every game
Brumbies
Blues
Waratahs
Sharks
Force - I want them to be in the top 6 but I can't see it
Reds - to look good but struggle to go better than 9

The rest is a lottery

Agree that the best showdown will be Dunning and Turinui

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Aussie D said:
NSW to show promise early in the season and be shown up for a lack of heart when it really counts....

Is it possible that they'll do well early then lose Phil Waugh? COUld he depart before season end, I wonder? We can't win anything without him, that's clear.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Scarfman said:
PaarlBok said:

Yes, of course, PB. I read your stuff with interest but don't always have something to say in return.
OK I'll open one thread and giving some tipping tips away. :nta: BUT I want you lot to give opinoins there!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
PaarlBok said:
Scarfman said:
PaarlBok said:

OK I'll open one thread and giving some tipping tips away. :nta: BUT I want you lot to give opinoins there!
Opinions? Surely not! I was just going to provide unfounded guessing! But if I have an opinion, I'll be sure to let it loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.