• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

S18 on its way

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
It'll be a farce if they are actually considering playing in Singapore.

It's a farce then. Some games are planned for Singapore.

I reckon this is just a tactical compromise in order to secure the team - I think it was a smart move from the Japanese. I look forward to travelling there to watch a few games.

Here is the J-article from Japantoday.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/sports/view/japan-wins-place-in-2016-super-rugby

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I reckon this is just a tactical compromise in order to secure the team - I think it was a smart move from the Japanese. I look forward to travelling there to watch a few games.

Here is the J-article from Japantoday.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/sports/view/japan-wins-place-in-2016-super-rugby

I'd love to get there at some stage too.

Hopefully Reds play them early in the season at so can jump on the bullet train to Nagano the next day and go check out the snow monkeys and get a week's snowboarding in.

T

TOCC

Its officially confusing:
1(2).jpg

B26KkBjCYAAldsV.jpg

B26KkDYCcAAfvFx.jpg

4(1).jpg

T

TOCC

From twitter:

What this means for Australian SuperRugby Teams:
-6 local derby matches
-5 trans-tasman matches
-4 'SouthAfrican' matches
-2 Byes
=17 Rounds

Broadcast:
There will be 13(possibly 14) matches in the Australasian time-slot, with only 2 matches 'away' in the South African Group(away games could be in Japan or Argentina).

Finals:
Australia and New Zealand are both guaranteed a home Quarter Finals for the conference winners. In addition to the two spots for the conference winners there are 3 'wildcards' allocated to the next 3 highest placing teams from the Australasian group.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
IF expansion from 15 to 18 HAS to happen & IF those additional teams all HAVE to be part of the SA Conf then it kinda makes sense. I've yet to be convinced that either of the IF's were necessary, however.

I think it's risky and is clearly a bridge format before further expansion (multiple teams in both Asia and Argentina/the Americas), but the potential long term reward is high. Fact of the matter is that SANZAR will not be able to compete with the money in Europe without significant further growth in broadcasting and sponsorship revenue. And there's a lot more potential upside in new markets in Asia and the Americas than there is in the smaller and saturated South African and New Zealand markets and the crowded Australian football market.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I still think that there should be 3 conferences of 6 teams.

Japan in the Australian conference, and Argentina in the N.Z. one.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I still think that there should be 3 conferences of 6 teams.

Japan in the Australian conference, and Argentina in the N.Z. one.

I thought this too until I saw someone point out how bad it would be for the Argentinian fan base. Matches played in NZ would be on in the middle of the night in Argentina. It'd be like putting one of the east coast Australian sides in a South African conference.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
absolutely bizarre that they would have 15 games in the season as opposed to 16 or 14.

Considering the impact of home and away on both results on the field and off the field that just seems really really odd.

T

Train Without a Station

Well 14 just affects everybody. 15 means they can alternate.

Likely to maximise the length of the tournament and therefore broadcast product.

I imagine 16 games would have eaten into test windows, off-seasons, etc.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well 14 just affects everybody. 15 means they can alternate.

Likely to maximise the length of the tournament and therefore broadcast product.

I imagine 16 games would have eaten into test windows, off-seasons, etc.

The current season is 16 games. Pretty sure the 1 round reduction was driven by the NZRU for player welfare reasons. I doubt the ARU wanted a shorter season.

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
There's a lot to be said in support of a competition that is played predominantly in our time zone. i.e. east coast Australia, New Zealand and possibly Japan.

I, along with other rugby tragics, will tape and watch games in Super Rugby from South Africa at terrible times on Saturday night/Sunday morning, but it doesn't appeal to many.

It certainly doesn't appeal to the same viewers that have resulted in huge television deals for AFL or NRL.

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
As for Singapore and the possibility of that city hosting Super Rugby games, of two teams that have no geographical or playing base support?

Better get used to games being played in front of five thousand or less.

T

TOCC

Yep hosting games in Singapore will be a disaster.. I just hope that the Japanese team is competitive, it would be terrible for support in Japan if there side are easy-beats but also devalues the competition if they are getting flogged each week.

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
I find it hard to envisage that either team will be successful from the start.

I'm all for furthering rugby in Japan and Argentina but things might be very difficult for their Super sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.