• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

S18 on its way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It's not about what is best for super rugby it's about what is best for South Africa.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

On the face of it, I would have favoured Japan over Singapore for the types of reasons that have been put forward on this thread. But SANZAR have the details of the respective bids and have had the opportunity to interrogate the proponents about the bids. If in light of their findings they decide to go with Singapore, then we can only assume that they have been satisfied that Singapore can adequately address the concerns that have been raised. Without having the full details of the bids we are in the dark about which would be the better one. Of course, if they (SANZAR) make a decision purely on convenience grounds then it probably won't take long to fall in a heap.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
If in light of their findings they decide to go with Singapore, then we can only assume that they have been satisfied that Singapore can adequately address the concerns that have been raised. Without having the full details of the bids we are in the dark about which would be the better one.

bollocks, and i think you are over-estimating sanzar's abilities here.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
bollocks, and i think you are over-estimating sanzar's abilities here.

That is a definite possibility. And if it turns out that they simply took the expedient solution which offers less travel for the Saffas in preference to the other that just might offer a more identifiable and likely successful solution, then it would be soon found out and would be doomed to fail imo. But my point is that we don't know what is in the competing bids and I am simply being hopeful that the decision they come to properly reflects the pros and cons of each of them and that it proves to be the right decision regardless of which it is.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Another thing is that there may be a fair bit of backlash about picking the Singapore team over Japan. People would death-ride Singapore from the beginning and see it as a bit of a joke. It also may alienate the Japanese to a certain extent, and the relationship with Japanese rugby is a lot more important to SANZAR going forward than some private consortium in Singapore.

T

Tip

S.A know that without Aus & NZ, their provincial rugby is bankrupt. They are already seeing a huge loss of talent to Europe & Japan.

They know that, in all likeliness, the Japanese bid will succeed. Upon this success, Australia & NZ would see the light and ditch S.A. for a more suitable, economically viable and player friendly Super Rugby involving Japan.

Which is why they will bully both NZ into voting for Singapore.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think people are greatly underestimating the fact that the NZRU and ARU want to keep playing in a competition with South Africa.

The ARU is also well aware of the fact that they've got their way in pretty much every previous negotiation (the one thing John O'Neill was good at) and are more content to go with the flow this time around.

As long as South Africa is one of the best rugby nations in the world and play a strong physical style, I can't see the NZRU wanting to stop playing them in the biggest provincial competition because they see it as essential to remaining the dominant rugby nation.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think people are greatly underestimating the fact that the NZRU and ARU want to keep playing in a competition with South Africa.

The ARU is also well aware of the fact that they've got their way in pretty much every previous negotiation (the one thing John O'Neill was good at) and are more content to go with the flow this time around.

As long as South Africa is one of the best rugby nations in the world and play a strong physical style, I can't see the NZRU wanting to stop playing them in the biggest provincial competition because they see it as essential to remaining the dominant rugby nation.

I believe that is the position of the NZRU. But I'm pretty sure I read Pulver say that they had initially gone in with a preference for an Australian and NZ (perhaps eventually Asia-Pacific) conference that didn't play against South African teams until an expanded finals series. But NZ and SA didn't want it.

It's a shame because I think that structure would be more appealing to FTA channels in Australia. You could also have a plate competition between the teams that don't make the main finals so that all teams play some teams in the other conference.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Maybe the Singapore Government will force the population to attend matches. That's about the only chance I can see that Soup would draw more than the NRC.

Woodenspoon

Herbert Moran (7)
Sanzar did recently a survey about the expansion of the tournment, and it showed just a few Super Rugby fans are looking forward to it.
I couldn't agree more, there's no real reason to expand this competition, but to satisfy Saffa's political need to have six franchises and for each national rugby union to make as much money as possible.
But it can be a mess potentially. Too much travel, too many games and the level of the game will be the same (or worse) at best.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The buggers didn't ask me, Ws. I'm totally with you, this proposed expansion has all the hallmarks of a dog's breakfast. On one level I feel for the poor bastards in Safferland, but, surely, someone's got the goolies to tell the government to get their interfering fingers out of rugby. I'll bet they don't interfere in soccer, FIFA'd tell 'em where to go quicksmart.

Top level rugby in Singapore? Who's going to watch it? Who's going to play for the home team?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Oz is still beating the Singapore drum. Today's spin is that the franchise will help "ward off the NRL's push into the Pacific".

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Ward off the push into the Pacific by having a team confined to pay TV playing several thousand kms from its supporters? How about just having more AB and Wallaby tours to the islands?!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Ward off the push into the Pacific by having a team confined to pay TV playing several thousand kms from its supporters? How about just having more AB and Wallaby tours to the islands?!

I think the point is that a number of PI players could earn a decent wage playing rugby, fairly locally, and not get poached by NH or New Zealand.

What, exactly, would more international tours achieve in real (i.e. monetary) terms?

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I do actually like the idea of an Asia-Pacific Dragons team. The big problem is just whether they can find a base of support in Singapore. Especially if they're not even called Singapore!

If they do get in I hope they will play the occasional game in the islands. Perhaps when they have a home game against an Australian or New Zealand team.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I do actually like the idea of an Asia-Pacific Dragons team. The big problem is just whether they can find a base of support in Singapore. Especially if they're not even called Singapore!

Financial support, maybe. Bums on seats? Never.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Financial support, maybe. Bums on seats? Never.

And I doubt the financial support would last long if they don't get bums on seats.

The Asia-Pacific Dragons are going to play the Maori All Blacks in Singapore this November. I guess that will show whether they have any potential for drawing a crowd. It will be embarrassing if a couple of weeks before they are named as team number 18 and then draw a crowd of 10k expats.

Whatever they get for a one off Maori All Blacks game I'd say halve that and you might be somewhere near the average attendance for the Dragons in Super Rugby. So I'll become a believer if they get over 35k.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
And I doubt the financial support would last long if they don't get bums on seats.

I would not be making sweeping statements either way. Singapore is a place that operates under very different rules. I doubt that this bid would be going ahead without tacit, or actual, Government involvement.

A lot of money has been spent building a new, state-of-the-art National Stadium. My guess is that the powers that be want to get some top-line sport played there, by hook, or by cheque-book.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Pretty sure super rugby is on FTA in the pacific. It certainly is in Fiji. Remember watching the brumbies chiefs final there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.