• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

S18 on its way

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
What, exactly, would more international tours achieve in real (i.e. monetary) terms?
No financial gain immediately and it would obviously cost the ARU and NZRU, but those visits generate enormous interest and support amongst the locals. Often professional players comment they chose the rugby pathway because they met a player, saw a test match with their family etc.
If we're serious about staving off RL in the Pacific we need to facilitate more of this.

Instead RL players such as SBW and Hayne are on the front pages of the local PI papers when they visit the Islands to promote RL.

I spend a fair bit of time in Fiji and the younger generation love RL, primarily because of the amount of exposure it gets there on the TV.

The AB tour of Samoa is very timely. It shouldn't be a one off, but occur every 4 years so it still a big occasion.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
If the Pacific Dragons set up and support serious feeder academies in Tonga, Fiji and Samoa then I will warm to the proposal.

Perhaps these feeder clubs could feature in the NRC or ITM Cup?

My one concern, apart from the fact that essentially zero Singaporean locals will support the team, is the scheduling of the games.

Playing at 7:30pm Singapore time is 11:30pm Island time. They'll play a fair bit In SA if they're in that conference - 7:30pm in Johannesburg is 5:30am in the Islands. Not great for the fans back 'home'.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
They might be able to attract expats from the region for certain games. For example, when I was living in Hong Kong, I would have been interested in an occasional long weekend in Singapore, for a Tahs or Reds game.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Absolutely, but the key phrase is "occasional long weekend". How many would be prepared to do that regularly for the assumed 8 "home" games across the 16 game season? Or are there enough "occasional long weekenders" interested that a smaller number of that total could be considered Regulars?

How many expats would travel to see the Singapore Franchise play the Wooden Spooners?

There are only so many business meetings that can be arranged to coincide with footy.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Absolutely, Hugh. But other than national pride (i.e. the attraction of a major international sporting competition to the new stadium) I struggle to find any tangible benefits.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
So it seems SANZAR have finally pulled their collective heads from their combined rectum and discovered Singapore is a woeful deal. Though I do wonder how much the change has occurred because they are worrying about having to prop up a financial White Elephant more than because in all metrics Japan deserves it.

T

TOCC

Yep, i held serious doubts over the alleged funding that the Singapore Government was going to provide, give the new Super Rugby franchise to a country which actually has an interest in Rugby Union, in a country which might be able to put together a credible team of locally produced players... Not this quick dash for cash proposal from Singapore.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I wonder if players like Shota Horie will want to play in Japan now that they can still play S15 (18). Also if Aussies currently over there be considered for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I wonder if players like Shota Horie will want to play in Japan now that they can still play S15 (18). Also if Aussies currently over there be considered for it.

I'd guess almost certainly. The JRFU will want the best Japanese players in their team. That will help them at test level as the combinations will be strong.

You'd have to think Japan will improve significantly with super rugby involvement. No doubt as soon as they're competitive they'll also be added to the Rugby Championship (I know they're technically ranked above Argentina at the moment, but I don't think they're at the same level yet).

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Given that a Japanese team looks likely to be the 18th side, I wonder if we might see a slight change to the make up of proposed conferences. If I were SANZAR, I'd consider moving the Western Force to the South African Conference and bringing the Japanese team into the OZ/NZ conference. It would address the travel concerns.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I'd consider moving the Western Force to the South African Conference.

3fskDSw.png

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Given that a Japanese team looks likely to be the 18th side, I wonder if we might see a slight change to the make up of proposed conferences. If I were SANZAR, I'd consider moving the Western Force to the South African Conference and bringing the Japanese team into the OZ/NZ conference. It would address the travel concerns.

Id consider setting off a targeted nuclear explosion that would set Qld adrift from the rest of Australia so you can go play in the PNG comp.

Kings into SA Conference.
Japan into Aus Confrerence
Arg into NZ conference.

You know it makes sense.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Id consider setting off a targeted nuclear explosion that would set Qld adrift from the rest of Australia so you can go play in the PNG comp.

Kings into SA Conference.
Japan into Aus Confrerence
Arg into NZ conference.

You know it makes sense.
Where does the Argentinian team go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Possibly not quite:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/10640077/Japan-bid-no-longer-shoo-in-for-Super-Rugby

Hopefully they just crossed their i's & dotted their t's rather than it being a full-on clusterfuck. Also the fact NZ Maori won't risk playing at Singapore's flash new stadium has gotta come into it? If it's unplayable in October I don't see it being much better come February.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Status
Not open for further replies.