• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Say It Ain't So!!! McCaw may be GONE...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No, it is the point. They can't really be punished for something they didn't actually get to do. If someone had spotted Tuilagi (or both of them) holding an illegal mouthguard while they were waiting in the tunnel about to run onto the pitch, I doubt they'd have copped any punishment either.

Heard of attempted murder? You dont need to actually succeed in order to be guilty of a crime. I would have thought that this being just a sport the attempt to flout a rule is all the more morally delinquent.
If the rules permit unlimited recourse to canon fodder in order to simulate game situations and better acclimatize potential replacements then the rules should be changed because it gives the home side another advantage and it is pretty easy to stop it: just another fine example of the IRBs incompetence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If the rules permit unlimited recourse to canon fodder in order to simulate game situations and better acclimatize potential replacements then the rules should be changed because it gives the home side another advantage and it is pretty easy to stop it: just another fine example of the IRBs incompetence.

I really don't think it is the massive issue that you are making it out to be.

I am sure any teams that wish to get players involved to oppose in training would be able to. It just happens that the home side is going to have players from their own country doing it.

If there wasn't an injury cloud over Richie McCaw and they had used Matt Todd at training, I don't think many people would have batted an eyelid about it.

V

vikingbrad

Like the last paragraph from that NZ Herald article

"Don't read too much into it,'' Hansen implored. "He's just at training. The poor bugger is just at training. That's it. We have plenty of people we can turn into David Pocock. Just put a green bib on them as say you're David Pocock.

I'm sure they'd love to throw a bib on someone and make them David Pocock for Sunday.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
The bit I don't get is how the IRB get all arsey about an ex-squad member through injury having to fuck off out of the country ASAP,
while just about anyone can turn up to training and for all intents and purposes be part of the squad?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I'm pretty sure that any other team at the RWC can do something like this if they want more players for opposed training runs.

Souths Magpies train with the AB's

In the lead up to the recent Tri-Nations Final, four of the Index Souths Magpies were given the unique opportunity to train with the All Blacks and provide the AB's with vital opposition.

Lock Marius Botha, and loose forwards, Ged O'Hare, Stu Williamson and Matt Swann answered the call from the All Black's management and spent three sessions with the team during their preparation at Churchie.

All the players agreed that the opportunity to train in this environment was a once in a lifetime event and they took some vital training tips from the experience.

The All Black players welcomed the guys and they enjoyed meeting grassroots players from the Queensland Premier competition.

Souths RUFC would like to thank the All Blacks' management for providing this opportunity to our players

J

Jay

for all intents and purposes be part of the squad

This is a pretty big assumption, considering the total known extent of Todd's involvement is a couple of training sessions over a month long period.

J

Jay

If there wasn't an injury cloud over Richie McCaw and they had used Matt Todd at training, I don't think many people would have batted an eyelid about it.

In fact, no one did earlier in the tournament when it happened previously.

But that's cause during the pool stages there were other stories to write about....

B

barrenjoey

If Carter and McCaw are out of the RWC it's a damn same for both these blokes , who I might add have been great ambassadors for our code and have provided us with some scintillating rugby over the years and probably deserve to hold Bill aloft before they retire. They both seem like good blokes ,like most people who are good at what they do , they shut up and just let their play do the talking. Having said that, if they don't make it onto the pitch and the AB's get knocked out ,,bad luck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hope they get well soon and enjoy the rest of their careers. that's sport ,all ways was, all ways will be .
Go the Wallabies

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
that's the tri nations though. Nothing like the RWC.

Why?

If you want more guys to run against for an opposed training, how is it any different?

Or should the host nation have to fly players in from another country to make it look fair?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Why?

If you want more guys to run against for an opposed training, how is it any different?

Or should the host nation have to fly players in from another country to make it look fair?

How is the Tri-Nations different to the Tri-Nations? You seriously want me to answer that?

I wonder if the Wallabies wanted to have Matt Todd for opposed training, whether he would be available?

J

Jay

How is the Tri-Nations different to the Tri-Nations? You seriously want me to answer that?

No, I can answer that. NZ don't choke in the TN.

I wonder if the Wallabies wanted to have Matt Todd for opposed training, whether he would be available?

If he was, people would whinge about NZer's infiltrating the Wallabies to learn their tactics....oh, wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.