• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Further to point 4. Mind you, no one quibbles that rugby & cricket ovals cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to water, maintain, mow, resurface and these costs are met exclusively by the school. Whilst vital to rugby & cricket, they're not as a sexy asset as when some parent/s/old boys buy a boat, tinny, coxboxes or speed coaches etc.

The Incredible Plan

Herbert Moran (7)
The Grammar Headmaster suggests Scots find an appropriate competition to participate in. I hope they do and that New follow them into it as well.
If that were to happen, with no disrespect, I think some of the others would have a dilemma... I imagine one or two would not want to play in a second best Rugby competition.

Out of interest, what would be the code of conduct and rules for the new "best Rugby competition" ie the one that TSC go and participate in and New hypothetically follow? Or is it open slather? This is not aimed at your post GPS Observer but I'm interested in where "the line" should and would be drawn in a new competion?

The Incredible Plan

Herbert Moran (7)
Further to point 4. Mind you, no one quibbles that rugby & cricket ovals cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to water, maintain, mow, resurface and these costs are met exclusively by the school. Whilst vital to rugby & cricket, they're not as a sexy asset as when some parent/s/old boys buy a boat, tinny, coxboxes or speed coaches etc.

And nowhere near as sexy as a hyperbaric chamber... ;-)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Look to Rugby. This year they played a year 9 boy in the First XV overlooking roughly 540 boys to throw in a 14/15 year old against 17/18 year olds. Lucky it was third grade.
This is, at best, in the wrong thread.
Why bag the kid, even indirectly?
540 boys? There wouldn't be 540 playing rugby at grammar. Your condescending and dismissive attitude to their rugby program only perpetuates an issue and no doubt heightens the perception in non rugby believers that rugby in the GPS is just a contest to see which school produces the old boys with the biggest dicks, because we all know that GPS rugby is sure proof of both manliness and general worthiness.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Sure did - 2nd hand from RA. Under $10k I was told - $8k rings a bell. No to all other questions.
Have you seen the 14/15 year old play? Perhaps you should before using that as a negative yard stick.

The stroke repeated Yr10, refer to HOTR Yr10 VIIIs for 2007 & 2008
http://www.rowingnsw.asn.au/regattas/07-08/
Was in the 6 seat first time, in a crew that came 2nd in a super fast time of 6.12. Following year he was in the stroke seat of a crew that won, also in a super fast time of 6.12. This individual was also the age swimming champion. Quiet an athlete!
Handy person to have in the crew- imagine if you took out his capabilites (erg c6.10?) and replaced it with the capabilities of the 9th rower (erg c6.30?). Probably makes 3-4 seconds difference, HOTR wining margin 1.9 seconds.
My point being that if he hadn't repeated they may not have won. Someone close to me rowed with 4 other members of the crew for last two seasons and doesn't rate them highly while the individual who repeated was in the 5 seat of the Harvard Freshmen Eight! Odd that someone bright enough to go to Harvard needed to repeat? ;)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The stroke repeated Yr10, refer to HOTR Yr10 VIIIs for 2007 & 2008
http://www.rowingnsw.asn.au/regattas/07-08/
Was in the 6 seat first time, in a crew that came 2nd in a super fast time of 6.12. Following year he was in the stroke seat of a crew that won, also in a super fast time of 6.12. This individual was also the age swimming champion. Quiet an athlete!
Handy person to have in the crew- imagine if you took out his capabilites (erg c6.10?) and replaced it with the capabilities of the 9th rower (erg c6.30?). Probably makes 3-4 seconds difference, HOTR wining margin 1.9 seconds.
My point being that if he hadn't repeated they may not have won. Someone close to me rowed with 4 other members of the crew for last two seasons and doesn't rate them highly while the individual who repeated was in the 5 seat of the Harvard Freshmen Eight! Odd that someone bright enough to go to Harvard needed to repeat? ;)
Fair cop.
They had all these shithouse rowers who did identical times in 2 years in yr 10 viii is.
He should have won it for them in 2009 on the basis of your thinking.
Tell us which crew he rowed in 2009?
By the way, I rowed with a Scots old boy from an viii that finished nowhere at all. He was the best oarsman I've seen and his peers, who are way ahead of me, agree.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Fair cop.
They had all these shithouse rowers who did identical times in 2 years in yr 10 viii is.
He should have won it for them in 2009 on the basis of your thinking.
Tell us which crew he rowed in 2009?
By the way, I rowed with a Scots old boy from an viii that finished nowhere at all. He was the best oarsman I've seen and his peers, who are way ahead of me, agree.

My bad - Yr10 2008 & 2009 - anyway a couple of years ago. Sorry

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
I think you will find that he was bright enough to go to Harvard because he was the 5 seat in their Freshman eight!

Can tell from personal experience that Harvard still has a minimum entry requirement. That said, the rowers are probably at the wrong end of the Harvard bell curve for intelligence.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Haven't we already discussed this lad a page of two back?

Talk about shampoo, rinse and repeat.

He sounds like a very genuine nice guy. I hope he does well at Harvard and comes back to Australia to make a difference.

Ruggedly handsome as well (I am told by a reliable source) ;)

Apologies for sidetrack - seems to be a slow news day.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^ Don't get too wrapped up in how good Harvard is.

Didn't one of the Fairfax boys come back from Harvard full of flow charts, processes and pretty graphs to go along with his Harvard Business School MBA?

Guess he may have been on the wrong side of the bell curve as well.

Don't think he was a rower.

And, of course, there is the young Warwick Fairfax takeover, an episode that still burns among the survivors who remain on the editorial floor. When young Warwick, spurred on by his mother Lady Mary, launched his takeover in 1987, he set a course for a $1bn writedown in the company and humiliation for all involved. -

See more at: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/med...y-e6frg996-1226664128210#sthash.PN1WlpxN.dpuf

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No, Aspen is more a HYPOXIC chamber, being at altitude.
The Marianas Trench is HYPERBARIC.
I know I'm being pedantic, but these things are not interchangeable.

We didnt have either at my school - how am I expected to remember which is which?
I thought the idea was to train at altitude - I'm going to have to start again with the refurbishment of the shed.
I've been sucking when what i needed was blowing.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
really?..swimming ,water polo should i keep going.or should we just stay on Scots
I've raised water polo before in terms of Newington and Aloysius. The response from GPS supporters was that water polo was a minority sport and no-one really cared and it wasn't a real GPS competition it was a combined GPS/CAS competition. Without any personal knowledge of New water polo players I didn't comment further. The destination of choice of northern beaches water polo players seems to be Alos - 5 state level players have left Augustines to go to Alos in the past 4 years. If you have information about water polo at NC, let us know - if it's in breach of the code of practice, it should be noted as others are.

I did go on to the AAGPS website and the water polo results for the last 2 years are:

2012 1sts NC 1st, Alos 2nd, 2nds Cranbrook 1st, NC 2nd
2013 1sts NC 1st, Alos 2nd, 2nds NC 1st, TSC 2nd

I've never heard swimming raised before in terms of any school, so I went to the AAGPS website and looked at this year's results

Junior (12s-14s) NC 1st, TKS 2nd
Inter (15-16s) SIC 1st, SHS 2nd
Open (17+) SIC 1st, NC 2nd

Hard to see a NC swimming scholarship programme there (or from any school)

I also had a look at cricket results for last year
1sts Shore 1st, TSC 2nd
2nds SJC 1st, TKS 2nd

Soccer results
2013 1sts SIC, 2nds NC
2012 1sts SJC, 2nds SJC
2011 1sts TSC, 2nds NC

The most notable thing for me there was that Joeys won 1sts and 2nds soccer and not rugby in 2012.

Rowing too difficult to itemise as there's so many different divisions, but a look at the rowing results showed NC midfield at best.

A look at the NC website indicates that only 1% of their student body comes from the Northern Beaches, so if they are recruiting, they aren't doing much around here. (Although 4 or 5 of the 2013 1st XV came from here to NC at Year 9 or after and I've raised that critically on a number of occasions.)