• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Newington will not be "outed". Their team stacking in rugby was in the venerable tradition of trying to secure silver ware in a significant anniversary year, whereas, TCS were hell bent on world domination!

That, and the action was taken via the backdoor so to speak - the basketball was dispensable, the point has been proven, and all participants are now on notice without damaging the prestige that is GPS Rugby!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Newington will not be "outed". Their team stacking in rugby was in the venerable tradition of trying to secure silver ware in a significant anniversary year, whereas, TCS were hell bent on world domination!

That, and the action was taken via the backdoor so to speak - the basketball was dispensable, the point has been proven, and all participants are now on notice without damaging the prestige that is GPS Rugby!

Hmmmmm.
NC are still doing it and 151 years isn't that significant.
Shore are 125 this year and they're not doing it.
Finally, everyone is ignoring the fact that Grammar has not declared its position and denies that any rapprochement has been reached with which it is satisfied.
And before one of the apologist smart arses says "its only grammar" "they don't win anything" or "who cares" - it isn't the AAGPS unless its all the schools. And these schools are trying to cash in on winning GPS premierships.
It suits my position if the GPS goes up in a puff of smoke - but that's another issue.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Will Pulver be demanding GPS pay big $ to the ARU like all the other junior teams?

Schools aren't clubs, so the short answer is 'no'.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
And before one of the apologist smart arses says "its only grammar" "they don't win anything

SGS currently sitting 2nd in 1st XI cricket:)

Equal with Scots in Basketball, but ahead on for and against:):)

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Do any changes have to be unanimous?

If changes to the code of practice are unanimous then 'The Shed' at St Josephs College has served it's last drink.

When visiting another school, the host school's premises and rules - in matters of parking, tidiness, etc - should be respected. Adults are asked to note that, with the exception of family picnics in some circumstances, alcohol should not be consumed at GPS matches.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Nope,you'll have to type slower.
I'm not getting it,unless you are suggesting there are a number of Schools that are still holding the line?
1 is and 1 fully supports that 1 but is playing to its demographic.
None of them want to be the one who brought it to its knees.
If one goes it's no longer the AAGPS. It's a game of chicken but the 1 holding the line looks at its demographic and the fact that, uncommonly, it's old boys have zero influence and may think they need us more than we need them.

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
1 is and 1 fully supports that 1 but is playing to its demographic.
None of them want to be the one who brought it to its knees.
If one goes it's no longer the AAGPS. It's a game of chicken but the 1 holding the line looks at its demographic and the fact that, uncommonly, it's old boys have zero influence and may think they need us more than we need them.

The one that holds out has other scars to heal, other issues on the table. Perhaps there needs to be a non poaching of coaches policy to get them across the line.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
it's old boys have zero influence

Why does the OBU at Grammar have such little influence at the school, particular when compared with the others?

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
it's old boys have zero influence

Why does the OBU at Grammar have such little influence at the school, particular when compared with the others?

Seriously? Have you seen their board of trustees? Their special charter? No. I think the problem is SG still miffed at approaches to their coaching staff.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yes, I've seen their board of trustees on their website. Around half seem to be ex-officio appointments and I'd be surprised for example if the Attorney General or the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly took much interest in the day to day running of the school or who was coaching their sporting teams.

There are also 5 elected trustees plus the Headmaster. None of which explains why the OBs have such little influence

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I would have thought the question should be, why do OB's have any influence at any School?

I agree that is a legitimate question, but the fact is at all the other private GPS schools, the OBs seem to have a significant influence, whereas the apparently they don't at Grammar.

I'm simply curious as to why this is so.