• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Because many old boys and posters wrongly assume their sons would not get in or think the school is too academic.
So they cease to have an interest in what is happening at the school.
There are many sons of old boys but they tend to be father's who weren't too interested in sport.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
That makes sense, particularly as two Grammar old boys that I know have booked their sons into another GPS school for the reasons that you suggest.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Did SGS play $cots today in the 1st fixture? Could someone please confirm if the game proceeded as planned.

Not according to the SGS website:
Screen Shot 2014-02-15 at 6.22.08 pm.png

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
another irrefutable clue!

But meanwhile on the other side of town their opponents play two teams from Harlem. It's hard to know who is right.

But the biggest clue lies hidden in the Spirit of Cupertino... a secret pact kept in the bottom draw of Apple and Google's HR departments.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Actually when both 1st and 2nd are playing at 12noon at the same venue, we might conclude that they are playing each other.

I think this means that you and I agree on something:)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
But meanwhile on the other side of town their opponents play two teams from Harlem

One set of globetrotters playing another?:)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Does anyone know if Kings will be playing Scots in 1st and 2nd basketball this week? The usually talkative Dr Hawkes has been remarkably silent.

My money is they will.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
If changes to the code of practice are unanimous then 'The Shed' at St Josephs College has served it's last drink.

When visiting another school, the host school's premises and rules - in matters of parking, tidiness, etc - should be respected. Adults are asked to note that, with the exception of family picnics in some circumstances, alcohol should not be consumed at GPS matches.
But you had best reread as it says AT GPS matches. They, being the shed dwellers, will say that this is AFTER the match. School had finished for the day

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
But you had best reread as it says AT GPS matches. They, being the shed dwellers, will say that this is AFTER the match. School had finished for the day

Agree - poorly drafted. I would hazard what they meant to say was: "Consumption of alcohol on GPS grounds is forbidden unless by adults within the confines of an official School function."
PS Those Old Boy reunions at GPS games are going to be a different affair going forward (NB statement of fact rather than voicing any concern over its potential loss)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Those Old Boy reunions at GPS games are going to be a different affair going forward.

At the risk of sounding like a wowser, I think that the boozy OB reunions have no place at school sport. By all means meet at the match and then adjourn to the nearest pub and drink and reminisce to their hearts content.

I think that parents who have helped all day having a quiet beer out of sight after the students have gone is perhaps a little different.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Those Old Boy reunions at GPS games are going to be a different affair going forward.

At the risk of sounding like a wowser, I think that the boozy OB reunions have no place at school sport. By all means meet at the match and then adjourn to the nearest pub and drink and reminisce to their hearts content.

I think that parents who have helped all day having a quiet beer out of sight after the students have gone is perhaps a little different.

I haven't seen anyone pissed at GPS match since XXXXX XXXXXX, future wallaby, came to Weigall when XXX had a bye.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
This is all becoming more than a little confusing. First Shore, one of the schools most critical of sports scholarships/bursaries/inducements change tack and play (apparently under OB and parental pressure), then Joeys who also committed in writing not to play change tack and play (apparently after receiving some sort of undertakings from Dr Lambert), Grammar and now Kings hold the line and don't play.

Are we to assume that the undertakings given to Joeys were bilateral and no-one else was in on the deal?

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
I hear that Scots 1sts basketball will be doing some community service work this Saturday with the Salvos in lieu of playing. They deserve some credit for this, well done.

Agree. At the risk of being flippant I would suggest Dr Lambert join them (and possible the Kings boys).