• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
The general theme of this blog seems to be sports scholarships are evil

Well at some point I reckon it gets to the stage that if you can't beat them join them

I see that trinity 13as went thru undefeated ... And one of their best ( Bateman) was at waverley prep last year ... Athletic champion etc

The diminutive star in this years scots 1st xv , their number 7, Smith, he was in waverley prep

That kid savala in the scots 15a ... Awesome centre ... Waverley prep

Last years Aussie schoolboy 10, O'shea , he was in waverley prep

Newingtons serhons they were waverley prep

I could go on ... And I know not all have left due to scholarships

However, The point is waverley college doesn't offer sports scholarships ... And I reckon they should. .... Maybe 1 or 2 ... Even if it's the old boys that bankroll it

Call it the brother murphy scholarship ... Love that bloke

Then again some will argue that there are better ways to reward those that remain loyal ...

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)

Well at some point I reckon it gets to the stage that if you can't beat them join them

I see that trinity 13as went thru undefeated . And one of their best ( Bateman) was at waverley prep last year . Athletic champion etc

The diminutive star in this years scots 1st xv , their number 7, Smith, he was in waverley prep

That kid savala in the scots 15a . Awesome centre . Waverley prep

I could go on . And I know not all have left due to scholarships

However, The point is waverley college doesn't offer sports scholarships . And I reckon they should. .. Maybe 1 or 2 . Even if it's the old boys that bankroll it

Call it the brother murphy scholarship . Love that bloke

Then again some will argue that there are better ways to reward those that remain loyal .
SDW, I am not sure about Wavely's constitution but it is not in the AAGPS. So it should be free to offer scholarships if it so wishes.

The problem is with schools in the GPS that are bound by rules forbidding sporting scholarships but still offer them anyway and buy themselves a premiership.

So it is probably time to tear up the school associations. let those that want to do scholarships operate in their own little dream world.

What a fine comp the rest of the schools would have.

harry247

Allen Oxlade (6)

I see that trinity 13as went thru undefeated . And one of their best ( Bateman) was at waverley prep last year . Athletic champion etc

However, The point is waverley college doesn't offer sports scholarships . And I reckon they should. .. Maybe 1 or 2 . Even if it's the old boys that bankroll it

Then again some will argue that there are better ways to reward those that remain loyal .

I think Waverley do offer some sporting scholarships?

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)

Oh please! Catholic schools have "scholarships", but they are called bursaries because they don't depend on any scholarly activity but are awarded on the basis of need. They are of course confidential, and worth a fraction of the fees at any GPS school.

My real issue, however, is with your highlighting of Waverley and the exodus of students, implying that some kind of poaching takes place? This is not true. Of course it goes on in GPS schools, I've posted about it before but to me the defining characteristic of an unsound scholarship is one where the school approaches a family cold and offers a place at school where the family previously had expressed no interest in their son attending.

On the other hand, I know for certain that many parents who are satisfied with the standard of behaviour and academia in the Waverley junior school already have a plan in place to move their son at Year 9 level because they know they will not be satisfied with the standard in senior school. There are many reasons parents do it (travel or boarding becomes feasible when the boy is older; fees manageable for 3-4 years but not six; infamous behaviour problems at Waverley; range of subjects offered etc) but the plan from the outset is to move on halfway through to somewhere.......it might be said.....better.

Ask a Waverley parent why they moved their son to a GPS or other independent school and you will hear those reasons again and again, while also reaffirming that they had a long-standing booking for Year 9 at their real school of choice. A loyalty scheme is pointless when the boy has known since his orientation day in Year 5 at Waverley that he is off to Trinity/Kings/Joeys/Scots in Year 9 or 10.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Oh please! Catholic schools have "scholarships", but they are called bursaries because they don't depend on any scholarly activity but are awarded on the basis of need. They are of course confidential, and worth a fraction of the fees at any GPS school.

My real issue, however, is with your highlighting of Waverley and the exodus of students, implying that some kind of poaching takes place? This is not true. Of course it goes on in GPS schools, I've posted about it before but to me the defining characteristic of an unsound scholarship is one where the school approaches a family cold and offers a place at school where the family previously had expressed no interest in their son attending.

On the other hand, I know for certain that many parents who are satisfied with the standard of behaviour and academia in the Waverley junior school already have a plan in place to move their son at Year 9 level because they know they will not be satisfied with the standard in senior school. There are many reasons parents do it (travel or boarding becomes feasible when the boy is older; fees manageable for 3-4 years but not six; infamous behaviour problems at Waverley; range of subjects offered etc) but the plan from the outset is to move on halfway through to somewhere...it might be said...better.

Ask a Waverley parent why they moved their son to a GPS or other independent school and you will hear those reasons again and again, while also reaffirming that they had a long-standing booking for Year 9 at their real school of choice. A loyalty scheme is pointless when the boy has known since his orientation day in Year 5 at Waverley that he is off to Trinity/Kings/Joeys/Scots in Year 9 or 10.
Codswallop

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

On the other hand, I know for certain that many parents who are satisfied with the standard of behaviour and academia in the Waverley junior school already have a plan in place to move their son at Year 9 level because they know they will not be satisfied with the standard in senior school. There are many reasons parents do it (travel or boarding becomes feasible when the boy is older; fees manageable for 3-4 years but not six; infamous behaviour problems at Waverley; range of subjects offered etc) but the plan from the outset is to move on halfway through to somewhere...it might be said...better.

A difficulty with your analysis is that the kids referred to did not transfer in Yr 9.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I have heard of those confidential bursaries ... And I do concede some plan to drop their sons into joeys around year 9

But I guess all I am saying is whether waverley might need what cranbrook has, the Martin Pitt scholarship , Matt street scholarship

Altgh in this case Scholarships that would only be open to existing students

With the aim being to retain strong sportsman ... And maintain proud sporting traditions

Re there not being poaching ... Beg to differ , altgh hard to prove

I certainly have heard stories about what st augustines have done ... Maybe I need to get out my dictionary on poaching

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
A difficulty with your analysis is that the kids referred to did not transfer in Yr 9.

Ok so three or four did not transfer in Year 9. No doubt some left Waverley at the end of Year 6, some in later years. I had assumed that the gentlemen's agreement not to name children (operates in the GPS rowing thread) also applies here, therefore I will not identify the at least twenty families I am aware of who did exactly as I described, just in the last few years. The same principle applies - Waverley is a stopover school for some boys.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
I have heard of those confidential bursaries . And I do concede some plan to drop their sons into joeys around year 9

But I guess all I am saying is whether waverley might need what cranbrook has, the Martin Pitt scholarship , Matt street scholarship

Altgh in this case Scholarships that would only be open to existing students

With the aim being to retain strong sportsman . And maintain proud sporting traditions

Re there not being poaching . Beg to differ , altgh hard to prove

I certainly have heard stories about what st augustines have done . Maybe I need to get out my dictionary on poaching

bursaries are confidential not because they are given out under any suspicious circumstances but because they are given to students in need and they have a right to privacy. I agree that there IS poaching, but all schools need to do is show the GPS the original application from the parents. That can prove that the first approach came from the family to the school, not the other way around.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
I don't know Wtf your name is about. But I don't want to know what happens behind the shed. Scary things I think.

Mmmm......maybe cods get walloped? or maybe opinions are expressed, then challenged and argued about, which is great and which is what I see happening all over GAGR forums on a variety of topics. One-word token insults don't really advance the argument, sadly. Please choose any or all of my points and take issue with them for real.

BeastieBoy

Herbert Moran (7)
Behindtheshed. All those boys mentioned from Waverley were approached to go to those schools on scholarship. Why do they move? well no school fees. I think Waverley's are 12k+ pa, plus the GPS pathway into representative Rugby teams. Plus the perceived connections in business in later life.There was also a leg up into Sydney University up at least until early this year.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Behindtheshed. All those boys mentioned from Waverley were approached to go to those schools on scholarship. Why do they move? well no school fees. I think Waverley's are 12k+ pa, plus the GPS pathway into representative Rugby teams. Plus the perceived connections in business in later life.There was also a leg up into Sydney University up at least until early this year.

Thank you! As I said, I'm not generally in favour of naming boys as they are legally children and we can't just defame them; if you know for certain that they were approached cold, without any intention to go to the destination school, then I guess they are part of one trend (poaching) and the other fee-paying boys are part of another (Waverley exodus)

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Behindtheshed, I could understand a boy moving from 1 catholic school to another. But to start at a Catholic school and more to a Methodist one, really??

I don't buy that one. The kid was always planning to go there. No, I think incentives were involved.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Behindtheshed, I could understand a boy moving from 1 catholic school to another. But to start at a Catholic school and more to a Methodist one, really??

I don't buy that one. The kid was always planning to go there. No, I think incentives were involved.

Thanks NIS, that's a fair question and one I have often posed, quietly - to myself of course - when I have seen parents send their child to the local Catholic primary and then on to a secondary school of a completely different flavour. These days it seems religion is last on the list of priorities for most parents with whom I've had this conversation. Reasons for choice of school, ESPECIALLY for boys, run the gamut from brand-name status through sporting opportunities, recent HSC results (eek!) convenience of travel and Dad's old-boy status right down to the dumbest of all "he wanted to be with his friends".

Occasionally you do hear academics cited as a genuine reason for choice, beyond public exam results. It's rare that any parent expresses an interest in the ethos of the school, let alone the specific type of religion practised there.

I find it as mystifying as you do, but I've watched too many plan for it and then execute the plan without a moment's reflection on the bizarre mixed-flavour milkshake they are serving to their kids.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Thanks NIS, that's a fair question and one I have often posed, quietly - to myself of course - when I have seen parents send their child to the local Catholic primary and then on to a secondary school of a completely different flavour. These days it seems religion is last on the list of priorities for most parents with whom I've had this conversation. Reasons for choice of school, ESPECIALLY for boys, run the gamut from brand-name status through sporting opportunities, recent HSC results (eek!) convenience of travel and Dad's old-boy status right down to the dumbest of all "he wanted to be with his friends".

Occasionally you do hear academics cited as a genuine reason for choice, beyond public exam results. It's rare that any parent expresses an interest in the ethos of the school, let alone the specific type of religion practised there.

I find it as mystifying as you do, but I've watched too many plan for it and then execute the plan without a moment's reflection on the bizarre mixed-flavour milkshake they are serving to their kids.
The funny thing is, none of these Wavely kids chose Shore.

Status
Not open for further replies.