• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

loiterer

Sydney Middleton (9)
There was an article in todays Australian that stated that the NRL is planning on preventing NRL clubs from offering contracts kids to play the game they play in hell. The article states that one club is spending $400k pa to sign up players under 18. How will this affect school scholarships/recruitment next year?

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
If st augustines has 8 Harold matts manly players I would be curious to know how many are on bursaries, scholarships etc

As I know they do it, don't necessarily think it a bad thing, but do note auggies rugby dominance in ISA

And wonder if ISA has any GPS code on the subject?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Augustine's may well have 8 Harold Matts league reps at the school. I think you'll find that at least some of those 8 have been at the school since Year 5 and also have younger and older siblings there.

Augustine's seem to dominate the younger age groups and the other schools seem to catch up later - which is a bit counter-intuitive to the theory that there are a significant number on bursaries. I'm not questioning that some might be - I just don't know.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well there's one family who I know, the eldest is currently in Year 12 I think (or maybe Year 11?), who played rugby from when he was 6, started at Augustines in Yr 7 and was asked by his mates to bolster their league team when he was about 15. He's since been picked in every league rep team by Manly and already has a contract of some sort for the next 2 seasons (which I assume means he's now in Yr 12). Could be one that we've lost.:(

Augustines has a sizeable league demographic (no doubt more in some age groups than others in terms of ability), they play rugby for school and club league.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Do the manly talent scouts - assuming they havent all been sacked - hang around the front gate at 3pm?

Ask the legendary bob Fulton I believe he is in charge now. I suggest the rugby hierarchy be on top of this as we don't want to lose our best players at this young age not being pro-active . When these professional clubs are giving these talented kids the best professional coaching they can get.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
O'Shea going to SJC was to do with his father teaching there I seem to recall.
All the rest is spot on - though you may wish to have an up-to-date look at some of those players so your assessment remains current.

Sonnydillwilliams your judgement and current knowledge of upcoming kids is being questioned by inside shoulder.
Who is the better judge?
Personally I say Charlie smith could be anything as a rugby player with a bit more size his brother goes alright as well.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Ask the legendary bob Fulton I believe he is in charge now. I suggest the rugby hierarchy be on top of this as we don't want to lose our best players at this young age not being pro-active . When these professional clubs are giving these talented kids the best professional coaching they can get.

Your naivety is refreshing

RugbyHd

Chris McKivat (8)

Informed

Frank Nicholson (4)
Losing a quality player like Tom Wright, for the few years anyway, just highlights rugby unions inability to compete with league at the junior level when it comes to financial incentives.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Losing a quality player like Tom Wright, for the few years anyway, just highlights rugby unions inability to compete with league at the junior level when it comes to financial incentives.
I have a feeling that league might be in his DNA on his fathers side and he may have played as a youngster.
It won't affect him as much as some but 2 years out of the code will stunt his progress and his special talents are far more useful and valued in union than league.

Informed

Frank Nicholson (4)
I have a feeling that league might be in his DNA on his fathers side and he may have played as a youngster.
It won't affect him as much as some but 2 years out of the code will stunt his progress and his special talents are far more useful and valued in union than league.
Agreed! On very good authority, a sevens contract was to be offered which I would have thought would have been comparable to what Manly would offer. Perhaps it hadn't been formally tabled. Ultimately, you can give young men advice but you have to let these boys play what they want to play.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Randwick always lose kids to league

Oh yeh.
I coached the randwick under 12s rep side a two years ago, of that squad, only 4 or 5 are still playing union. Most are playing league or nothing at all.
Must be the positive influence I had on them lol.

I played league and union growing up but went to colts instead of 'pub footy' and played til I was 34!!

The randwick academy is free as well, (kids have to nominate themselves and show up each session), the kids get a shirt and a hat for nothing and 2 good sessions a week over 12 weeks of summer. It's a lot better than nothing, but we can't compete with free rego in the souths leagues competition....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Union clubs (particularly in the east) lose them before they have even got them

Have heard of die hard Union parents who called easts, told... You missed rego day, all full up ... Called Randwick clubs much same thing

There should be a central email registration such that such people aren't lost at inception

Sons who get a taste of league end up enjoying it, making mates ... There is no going back to Randwick , once in the rooters junior squad

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Sons who get a taste of league end up enjoying it, making mates . There is no going back to Randwick , once in the rooters junior squad

Or the junior bunnies squad. That's a genuine goal for kids in this area!

We had Drew Mitchell come and present the jerseys to the randwick rep team I had and half the kids didn't know who he was. Yet they can name every NRL player from every club!

Thru the randwick academy we are trying our best to keep kids in rugby!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
When you consider that there are players joining the Randi-Wix Colts programme from Newport, Hoxton Park, Ashcroft, West Harbour, Illawarra, Lemeah, Kogorah, Cowra, Lindfield, Hunters Hill, Coonamble, Vaucluse and many other points of the compass, it is little wonder that the local kids look to the Chooks and Bunnies as a genuine goal. The Gallopers seem to make do with "developing" the occasional former local kid from out of the CAS or GPS system to keep their roster full.

Why try to develop and retain more than a handful your own, or to try and keep kids in rugby when there is a ready source of talented players keen to come to the club from outside?

The kids in the Junior Randwick Academy probably feel feel really good about belonging to the club that won the 2015 Colts Club Championship. Success is contagious and a very powerful drug. It will work well for those in the Academy and help to keep them motivated, probably right up until the year that they graduate to Colts themselves and they find that they are riding the pine, or not even required for the Colts 3 roster because the scouts have found the new next best thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.