• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
i think that all would agree that newington are the biggest importers... they also need it the most

Not sure about 'all would agree' Fernando, also not sure if they need it most. I think your comment is somewhat churlish.

I would say 'very easy to agree with the mass'. More important to look at the facts;

1) As far as I can tell the top 5 GPS teams all 'import' to some degree. Numbers and ethnic origins vary depending on schools and particular years. Newington is simply more ethnically diverse from kindy on, and the word 'import' does not help the subject.
2) Plenty of commentary on this site re Newington seems to originate / relates to them winning the comp the year before last. That team happened to be a champion team from year 7 - 12. From this forum, from the informed posters, it is clear their was no significant 'importing' in that year group.
3) This is not to say in anyway that Newington does not 'import'. They clearly do, as do the other 4. The bigger issue here I think is the racial undertone to many posts, and the fact that teams like Newington who have not won for a number of years are shot down when they do well. (Fernando this is not directed at you).

I am not originally from Australia, have no ties with any of these schools, but go to the games and enjoy watching the best rugby you can see anywhere. The standard and atmosphere is superb.

It is a shame though when on the sidelines, or on this site, one continually hears / senses reference to skin colour or the Australian recent achiever / tall poppy.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Sorry Providence, where is the 'clear' evidence that they all import? View and Shore have clean records when it comes to importing. This has already been discussed to death on this forum...

F

fernando

providence

the team that one it i know imported a their best centre latunipulu and family has been given scholarships for all their children and the brother of this boy will be starting year 11 next year on a full scholarship, also they're is another brother in year 12 now that will be playing either 1st's or 2nd's

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
the team that one it i know imported a their best centre latunipulu and family has been given scholarships for all their children and the brother of this boy will be starting year 11 next year on a full scholarship, also they're is another brother in year 12 now that will be playing either 1st's or 2nd's

Joe Mac, You are right this subject has been done to death.....and indeed certain things do blend in better at different places.

....but, what Fernando is saying above illustrates my above posting. I am clearly saying in my post that in my opinion Newington does both currently and in the past, including in their winning year, bring in players. (I'm going to stop using the word import!). My point is that the other 4 / 5 do the same in in similar numbers depending on the year. The simple fact is that some of the Newington boys stick out.....comments on here seem to consistently pick out boys / schools based around colour. I know I'm going to get shot down here and it is a terribly uncomfortable subject to talk about but I think it has considerable merit.

Perhaps too uncomfortable, too close to home for too many of us? I only go to the rugby, i'm agnostic on the schools, no preference.

Perhaps I am wrong about the above. Newington are currently GPS champions in 4/6, or over half the major sports completed so far in 2012, with Rugby and Football to play for soon.

Perhaps it is that other human characteristic that is irking posters here?

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Joe Mac, You are right this subject has been done to death.....and indeed certain things do blend in better at different places.

Done to death but I still keep coming back here to read posts so its just as much my fault than anyone else!

At this moment in time, New are the heaviest importers of Rugby players but not so long ago it was Kings (when I was at school) and before them Scots. To my knowledge, View and Shore do not import. View are fortunate to have something like 280 kids in yr 11 & 12 these days I am told (it was 250 when I was there), so by sheer numbers they produce strong sporting teams. But they don't import. Shore have massive units from their rowing program but they too aren't involved in importing...

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
At this moment in time, New are the heaviest importers of Rugby players but not so long ago it was Kings (when I was at school) and before them Scots. To my knowledge, View and Shore do not import. View are fortunate to have something like 280 kids in yr 11 & 12 these days I am told (it was 250 when I was there), so by sheer numbers they produce strong sporting teams. But they don't import. Shore have massive units from their rowing program but they too aren't involved in importing...[/quote]

Joe Mac, off topic but I would be interested to hear if you know whether some schools have pursued similar recruitment techniques historically re Cricket or Rowing for example?

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Joe Mac, off topic but I would be interested to hear if you know whether some schools have pursued similar recruitment techniques historically re Cricket or Rowing for example?

Im no expert about this topic but I think its very difficult to import rowers as there arent many places for them to develop outside of GPS (in NSW anyway). IS seems to be knowledgeable on the topic, im sure he will give more info here...

I

International Badboy

SCOTS cricket last year good example of wasted importing

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Thats my view in relation to rowing JM: for teenage males in NSW there's no real rowing to be done outside the GPS. Cranbrook row, St Augustines row but off the top of my head I can't think of anyone else: perhaps Redlands? All the girl's private schools, pretty much, row, but they didn't have to take second fiddle to the existing GPS which the boys schools from CAS etc would perceive they would have to do. Pretty silly really - I know people who chose their kids school on the basis that it would give them the opportunity to row if they wanted to! and its a great sport, particular for learning how to find that extra little bit when the chips are down for rugby!!

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
As international bad boy stated Scots had all sorts of issues. They were taken to by SJC 1st Xl if memory serves me, one of the batsman was in yr 9 or 10?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
i dont understand what you are getting at
Not getting at anything more than the fact that it seemed odd timing to dig up the pitch in the middle of their only full size rugby field (it is full size isn't it - because there was a rumour that the pitch prior to the one they just dug up was 1m longer than "necessary") just as the rugby season was beginning.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
oh thank god finally some structure what are the new rules light?!?!?!?!

There will no longer be any sporting scholarships offered by any QLD GPS Schools. Obviously, academic scholarships will still exist so therefore any boy that is 'imported' will be on the grounds of his academic achievements rather than sporting. It won't end the debate because schools will just look to import kids who are doing well academically and can play rugby and then just alter a few of their subjects so they appear to be achieving well. It will be up to other schools to pressure the main offenders to stop and with the old boy affiliation and prestige that comes with winning some of the GPS trophies it is unlikely that much will change. Talents such as Quade Cooper who don't do so well academically just will no longer get the opportunity to attend GPS schools.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There will no longer be any sporting scholarships offered by any QLD GPS Schools. Obviously, academic scholarships will still exist so therefore any boy that is 'imported' will be on the grounds of his academic achievements rather than sporting. It won't end the debate because schools will just look to import kids who are doing well academically and can play rugby and then just alter a few of their subjects so they appear to be achieving well. It will be up to other schools to pressure the main offenders to stop and with the old boy affiliation and prestige that comes with winning some of the GPS trophies it is unlikely that much will change. Talents such as Quade Cooper who don't do so well academically just will no longer get the opportunity to attend GPS schools.
do you believe in the tooth fairy too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

V

Viss

Yeah it's all very stupid. I think the association will be able to pressure offending schools enough to ensure that the kids are doing well academically.
light, you seem to know a fair bit about scholarships within the GPS, just wondering what you know about the current situation in the AIC, with a few of the schools beginning to import (or at least beginning to openly admit it). I for one know that St Peters, St Patricks, Marist and possibly Eddies as well have attracted players with financial assistance. Do you expect this situation to get much worse?

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Brian, IIRC you started this whole debate/debacle when Grammar imported you back in the mid-70's to represent them in every sport. ;)
Aah, Lincoln.... It was an academic scholarship then, that has now put me 3 I/C in gravel sorting on Blacktown council. Cream rises to the top.