• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
What about the Easter Bunny?
Apropos a debate going on in the GPS 2012 thread it is interesting that neither Joeys nor view nor Newington have really been able to achieve dominance in rowing whereas in rugby each does very well.
Of course you cant go out and find top notch rowers outside the GPS.......so you cant bring them in on a musical triangle scholarship

IS we have already gone through this in regards to View and the no scholarships thing. They don't have any rugby scholarships masked as triangle scholarships or bursaries. What they do have a is bloody big numbers in each year which generally affords them quite a few good footy players. Something like 250 + kids in each year.

They arent as good at rowing as Shore because its not as big of a priority for them. I know Shore measure the kids in year 7 to establish which kids have the right build for rowing and then put them in the program. At View (as far as I am aware) they still have teachers running the 1st VIII and quite low participation relative to the other summer sports. As an old View boy I find this a little sad as I think rowing is one of the great GPS sports and they should take it as seriously as they do rugby...

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
The GPS Headmasters beomg to an organisation called AHISA - the Association of Heads of Independent Schools of Australia. For years AHISA debated sporting scholarships. Then one year someone decided to resolve the issue once and for all and legal advice was sought. That advice was that a prohibition on sporting scholarships could be regarded as an unlawful restraint of trade. So here is what the official AHISA policy now is:

The use of sporting scholarships to secure the presence in one school of a number of students with high levels of sporting prowess impinges directly on the educational value of sport as an integral part of the life of many members' schools. Members are encouraged to have primary regard to the welfare of students and to the educational value of sport rather than to the individual school's interest in attracting large numbers of students with sporting prowess, when offering scholarships.

Now, you do hear it said that the official position of the GPS schools is that there are no sporting scholarships. If that rule exists, I know of no-one who believes it is applied. Everyone believes, of course, that the school with which they are connected observes the rule, while every other school (OK, except Grammar and High) breaches it routinely. You can draw your own conclusions from that. And hope that you never have to play against the 1st XV of a GPS school celebrating a significant anniversary.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It involves an old boy, who left the school in 40s, with a large member who, when at the school, was photographed in such a way as to make his endowment obvious. I have seen the photo once and every boy i have ever known from View remembers it fondly.
I actually met Lance in the late 70's (before I learned of this photo) in Port Stephens.
Perhaps there was no one in your year worthy of the award?

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The winner in my year ended up batting for the other team, sadly he passed away recently and was a good mate of mine all these years.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Code of Practice

In the light of these principles, the GPS Headmasters affirm the following code of practice:

1. No inducements such as sporting scholarships, whether direct, disguised, or at arm's length, shall be offered by any member school. Financial assistance to talented sportsmen shall not form part of the enrolment strategy of any member school.
  2. We affirm that the Headmaster of each school is responsible for knowing the special circumstances relating to the admission of boys to his school.
  3. In the selection and training of boys in teams or crews, the good of the individual boy shall remain paramount.
  4. While allowing for some exceptional circumstances, we believe that it is poor educational practice for a boy to engage in a single sport throughout the year.
http://www.aagps.nsw.edu.au/

rugbysik

Stan Wickham (3)
Hardy= his father was an old boy
Sandell= his brother only just finished year 12
pennisi= he is a math genius
Hardly-Would be on a old boy bursary.
Sandell, I heard some where that Kurtly Beales brother went to Joeys and wasn't Kurtly on a scholarship.
Pennisi-Still a scholarship, it would of helped if he had a rugby back round.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Inside.S,

Could the legendary Joeys promise to a Newington parent of 2 unit maths for their son, rather than his at the time maths in society at Newington, be described as an 'inducement'?

Think it would be a bit of a stretch! Does show you though that families / players can be 'induced' in different ways.

I hope I am misunderstanding this: are you saying joeys said if he comes to SJC he can do 2 unit maths? Was he doing maths in society at NC because that was all he was up to doing or for some other reason?
No doubt the parents and the boy would have differing views as to whether this is an inducement.
Evidently no one was too concerned about the slightly different flavouring in the religious component.

F

fernando

tobias rudolf was given a scholarship to scots this year and has started year 10

TheInsideGuy

Frank Row (1)
I can confirm that Riverview have imported a new player from the Western district named Will Carr. From the form I've seen him in for club and rep footy he will be very likely to make an impact in the 1s side this year. Very strong ball runner and great inside step - fantastic player to watch.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I can confirm that Riverview have imported a new player from the Western district named Will Carr. From the form I've seen him in for club and rep footy he will be very likely to make an impact in the 1s side this year. Very strong ball runner and great inside step - fantastic player to watch.

How can you confirm this? what source?

I find it highly unlikely seeing View don't import

Status
Not open for further replies.