• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
Will someone kill this thread? I cannot help but think we are all going to disappear into a black hole and wash up in a far off galaxy.

But while we are waiting:
  • the quality of discussion is straying to the personal
  • I cannot see that a Scotch College principal is independent. On the other hand there were comments lamenting that Scots stakeholders might have been excluded by Lambert. Looks like a Church representative to me, so everyone might take comfort that transparency exists on that side of the fence
  • Back to my hobby horse; transparency. Someone lamented that no one was prepared to put up a solution. This is now my 50th post, many of which have called for transparency as a solution
  • Yet to hear a response apart from "zero", "formula" or a bunch of others from IDLTT et al which have nothing to add
  • Possibly the AAGPS is at breaking point, not necessarily because one school seeks sporting domination, there are others with alternative objectives i.e. eliminating sporting competitiveness as a qualifier for participation. Still interested to see if the Headmasters making this call have fully consulted with their stakeholders.
  • My other perennial, the world has moved on. It was a neat solution to stand in a circle holding hands, gazing lovingly into each others eyes, and saying we do not have any sporting inducements, bursaries or scholarships. Just will not cut it in this day and age. They took a shortcut, failed to face the complexity and have landed us all in deep shit!

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
As an interesting aside I would just like to point out that the NRL was at the point of despair before appointing a commission to run the game.

16 clubs, two states and a couple of country RL was too much for the game to survive.

8 GPS schools and their "supporters" in Sydney cannot run their affairs in a transparent and cooperative manner.

Anyone care to guess how many rugby codes in Australia survive until 2100?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Play the ball not the man.
But that should be expected,when your arguments are shallow.
I still await you response where I stated your arguments are shallow(edit:I meant to write contradictory)
Or was that it?

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
Mate, the facts are that you never look beyond the couple of words or half sentences that you need to misrepresent what has been said so that you can make a sarcastic and useless remark. I had a look at your contributions when you first described me as an idiot.

As you say, play the ball. I think you are better suited when it is round!

dodgyknee

Allen Oxlade (6)
Is Aust going to continue running rugby, I hope we successfully beat NZ in the adult team at least. But that argument is endless too.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Let us move into the hypothetical space, @dodgyknee.

Do you think Schools should offer inducements to talented athletes?

Do you believe that Principals should act in breach of a Gentleman's agreement between likeminded Principals about how games between schools should be conducted?

If one or more Schools have actively breached the Gentleman's agreement about how games between schools should be conducted, do you believe that the other Principals should just HTFU and do nothing?

Dodgy Knee, Despite saying that you will stop posting on this thread, you keep returning.
If you can't or won't stop posting, then would you be so kind as to answer the hypothetical questions posed above?

dodgyknee

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thanks for asking but not sure how to answer anything without stirring anyone, I can see how good reasonable opinions, creates fights of two sides. I must go quite now for own sanity.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
Dear Hugh

There can be no doubt that Dodgy has put himself out there as a large and slow moving target.

However I am still waiting for a response from the many learned friends on this site to my contention over the last month that the only possible answer here is to establish a transparent system that enables the respective school bodies and other schools to understand what support is offered.

Zero is not an appropriate or effective measure.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Mate, the facts are that you never look beyond the couple of words or half sentences that you need to misrepresent what has been said so that you can make a sarcastic and useless remark. I had a look at your contributions when you first described me as an idiot.

As you say, play the ball. I think you are better suited when it is round!
Correction,I stated that your first post was idiotic in calling for thread to be closed (I note you have now amended this post!)
Again, somewhat contradictory as you approach your half century on this topic alone.
There is a distinction between saying something idiotic and being an idiot.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Muglair, If there was a simple solution, then we wouldn't be on the 173rd page of this thread, as that simple solution would have been implemented many years ago.

This is like the third tier competition debate.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
Muglair, If there was a simple solution, then we wouldn't be on the 173rd page of this thread, as that simple solution would have been implemented many years ago.

This is like the third tier competition debate.

Looking at the perilous financial state of the ARU - concern should be shown for the continuation of a first tier competition in this country.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
Correction,I stated that your first post was idiotic in calling for thread to be closed (I note you have now amended this post!)
Again, somewhat contradictory as you approach your half century on this topic alone.
There is a distinction between saying something idiotic and being an idiot.
First correction. Post not amended, you just responded to whatever you thought you read, saw or imagined. Refer to my previous post on your lack of comprehension skills.

As for the contradictions you imagine you see I very much doubt that you even understand the consequences of where this whole GPS/scholarship fiasco could really land.

Life really is very simple. You have to have the integrity to face the world as it is, where you want it to be and figure out how you bridge the gap.

Over 3 years many of the people in this thread have flirted with this conundrum but the thread lives on and no one outside of it who might make a difference seems to have taken notice.

I am so tempted to say this is my last word but we are all moths to the flame.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)

Very true.

However as repeatedly stated my view is that the problem is that all of the Headmasters found it convenient to pretend it was simple and collectively pretend that there were zero inducements/scholarships.

While I am sure that many of the respondents are very earnest about the fact that their particular school offers NONE ZERO inducements those schools will have, in fact, provided some support at some stage under circumstances that might look like it. All schools provide hardship assistance, especially to sons of Old Boys etc. Some will have proved to be very able sportsmen.

If it was me I would probably recommend extending Dr X's retainer to include interviewing all of the bursary students at Scots, and then review the books and interview all of the students of the other 7 schools. A complete report could be tabled using codes for schools (A-H) and students (1-999) detailing the circumstances. Then everyone has a complete picture of the state of play here in 2013.

Each school body could then review the details and consider the school management's explanations for the course of action they have taken.

Continuous disclosure will allow the school bodies to monitor their own school's policies while the other 7 schools can monitor each other and perhaps recognise unacceptable levels of support before they really start to impact on results. While each school should be free to pursue its own policies I think everyone agrees that a level and competitive playing field is in the best interests of everybody. Note that the academically weighted policies of Grammar, High and Scots have not delivered competitive sporting results over the last 20 years.

I do not really see how else it can be resolved but as usual look forward to constructive responses. I do not consider responses such as there is a rule (zero) or we should use a formula as being terribly constructive. This is the currently unworkable status quo (173 pages pretty much proves it does not work).

For those who have missed the point; there are apparently no dispute reconciliation provisions in the AAGPS rules and as I doubt that the 5 headmasters really have the full and binding authority to break up the GPS over this I suggest it would be useful for everyone to consider ways to move forward.

And I still do not understand the point of Music Scholarships

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
some one proof read this stuff, I am on a phone, I can hardly understand what I spat out. But i have thick skin now and happy to leave argument for good- just don't write stuff, and bringing me back in . No qlder jokes, or spelling jokes unless they are funny. private schools boys are so competitive, I guess I am expecting more grief, but I have to give up answering back sooner or later. I now realize why there are people that come and go on this discussion, its endless. Don't anyone defend anything I said unless you want to rack up your mobile, let it go like I will now.

Dodgyknee has now officially eclipsed John Farnham in the number of comebacks.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Can someone find a translator for the language called "dodgyknee", because I have no f*cking idea 'of what the f*ck he is on about'.

In real estate jargon, his posts would be described as a renovator's dream.

The rest of us would describe them as a run down dump that should be demolished.

Status
Not open for further replies.