• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

dodgyknee

Allen Oxlade (6)
Concur. Wouldn't want to give scholarships to kids with a history of extreme disruptive behavioural or criminal histories would you.
if you can turn them around, yes they are included to improve school religious hsc score, and give them a chance to change, if they have a talent that deserves a chance

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
most private schools are religious schools, thats a pretty good reason for showing it, and doing it. Being a qlder, and after what has happened to schools up here, it seems like rules of aagps system may need an overhaul, as there seem to be a lot of unproven accusations being spread, even after reports have shown no wrong doing, and false reports in papers very bias for a. Story are shown to be incorrect. Don't blame schools who are scared, making initial accusations( probably because the headmasters are being questioned by parents why they are not doing so well lately) , but those questions have been answered in reports, and nothing proving otherwise. I wish we could see reports from other schools who made accusation , it would prevent more accusations. I think we will find that most of the schools making accusations will all be back playing each other very soon, if morals and fair judgement shine through. Someone check my spelling, as exposed on my previous posts, this is on phone without the forum app .sorry. I suppose if the schools had the funds, and they are religious schools, the more kids that can go to schools like all these schools free if they can't afford it ,the better for there religious hsc results score . Scholarships should be about talent in whatever area you choose, academics or sport, not money, or dates of arrival at schools.
What did Shore do to offend any obligation to extend "noblisse oblige" to any other school?
This is all horseshit: Bezerker (a more aptly named forum member is hard to think of) has got some bee in his bonnet about shore doing well in the HSC and badly in rugby and (I think) suggests that refusing to play TSC in basketball, when you've done better in the HSC than them, offends some obligation of generosity of spirit to TSC.
Its frigging mind boggling.
Not least because (a) Shore is not academically selective (b) it doesnt poach academic kids, and (c) it didnt sign up to a pact with Scots to underperform in the HSC.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
ATM no,the rules of the comp do not allow it.
Anyway,he turned up to Joeys with those silky skills.
I recall Lee Grant I think,posting that in his first year at Joeys he played one trial in his own age group,before they bumped him up two age groups.
Players like him are born like that.
He would have been a success,regardless of where he went to School.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
ATM no,the rules of the comp do not allow it.
Anyway,he turned up to Joeys with those silky skills.
I recall Lee Grant I think,posting that in his first year at Joeys he played one trial in his own age group,before they bumped him up two age groups.
Players like him are born like that.
He would have been a success,regardless of where he went to School.

and he started in Year 7 and his brother also attended the school

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yep, your right.i didn't take into account the genuine indigenous program Joeys have in place.
I don't think commencement dates are relevant,some kids have been recruited from Primary School.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
This has to be the busiest most watched most commented on forum going.

Yet no solutions and I suspect if I viewed it in two years it would be the same.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
You are very luck indeed. Luckier than me certainly. My boys won't get into Architecture. For them rugby is what keeps them at school. It is what get's them to participate. If I put the boot into Shore it is because it can show no noblesse oblige even though it is currently on the top of the heap.
The purpose of school is that our children can think for themselves. For some of us this is more critical than what job we get. The purpose of school is so that each student can become the best that they can become. The purpose of school is to be able to glean an answer to the important questions that we face. I wish you well.
Luck.... Yes, thats it... Luck. Now I realise that you are just setting baits. Berserker ol' mate... The old adage is "the only time that Luck comes before Work, is in the dictionary"
I am suggesting with heartfelt thought, that you should abandon this forum and ask yourself where you wish your offspring to be... Because more young people from the graduating year of 2014 will become Orthopaedic Surgeons than professional Rugby Union/League players. Think long and hard about that.

As far as luck for my sons go, yes, they are lucky that both of their parents availed themselves at every opportunity to spend time with them making sure that study was done before extra curricular activities. Luck????
Yes... Definitely lucky, with the oldest working shit long hours and maintaining full time university... Yep thats luck too... Graduating with distinction averages... Must have been lucky there...
The youngest left school to take up work immediately and has continued to train, play and study as well... Lucky fella!!!! Living out of home too... Bloody lucky there too.
I could go on just how lucky I was and am too, but that is just being a tad overbearing.

And your reasoning that my sons and I are lucky offends me to the core.

sulidor

Bob McCowan (2)
....Beale got a scholarship on the basis of being indigenous, not on the basis of being a freakishly good rugby player ?; and then, when he got his first professional rugby contract, the school sent him a bill for six years fees; and he paid it....ho ho ho...

tavytoo

Peter Burge (5)
few more country lads coming down from north and suspect up from south too to gps and cas schools since getting into gold squads... wonder why!

dodgyknee

Allen Oxlade (6)
Luck.. Yes, thats it. Luck. Now I realise that you are just setting baits. Berserker ol' mate. The old adage is "the only time that Luck comes before Work, is in the dictionary"
I am suggesting with heartfelt thought, that you should abandon this forum and ask yourself where you wish your offspring to be. Because more young people from the graduating year of 2014 will become Orthopaedic Surgeons than professional Rugby Union/League players. Think long and hard about that.

As far as luck for my sons go, yes, they are lucky that both of their parents availed themselves at every opportunity to spend time with them making sure that study was done before extra curricular activities. Luck????
Yes. Definitely lucky, with the oldest working shit long hours and maintaining full time university. Yep thats luck too. Graduating with distinction averages. Must have been lucky there.
The youngest left school to take up work immediately and has continued to train, play and study as well. Lucky fella!!!! Living out of home too. Bloody lucky there too.
I could go on just how lucky I was and am too, but that is just being a tad overbearing.

And your reasoning that my sons and I are lucky offends me to the core.
Why is it that when people have a different opinion, or seem to see nothing wrong with the success of Scots college, that you get rather upset and ask people to leave forum. You do sound a bit like one of these headmasters that make false accusations to start with, and then get upset when people voice opinions. You are lucky, it shouldn't offend you to the core, if it does though, I can only imagine how sportsman who put huge effort in to achieve what they see as important, told on this forum that it does not rate as highly as academic success and its not worth effort and resources to achieve it. I am sure that may offend lots of parents, because you are wrong, sport opportunity, is one of the most talked about reasons for sending kids to private schools. Beserker put the boot in, like everyone has in this forum when he sees one sided research and comments

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Realise that, I was just Making a point, the success of any person or school, comes from hard work( no hard feelings Brian)

What was your point? That you don't accept the premise underlying the basketball boycott?
The boycott is an eloquent thing.
It doesn't matter what anyone other than the headmasters responsible think.
They are in by far the best position to know - far better than anyone on here except those with direct lines of communication.
Their actions, including the actions of those who are now getting cold feet, corroborated, in one fell swoop, all of the supposedly unsubstantiated "rumours": while one of them might act in haste it was unlikely that they all would.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
few more country lads coming down from north and suspect up from south too to gps and cas schools since getting into gold squads. wonder why!

Not just from the country, I hear.
And to the same school as attracted so much unfavourable attention in this thread over the last 2 years. Surely the "GFC enrolment crisis" has passed? Oh - and the 150 year anniversary.
I see Shore is 125 - who is turning up there?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I can only imagine how sportsman who put huge effort in to achieve what they see as important, told on this forum that it does not rate as highly as academic success and its not worth effort and resources to achieve it.
But the point is in a school academic success is more important than sport. The role of sport in schools is to complement the academic, not overtake it. It's the qualifications that we get at school, TAFE or university that get us qualified to find a good job, not whether or not we won the GPS basketball or rugby or whatever. That doesn't mean sport is unimportant and students who put effort into sport are recognised by all schools. But in the larger scheme of things the vast majority of boys who leave school won't be professional sportsmen and even the ones who do make it will finish playing by about 32-35. They then have about 30 years in the workforce. A small minority might get coaching or media work, but again the vast majority will need to find a job.

dodgyknee

Allen Oxlade (6)
But the point is in a school academic success is more important than sport. The role of sport in schools is to complement the academic, not overtake it. It's the qualifications that we get at school, TAFE or university that get us qualified to find a good job, not whether or not we won the GPS basketball or rugby or whatever. That doesn't mean sport is unimportant and students who put effort into sport are recognised by all schools. But in the larger scheme of things the vast majority of boys who leave school won't be professional sportsmen and even the ones who do make it will finish playing by about 32-35. They then have about 30 years in the workforce. A small minority might get coaching or media work, but again the vast majority will need to find a job.
I do agree with some things you are saying, but even an A at school doesn't set you up for later- but sport like, learning teaches skills and confidence, and mateship that last a lifetime, and shouldn't be underestimated in value or worth. Most schools already have grades for sport, 1st to 4th ect and already kids can choose their level of commitment to that area- parents worried about the competitive training of 1sts, usually let them play in lower grades, but don't spoil the fun for the kids that want to compete at s high level because they love it