• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

dodgyknee

Allen Oxlade (6)
Same thing has happened to me in the past:).

Possibly recent events in basketball and rugby have drawn into focus problems that need to be addressed. For any association to work, its members must have a common interest and apply common standards. The current situation whereby some schools strictly adhere to the code and some don't is clearly unsustainable in the long term.
sounds like this system will also reduce allegations, especially with a system of proof that headmasters can rely on. Aagps looks like having the chance of a bright future,

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
Happy days. Perhaps this thread will finally
get the death it deserves. 7 weeks of rowing
and then into the Rugby. What a beautiful thing.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Why would a review result in sporting scholarships being allowed?
To date no school has needed them (other than to deal with under enrollment because of the GFC) since the early 90s, when TKS did it for just a couple of years.
TSC, we are assured by its head and posters on here, is competitive, if not dominant, without having offered any talented sportsmen inducements to attend the school. NCs "crisis" (and notable birthday) has now passed and the blindside assured us that, even so, those boys were not scholarship recipients.
Why are they suddenly necessary where sporting glory has hitherto been achieved organically?
Come to think of it, why hold a review into something that isn't happening?

dodgyknee

Allen Oxlade (6)
To date no school has needed them (other than to deal with under enrollment because of the GFC) since the early 90s, when TKS did it for just a couple of years.
TSC, we are assured by its head and posters on here, is competitive, if not dominant, without having offered any talented sportsmen inducements to attend the school. NCs "crisis" (and notable birthday) has now passed and the blindside assured us that, even so, those boys were not scholarship recipients.
Why are they suddenly necessary where sporting glory has hitherto been achieved organically?
Come to think of it, why hold a review into something that isn't happening?
I think most people realise, that it is very hard for a school to maintain enrollments, or increase them, if you import, as you will turn most parents off sending them to these schools, the way to prosper which is also great for parents and kids is to invest teaches , coaches and facilities to produce results consistently and maintain enrollment numbers,because if you don't you can't afford facilities ect, you will have to import, your enrollment money will drop, vicious economic results for schools will occur. Hard work will proper for schools allegations won't. And to be fair, some schools may be able to offer a few , discounted positions or a couple of free ones, to keep balance,as they are religious schools, but an overbalance could be economically bad, - careful planning for correct balance will result in a happy school

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Ok dodgy, you left yourself logged in and someone posted in your name. This used to have a name on facebook but I can't find it.
Mind you that last "sentence" seems pretty authentic.

dodgyknee

Allen Oxlade (6)
Is , I was obviously, editing my post , with my last sentence, because it is more balance, and covers my thoughts on this while process. Everyone's thoughts and opinions, have provided an overall great balance and result I hope. As I am a private school student of past, and parent, I am hoping for the best result for these schools, parents, students. I am from qld, went to school in qld, seen things change up here, and after research and reading about these issues, formed an opinion Thats all. Back to reading the other rugby threads, what a great game rugby union is pity it not in all th schools, but thats another subject.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The review may well tighten up the current code of practice and impose sanctions on offending schools rather than having a boycott as the only response after a quiet word has failed. Dr Lambert's activities seem to have brought matters to a head. Hard to believe that the 5 schools who have boycotted basketball in oppostion to sporting scholarships/bursaries will change their views, given what they have said and written publicly.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Don't know if it's been commented upon previously, but the AAGPS Code of practice (No inducements such as sporting scholarships...) is now dated November 2013. Can't spot any big changes and the timing would appear not to allow for the external strategic review foreshadowed by Wright of Shore to have been considered.

Anyone know what was happenning?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Don't know if it's been commented upon previously, but the AAGPS Code of practice (No inducements such as sporting scholarships.) is now dated November 2013. Can't spot any big changes and the timing would appear not to allow for the external strategic review foreshadowed by Wright of Shore to have been considered.

Anyone know what was happenning?

Well spotted.
as ever when you go back to these things something else claims your attention:
The AAGPS was established to provide organised games between schools of similar aspiration.

GPS Observer

Herbert Moran (7)
If the 5 were receiving firm support from their own communities, the boycott would still be on.
The AAGPS is about to re-evaluate. My money says it will validate the Scots model.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If the 5 were receiving firm support from their own communities, the boycott would still be on.
The AAGPS is about to re-evaluate. My money says it will validate the Scots model.

Assuming that means 65 sporting scholarships then Unless my mail is wrong that will lead to a problem with it continuing in the form it has had for 100 years.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
But according to Scots, their "model" conforms to the current code. Or is this finally an acknowledgement that they are operating a sports programme contrary to the code?

The Scots model seems to involve falling exam marks and winning sporting teams. Is that the model that the AAGPS really want?

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
Shit, I must have been lucky to get them in

What a monstrous thing to say about your own sons. I am sure they would have achieved as well in any of the other schools due to their hard work and vigilance of their father. What a shame you can not walk head high and cow tow to a particular franchise. We should all stick together and improve all our schools as that is what they deserve.

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
In what way does shore fail to exhibit noblesse oblige and why should it?

Let's forget about past misdemeanours. The reason that all schools should show some noblesse oblige is so that they can enjoy their success when they inevitably defeat Scots. Otherwise you will be furtively watching the scoreboard, without comment.

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
Not least because (a) Shore is not academically selective (b) it doesnt poach academic kids, and (c) it didnt sign up to a pact with Scots to underperform in the HSC.

a)That's right. Shore isn't selective - it's de-selective. What else can you do when you have 200 boys trying to fill 150 spots. You de-select that's what. And it will have more to do with prospective HSC results than a random selection made by a chicken and a box of tissues.
b) who knows - they certainly did it with rowers, so I presume they would entertain the idea in all areas.
c) You really need to take this pie back to the tuck shop. It is all gravy and no meat. Nothing in the Naplan figures support your fanciful notions. Have you thought of opening up a car yard?

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Inside Shoulder said:
Don't US schools have a system where you can have a set number of imports for sport but these also need to be matched by academic scholarships.

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
I for one am pleased to hear of the immanent winding back of the reprehensible boycott by the gang of 5, and I look forward to hearing of any new initiatives that might bring us closer together as we head into these difficult times.