• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
Inside Shoulder said:
Why would a review result in sporting scholarships being allowed?
Don't US schools have a system where you can have a set number of imports for sport but these also need to be matched by academic scholarships.

Yes but everyone at High is already on an academic scholarship. That's why they need 3 rugby ones to even it out. Then they'd still have one less that Scots.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
a)That's right. Shore isn't selective - it's de-selective. What else can you do when you have 200 boys trying to fill 150 spots. You de-select that's what. And it will have more to do with prospective HSC results than a random selection made by a chicken and a box of tissues.
b) who knows - they certainly did it with rowers, so I presume they would entertain the idea in all areas.
c) You really need to take this pie back to the tuck shop. It is all gravy and no meat. Nothing in the Naplan figures support your fanciful notions. Have you thought of opening up a car yard?
You realise Naplan is Yrs 3 and 5 and where the HSC fits in? Or do I assume too much? Have you thought of making sense?

Oranges

Frank Nicholson (4)
On the basketball front, rumour has it that one of the scots hot shots has received a scholarship to the AIS and won't be wearing yellow when the season starts next week. He didn't play at the trinity knockout last week which is the main warm up for most schools before the comp kicks off. This was where the information came from.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
On the basketball front, rumour has it that one of the scots hot shots has received a scholarship to the AIS and won't be wearing yellow when the season starts next week. He didn't play at the trinity knockout last week which is the main warm up for most schools before the comp kicks off. This was where the information came from.
Out poached! Evidently you can't buy loyalty, he doesn't need the education offered and the GPS is not the be all and end all.
Actually Naplan occurs in years 3, 5, 7 and 9. While I hope I fall short of attacking Berserker, I still can't quite follow his argument.
I think that he's hinting that Because naplan is not undertaken in the HSC year the index of socio economic advantage does not apply to the HSC.
I decided that, if that was his point, it wasn't a point.
I also decided that he is the trolliest troll on the net.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)

It would seem Isaac Humphries is off to the AIS! Good luck to him! High must now be firming as favourites.
http://www.basketball.net.au/index.php?id=302&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=3165&cHash=aa56a518e8

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
Actually Naplan occurs in years 3, 5, 7 and 9. While I hope I fall short of attacking Berserker, I still can't quite follow his argument.

The Naplan graphs show that all the schools perform similarly on the raw material they have to start with. ie the increased learning of each of their body of students runs a parallel course. In particular there is no evidence for a vacuum effect - a sort of common sense cumulative effect where the selective schools take off exponentially. Secondly the Socio-economic assumptions that we make are also wrong. It seems that Kings students do not all come from Parramatta, College Street students do not all live at the Astor... Not surprising really.

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
Out poached! Evidently you can't buy loyalty, he doesn't need the education offered and the GPS is not the be all and end all.

I think that he's hinting that Because naplan is not undertaken in the HSC year the index of socio economic advantage does not apply to the HSC.
I decided that, if that was his point, it wasn't a point.
I also decided that he is the trolliest troll on the net.

Out poached: This is the conundrum faced by all employers. Hire the hotshot who will only stay a short while or hire the mediocre who will stay for life.
The index of Socioeconomic advantage: never applies to GPS schools. Only to the Mosman/Lithgow divide in state schools. How wonderful that it makes a non democratic body such as the board of studies somehow accountable.
Troll: Not clever enough by half, just opposed to the GPS becoming segregated by leaving our rugby playing boys behind. Segregation in education a bad look for all.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Oops, having only experience at primary schooling for my son so far, I was unaware of the latter 2 years. Thank you for correcting that.
I still can't quite see what it has to do with the HSC, though, nor follow his line of, um, reasoning.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The Naplan graphs show that all the schools perform similarly on the raw material they have to start with. ie the increased learning of each of their body of students runs a parallel course. In particular there is no evidence for a vacuum effect - a sort of common sense cumulative effect where the selective schools take off exponentially. Secondly the Socio-economic assumptions that we make are also wrong. It seems that Kings students do not all come from Parramatta, College Street students do not all live at the Astor. Not surprising really.
The socio-economic index actually applies to where the parents reside, their level of education and type of employment etc., not the location of the school. The effect of socio-economic status on educational outcomes is broadly accepted, you're about the first person I've heard question it.

These are but 3 of the research papers into the topic.

http://www.monash.edu.au/access/assets/pdf/emmaline-bexley-presentation.pdf

http://www.apa.org/pi/ses/resources/publications/factsheet-education.aspx

http://www.cshe.unimelb.edu.au/research/equity/docs/eip02_5.pdf

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
......Troll: Not clever enough by half, just opposed to the GPS becoming segregated by leaving our rugby playing boys behind. Segregation in education a bad look for all.
OK,I'll bite.
Which of the New boys would be "our boys"
Are the genuine fee paying kids relegated the the 2nds by all their imports,going to be disadvantaged by playing 1sts in a weaker comp,if imports disappeared from the landscape?

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
Please do not attribute to me the assumptions you make.

Including this one

The only assumption that I'd make is that you haven't gone to the myschool website, entered the name of the school that you wish to champion, call up another tab and enter the name of the school you wish to denigrate, then select Student gain, then select year range 7-9, tick Selected School and Students with same starting score on both browser pages. Hit the submit button and read it and weep. Well done on the other matter. I was wrong.

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
OK,I'll bite.
Which of the New boys would be "our boys"
Are the genuine fee paying kids relegated the the 2nds by all their imports,going to be disadvantaged by playing 1sts in a weaker comp,if imports disappeared from the landscape?

Our boys would be all those boys who want to play rugby as a part of their overall educational experience. Yes, players who find themselves playing in 1st XV in a weaker competition will also have been disadvantaged, for while they can brag that hey played 1's they will have had less of an experience whilst doing so. For this reason a couple of scholarships for those schools with a weak year is essential. For all the vitriol, I can only see 2 active rugby scholarships in Scots 1s in the last 2 years - a speedy winger and a forward whose tackle count is about 20 at oranges. But the symbolism to boys who would have left school would it not have been for rugby is enormous. It's is no difference from having a drama scholar so that this years musical isn't a total disaster.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The only assumption that I'd make is that you haven't gone to the myschool website, entered the name of the school that you wish to champion, call up another tab and enter the name of the school you wish to denigrate, then select Student gain, then select year range 7-9, tick Selected School and Students with same starting score on both browser pages. Hit the submit button and read it and weep. Well done on the other matter. I was wrong.
The comment I challenged was about the index of socio economic advantage.
Don't change the subject.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Our boys would be all those boys who want to play rugby as a part of their overall educational experience. Yes, players who find themselves playing in 1st XV in a weaker competition will also have been disadvantaged, for while they can brag that hey played 1's they will have had less of an experience whilst doing so. For this reason a couple of scholarships for those schools with a weak year is essential. For all the vitriol, I can only see 2 active rugby scholarships in Scots 1s in the last 2 years - a speedy winger and a forward whose tackle count is about 20 at oranges. But the symbolism to boys who would have left school would it not have been for rugby is enormous. It's is no difference from having a drama scholar so that this years musical isn't a total disaster.
Who is the arbiter of what constitutes a weak year? And is the test of weakness imposed before or after you account for all the recruiting done by the other school surreptitiously?
It's many moons since anyone questioned the import policy for TSC rugby in the last 2 years. This year is a different story.
And anyway the brouhaha over your school centres on b'ball for the time being.
how so?
He's at he AIS in Canberra and you can't train or play b'ball for TSC by correspondence.
Lurking in this article is proof of the shortcoming and potential vice of these talent identification schemes: he hopes to grow another 5 or 10 cm - what if he doesn't???

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You share the same lack of comprehension and logic as my ex.
Given my track record in that regard.
I'll just agree to disagree vehemently and move on.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
how so?
He's at he AIS in Canberra and you can't train or play b'ball for TSC by correspondence.

So isnt that what you want? The school is supporting his education without receiving any benefit from his basketball ability and someone else gets a chance at furthering themself on and off the court.

Lurking in this article is proof of the shortcoming and potential vice of these talent identification schemes: he hopes to grow another 5 or 10 cm - what if he doesn't???......

you are kidding he is 7 ft tall now?? and if he doesnt make the NBA he will have a very promising singing career...

How can you possibly just not sit back and say well done Isaac like the rest of us.

scholarship thread becomes scots thread becomes individuals?? should we reassess maybe??