• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Makes sense that the newbie is parachuted in to the U16's.

The present incumbent played adequately in the NSW Schools tournament, and the nepotism claim could be hard to sustain.

dodgyknee

Allen Oxlade (6)
I said I was going to watch the rugby but the funny thing was I found myself watching soccer. Funny how things turn out sometimes, infact I have changed my mind, I like the gang of 5, and mechanical bull riding is the new GPS sport in 2014 - let's face it we are all Australians aren't we - well done Aagps, headmasters, teachers, students, academics, sport fans - life can be more fun when we see both sides of the story. I think I have finished for good on this thread - happy days

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not claiming it was nepotism

You didn't, but there were plenty of raised eyebrows, nods and winks, and mutterings on the sidelines at the time from many making that claim.

Rep Selections are always a hot bed of gossip and intrigue. It is a tough gig, and Tin Foil Hat wearers (self included) often leap to conclusions.

How much sway over rep selections would the AAGPS Rugby convenor have?

Disclaimer: I have known Shane for a number of years, and he has always struck me as being an extremely fair and honourable person. I would be staggered if he influenced the selection panel in some way to select his boy. The boy didn't set the rugby world on fire, but more than held his own in GPS I to justify his selection on merit.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
How much sway over rep selections would the AAGPS Rugby convenor have?

Disclaimer: I have known Shane for a number of years, and he has always struck me as being an extremely fair and honourable person. I would be staggered if he influenced the selection panel in some way to select his boy.

None is my guess from talking to him and another convenor of a different sport.
He is a tremendous bloke and is smart enough to know that parents leaning on selectors is counter productive in the medium to long term, and very often in the short term.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I have it from an impeccable source that the b'ball ban had its desired effect.
A number of scholarship offers made early in term 4 2013 were pulled late in term 4.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
Only rugby

Actually my friend's son, who was 'promised' a B-ball scholarship/bursary and is extremely talented at B-ball, has had the promise rescinded "for the time being". And yes, it was a real promise, the appropriate forms were sent to the parents, filled out and sent back to the school etc. in Term 4.
So he's still at his old school 'for now'.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Actually my friend's son, who was 'promised' a B-ball scholarship and is extremely talented at B-ball, has had the promise rescinded "for the time being". And yes, it was a real promise, the appropriate forms were sent to the parents, filled out and sent back to the school etc. in Term 4.
So he's still at his old school until things 'change'.

Aha.
Was he the only one at that school?
Did they look at trying to enforce the offer? That was what had me intrigued as some kids had apparently informed their present school they were gone.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Are <insert typical aggressive legal firm> lining up for a Class action for breach of promise??

Now that would be fun to see. :)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
and the problem in NSW is almost solved

We live in hope:)

Actually my friend's son, who was 'promised' a B-ball scholarship/bursary and is extremely talented at B-ball, has had the promise rescinded "for the time being".

This would be one of the bursaries that Scots supporters on this thread have repeatedly assured us don't exist?;)

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
Aha.
Was he the only one at that school?
Did they look at trying to enforce the offer? That was what had me intrigued as some kids had apparently informed their present school they were gone.

I don't know about other boys from his school. School had been told there was an offer made so it was a bit embarrassing and awkward when he ended up staying. Current school is happy to have him still in the A grade team though, bottom line.

The future? Wait and see. The parents are not 'enforcers', no, but would be pleased to give the boy the opportunity that a school such as that could provide. They cannot the fees without the fee-relief, end of story.

Anyone can apply for a bursary at a decent private school - you just have to swallow your pride and give them all your personal financial details.....

However there is a difference between asking a private school for fee relief - and actually being approached and OFFERED a fee-relief. This boy was approached.
Bursary deniers, yeah right.
I know another family with three (3) boys at one GPS school - all on bursary relief. All three. None are rugby players, or B-ball players. Kids are sporty though, and the parents asked.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Stole my thunder vindictam - but here it is in full colour
Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 1.09.47 pm.png

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Last night at the filming of a FOXTEL promotional TV ad, I met a father who's son was offered (and accepted) a sporting scholarship at Newington College. They were originally from St Greg's Campebelltown. He is a large islander boy who will be playing Under 14 rugby this year. He is also related to Leo Afeaki (Brumbies) The father said he wanted his boy to go to Joeys like other family members. He approached the school in 2013 but was told by "Brother" that Joeys do not give sporting scholarships. He was then approached by Newington after his son played in the winning Illawarra team at the NSW championships.
TSC are entitled to get the sh1ts

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Reading Ross Tarlington's letter, it would seem that Dr Lambert has acknowledged the problem (which many of those on this thread have denied) and the appropriate steps are/will be taken.

It seems that NC may have a problem if Vindictam's information is correct.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It would be interesting to see which scholarship/bursary category he received. The King of Tonga Bursaries seem only to apply to residents of Tonga, not residents of Campbelltown.;)

http://insites.newington.nsw.edu.au/scholarships/categories/

While their 13As were undefeated last year, most the matches were close (including the 2 matches against Shore), always hard to tell when boys start in Year 7 as they may well have been booked into the respective school earlier.