• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What is the definition of a League boy?
IMO a "League Boy" is someone who plays League exclusively.

I may be wrong but I got the impression it was to identify those league players who turn up only for rep teams: used to happen a lot in CHS. Wally Lewis may have been one.
There's nothing necessarily derogatory about it just that it differentiates those who fit that bill.
Frankly who knows where we'd be but for them.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I may be wrong but I got the impression it was to identify those league players who turn up only for rep teams: used to happen a lot in CHS. Wally Lewis may have been one.
There's nothing necessarily derogatory about it just that it differentiates those who fit that bill.
Frankly who knows where we'd be but for them.

It seems that the issue of boys playing both League and Union has been around for many decades - and they seem to enjoy it. Geoff Toovey springs immediately mind.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Are sports scholarships prohibited in the CAS Schools like they are in the AAGPS?

No. Some years beack, the heads of the Association of Independent Schools obtained legal advice on the point and were told that such a ban would be an unlawful restraint of trade. So there is no formal ban in the CAS Schools, just a kind of informal uderstanding that boils down to disapproval of "poaching" from other schools and a vague principle that if boys are to be attracted to a school it should be done as early as possible (so parachuting kids into a school in Year 11 or 12 would be frowned upon, although no-one could do anything about it).

It's a wishy-washy position but, on the whole, a rather more honest one than one finds in the Greater Public Schools.

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)
I'm lead to believe that last year scott$ had a total school win/loss ratio in the early 70s?Can someone confirm that?
If that is so then they would be building a successful Rugby program, no.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'm lead to believe that last year scott$ had a total school win/loss ratio in the early 70s?Can someone confirm that?
If that is so then they would be building a successful Rugby program, no.
And they have so much faith in their program that they supplement their organic teams with mercenaries.
Why?
Maybe their recruiting program is more effective than their Rugby program?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No. Some years beack, the heads of the Association of Independent Schools obtained legal advice on the point and were told that such a ban would be an unlawful restraint of trade. So there is no formal ban in the CAS Schools, just a kind of informal uderstanding that boils down to disapproval of "poaching" from other schools and a vague principle that if boys are to be attracted to a school it should be done as early as possible (so parachuting kids into a school in Year 11 or 12 would be frowned upon, although no-one could do anything about it).

It's a wishy-washy position but, on the whole, a rather more honest one than one finds in the Greater Public Schools.

Not only more honest, but probably a more practical arrangement than the AAGPS prohibition.

If there was an easy solution, I am sure that one of the associations would have pioneered it, with others copying.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Why does rugby performance matter to a school to such an extent that it would offer scholarships to shore up any deficiencies in the organic population?

It's a very good question. It makes no sense on any level, but it seems to matter greatly to some.

I wonder how many of the 61 are in the Scots 1st XV. From the team published on the GPS thread, I could name 2.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm lead to believe that last year scott$ had a total school win/loss ratio in the early 70s?

If that figure was correct, it would be 1st team results across sports rather than a whole sport figure. From memory this was the sort of thing which came up during basketballgate.

The results of Saturday's matches at Hunters Hill replicate the same day last year where Scots won 3 matches out of 30.

whistleblower

Bob McCowan (2)
The starting 1st XV for TSC contains 8 imports. ie over half the team, and it is possible to list the positions played by them.
The interesting thing though is to see TSC stack only their 1sts and to let the 2ns and 3rds attrophy. It will really be up to the headmaster of Kings who they play next and the other heads to find some common ground. Should they be limited to 4 imports per team? An honour system would be best but transparency will be required also.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The starting 1st XV for TSC contains 8 imports. ie over half the team, and it is possible to list the positions played by them.
The interesting thing though is to see TSC stack only their 1sts and to let the 2ns and 3rds attrophy.

But if you stack your 1sts, your 2nds and 3rd don't atrophy. What happens is your true firsts team end up playing in the 2nd XV competition and your true 2nd XV end up playing in the 3rd XV competition. Joeys won both of those games on Saturday. Who are the real winners?

BeastieBoy

Herbert Moran (7)
someone told me the Scots firsts won 50 to 7. If that is the case then they are the winners and their boys will get the spots in the rep sides and be on the Rugby Pathway. If results like these continue then Joeys firsts and others may pull out of playing their firsts like Grammar etc. Defacto we will end up with a higher schoolboys comp including some new sides i suspect. I also suspect that this will happen sooner than you think.

Oranges

Frank Nicholson (4)
But if you stack your 1sts, your 2nds and 3rd don't atrophy. What happens is your true firsts team end up playing in the 2nd XV competition and your true 2nd XV end up playing in the 3rd XV competition. Joeys won both of those games on Saturday. Who are the real winners?
It seems that the scots way is that it is better to not show up in your top grades rather than suffer an inevitable loss as shown in the 15a's. Without knowing what %age of their a's was away it seems poor form not to expose your b side to the rigours of the top grade.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Too much time in the hypoxic chamber and not enough running with a Rugby ball for the lower teams?

I think Scots has rugby coaching built into the academic PE program for boys up to year 10, thus allowing them to hire external coaches to work during the working day as well as after school. Many of the elite Year 11 and 12 rugby players have year-round rugby strength and conditioning programs which can be pursued during normal school hours. Especially if a boy is on reduced lessons due to his pathways program!

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
The interesting thing though is to see TSC stack only their 1sts and to let the 2ns and 3rds attrophy. It will really be up to the headmaster of Kings who they play next and the other heads to find some common ground. Should they be limited to 4 imports per team? An honour system would be best but transparency will be required also.
What do you define as "imports"? Is your definition based on when they joined the school, scholarship based or some other basis? If it is based on a boys start date at school, when is a start date considered to be tagged an "import"?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
someone told me the Scots firsts won 50 to 7. If that is the case then they are the winners and their boys will get the spots in the rep sides and be on the Rugby Pathway. If results like these continue then Joeys firsts and others may pull out of playing their firsts like Grammar etc. Defacto we will end up with a higher schoolboys comp including some new sides i suspect. I also suspect that this will happen sooner than you think.

Do not underestimate the inertia and tradition of the AAGPS institution.

They have already demonstrated that they are not afraid to throw one of their number to the wolves to save the concept of the AAGPS games in the basketball.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The rules say no imports, imports being kids recruited for sporting prowess.
The mistake made in b'ball was to recruit the whole team in in 1 go. New in rugby showed how by careful selection you could build a a team in which all but 2 were imports and by the time everyone realized it was too late.
If there are 8 in the TSC 1sts this is not the result of recruiting but of irregularities: and there's no law against them.
Also, and interestingly, all the GPS schools agree that in other than exceptional circumstances "it is poor educational practice for a boy to engage in a single sport throughout the year".
It would appear that some schools don't know the meaning of exceptional and by their own measure engage in poor educational practice.