• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
That
It all started with a sighting by Vindictam of TSC on a game drive at Drummoyne Game Park. Quick Hands jumps in like a startled gazelle questioning who is in charge of the game drive and it begins to gain momentum.
Apparently it was going to be a very long weekend so an impromptu game of “tip” is organised as a sideline distraction to the main game with willing participants putting up their hands for selection.
Quick Hands, Inside Shoulder, It Is What It Is, Former Flanker
Tavytoo, Boof, Gregor, Azzuri
Lincoln and Providence are also there.

Kickoff sees QH take the ball and make good ground before being tackled by Boof. QH gets the ball away to Former Flanker in a smart offload. Boof comes in again and makes a good tackle supported by Tavytoo. The game is flowing well with Lincoln and Providence entering the fray however they appear uncertain as to which side they should play for having turned up after the start of play.

This is of little concern as QH, IS and IIWII are discussing the type and size of the uniform as they run on.
Tavytoo grabs the pill and runs straight at IS who resolutely holds his ground, Providence comes in late and QH gives him a clip up the side of the head. Things are starting to deteriorate.
Tavytoo has broken the tackle of IS and run into QH who manages to hold on. IS gets up to rejoin the defensive line however is knocked over in backplay by Azzuri and Gregor looming in support of Tavytoo.

This causes an all in brawl and the referee with the Huge Arse comes in to break it up and get the players back on the game. There are to be no more late tackles, eye pokes or squirrel gripping or they will be yellow carded.

Boof and Azzuri continue to niggle IS however both teams pause to congratulate Azzuri on the 4,500 post on this thread which is indicative of the time frame of this game. QH likes this.

Score at this stage - Nil All
Best Players – Cannot be determined at this stage.

The Game continues into the evening with the background music of Hotel California.
“You can check out any time you want but you can never leave …..”

That is brilliant

tavytoo

Peter Burge (5)
That

That is brilliant
It all started with a sighting by Vindictam of TSC on a game drive at Drummoyne Game Park. Quick Hands jumps in like a startled gazelle questioning who is in charge of the game drive and it begins to gain momentum.
Apparently it was going to be a very long weekend so an impromptu game of “tip” is organised as a sideline distraction to the main game with willing participants putting up their hands for selection.

Kickoff sees QH take the ball and make good ground before being tackled by Boof. QH gets the ball away to Former Flanker in a smart offload. Boof comes in again and makes a good tackle supported by Tavytoo. The game is flowing well with Lincoln and Providence entering the fray however they appear uncertain as to which side they should play for having turned up after the start of play.

This is of little concern as QH, IS and IIWII are discussing the type and size of the uniform as they run on.
Tavytoo grabs the pill and runs straight at IS who resolutely holds his ground, Providence comes in late and QH gives him a clip up the side of the head. Things are starting to deteriorate.
Tavytoo has broken the tackle of IS and run into QH who manages to hold on. IS gets up to rejoin the defensive line however is knocked over in backplay by Azzuri and Gregor looming in support of Tavytoo.

This causes an all in brawl and the referee with the Huge Arse comes in to break it up and get the players back on the game. There are to be no more late tackles, eye pokes or squirrel gripping or they will be yellow carded.

Boof and Azzuri continue to niggle IS however both teams pause to congratulate Azzuri on the 4,500 post on this thread which is indicative of the time frame of this game. QH likes this.

The Game continues into the evening with the background music of Hotel California.
great commentry on a par with greg clarke. now which players will the selectors pick for the schoolboys squads... or will some miss out like poor little jonny!

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
great commentry on a par with greg clarke. now which players will the selectors pick for the schoolboys squads. or will some miss out like poor little jonny! Cruel slight on little Johnny... He's been a credit to the chess club all these years!!! ...

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If HJ has it within his power to award post of the week/month/year - there is a clear winner.

Prepare your acceptance speech Jasdec:)

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)

Great game report ....

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
WTF, save us the lectures they are getting very boring with the self righteous speeches and diversions away from what was actually said. Bottom line is these schools are a "business" and in business you do not accept your shortcomings you find a way to bolster your team, if you don't like it don't send your kids there, let them fight it out at the local public school. I'm sure you would find more to whinge about there. If boys who are home grown talent as such miss out on selection, this may just be the life lesson that gives them the edge in character when it "really matters". Anyway good luck to all those boys on scholarships or bursaries I hope they take their rugby as far as they can and enjoy the ride along the way.
Seriously why are you so sour on this. I am sure this will upset you IS but such is life I had to get it out.
Dear Boof

Bottom line is..... THEY ARE SCHOOLS!!!!!!

If your quest for world domination cannot be sated by yourself, how about you get your son AN EDUCATION that might assist you on your path.
I am going to let you in on a little secret Boof old son. Is that no one gives a flying fuck the next year that they leave.
Didn't you look up the hill the other day whilst watching SJC v Tsc the other week. you had Ex 1st XV players from the school that were more interested in drinking their way to their own oblivion.
The "Irregularities and anomalies " have been stated and accounted.
Wake up!

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Yes sorry about that IS, not having seen your live game it was a bit presumptuous. I was actually hoping that LG was viewing this so he could see that I was warming up for this weekends round if required.
I noticed that Uncle Lee has definitely moved up in the camera stakes too.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
Readers of this thread may have seen this but I only saw it the other day for the first time.
This is the safest thread for it but it deserves a wider audience.
Excellent reminder of the good things that come from scholarships and bursaries. I know that other school like New and TSC offer indigenous program's as well. If sporting talent can give these kids and other disadvantaged kids the opportunities these schools can provide, isn't it a good thing?

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
Readers of this thread may have seen this but I only saw it the other day for the first time.
This is the safest thread for it but it deserves a wider audience.

After growing up near by Walget in Far Western NSW I can tell you that is a fantastic story, who cares about the politics it is a chance these boys would never have got, top job Father PJ

Think About Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Excellent reminder of the good things that come from scholarships and bursaries. I know that other school like New and TSC offer indigenous program's as well. If sporting talent can give these kids and other disadvantaged kids the opportunities these schools can provide, isn't it a good thing?

This program is not aimed at kids with sporting talent. It is mischievous to suggest that. If you watch the story again you will hear it is aimed at giving kids a chance. Yes they do screen for indicators of success but this is a much wider than rugby. Joeys should be applauded for doing something positive. Don't mix it in with the school sport scholarship debate. That is not fair to to the program nor all the people involved.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
Sorry TAR, I probably wasn't very clear in my statement. It wasn't my intention to argue that it was part of the sport scholarship debate. I was just trying to point out that possible indicators of success should not necessarily exclude sport talent. I am a unconditional supporter of such programs and fully agree that the indicators of success should be much wider than sport. However, I don't want to see kids excluded from such programs, because of a fear that by giving a kid a scholarship or bursary that happens to be a talented sportsman, it would somehow be interpreted as a breach of the Code of Conduct. I don't want to see such programs undermined in anyway by such a debate or criticism of a school. Such an interpretation of the Code of Conduct should not even be a factor in the decision making of the good people involved in such programs.

tavytoo

Peter Burge (5)
Sorry TAR, I probably wasn't very clear in my statement. It wasn't my intention to argue that it was part of the sport scholarship debate. I was just trying to point out that possible indicators of success should not necessarily exclude sport talent. I am a unconditional supporter of such programs and fully agree that the indicators of success should be much wider than sport. However, I don't want to see kids excluded from such programs, because of a fear that by giving a kid a scholarship or bursary that happens to be a talented sportsman, it would somehow be interpreted as a breach of the Code of Conduct. I don't want to see such programs undermined in anyway by such a debate or criticism of a school. Such an interpretation of the Code of Conduct should not even be a factor in the decision making of the good people involved in such programs.

sadly some in this forum only see such boys being "parachuted in ' for sporting talent when in fact these students bring so many other values from their heritage whether koori, maori or polynesian to these schools they now attend. positive mentoring and the schools' attitude that "all have potential in all curriculum areas" is what matters to these boys and their proud families. scots and cranbrook also have strong feeder schemes from country areas for these students

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yeah,plenty of Koori,Maori and Polynesian boys on the Northern Beaches bus to Scots everyday!
No one has criticised the Joeys program at all.
But if we are to compare programs,two Schools in particular have recruitment practices that are more suited to the NCAA than the GPS .

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The issue with possible breaches of the Code of Conduct or irregularities may be avoided if the Scholarships or Bursaries were openly advertised on the web sites, and in the school literature, along with the application criteria.

A problem with this approach, and publishing who has been awarded scholarships, is that there can be stigma attached to being a scholarship kid, and this can lead to bullying in extreme situations.

As hard as it is to fathom, some genuinely musically or academically talented lads are also reasonable athletes.

I have yet to hear the rather facile argument that Little Oliver is upset because the next Nigel Kennedy has been parachuted into the school orchestra on musical scholarship in Year 10 to take Oliver's place as Lead Violinist, yet there is still a sense that a similar argument can be applied to the rugby situation.

The issue with the Y10+ parachutists is the collateral damage that occurs to the rugby programme at the school (or school association) that loses the parachutist. Similar occurs in the Junior Village Club environment when "super teams" are formed.

Not sure what the solution to this is, but you can't really hold the parents or the parachutist responsible who have simply taken advantage of a good offer. It is not their job to develop rugby in the CHS or CCC system. With their current well documented financial issues, ARU are not really in a position to do too much to develop and expand Rugby in the CCC, AICES and CHS school systems.

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
I'm now in a position in the junior rugby journey where I'm seeing some of the boys return to rugby clubs and can catch up with them and their parents. The reports are all very positive from both boys and parents (I also know a boy who didn't accept an irregularity, he didn't think it would suit him).

I think that the debate about the particular effects of these irregularities on the boys and their contemporaries misses the broader issue, and that is the damage to Australian rugby.

I was listening to Wendy Harmer on radio recently and she was going through the football codes ridiculing each (I thought all codes got equal shit put on them). When she got to Rugby it was a game played by "inbreed private school boys" where did the inbreed come from?

The problem is that rugby is perceived to be a game played by a handful of privates schools, run by private school old boys for the benefit of private schools. AND that if you haven't been offered an irregularity by 15 forget rugby and play one of the other codes, and they do.

This characterisation of rugby in Australia is extremely unfair. The current schools comp. is and will only reinforce the perception (the private schools want to reinforce the perception). And the irregularities further reinforce the perception.

The privates schools are not going to stop it is how they market themselves, SGS markets to a different market (i.e. we're not one of them).

The only way out that I can see is for the ARU to create an alternative that is competitive, through the JGC. e.g. State U18 and National U18 teams that can be competitive with Australian schools (which would then become Australian Private school boys, CHS and CCC are never going to undertake rugby development like GPS and CAS).

I find the current debate focussed on the individual benefits to the boys misses the bigger issue, and frankly the debate will never go anywhere whilst it remains down in the weed. Soccer addressed its' structural problems years ago and has now overtaken rugby in Australia, so has league and AFL, we need to do the same.