• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

ON85

Well IS, the progression of the scholarship holder is something we haven't much covered, but it's an important one. If the scholarship holder does not perform to the standard expected/required, what outcomes follow? As an OB and only likely to rely on anecdotal evidence until my eldest starts at New I can't really say, but my source is not apt to exagerate. It's a much bigger issue that not making a sporting team. I can't say that it happened in my day, but then again I was oblivious to most things not thrust directly in my face 25 years ago :)

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well IS, the progression of the scholarship holder is something we haven't much covered, but it's an important one. If the scholarship holder does not perform to the standard expected/required, what outcomes follow? As an OB and only likely to rely on anecdotal evidence until my eldest starts at New I can't really say, but my source is not apt to exagerate. It's a much bigger issue that not making a sporting team. I can't say that it happened in my day, but then again I was oblivious to most things not thrust directly in my face 25 years ago :)

Perhaps the greatest catalyst for angst amongst those who feel that their son has been deprived of their rightful position in a team is where the scholarship holder is clearly inferior to their son or another player yet maintains their position....not a good look for those who select the scholarship holder if their selection is playing in the seconds or a B team!!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
academic scholarships are subject to satisfactory performance.
I think it's fair to say that in most cases a lot more is known about a 12 year olds likely academic performance at 18 than about his likely sporting performance at 18 so it might be unfair to judge them on that basis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

O

ON85

So I wonder at what point the scholarship is threatened? My belief was that academic and co curricular performances were reviewed yearly? I take your point, but smart kids can fall off the rails just as easily

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
I think ON85's point is that the New Allrounders should theoretically excell both academically and in their other pursuits, be it music, sport, drama, debating etc. I understand there may have been instances where the scholarships have been revoked because of narrow contribution.

O

ON85

I dont personally know of any that have been revoked, but I'd like to know how they are managed, if at all. Whether it's Rugby, Swimming, All Rounders or Oboe, I assume that boys have to maintain a certain standard and that reviews of performance might feature yearly/by semester. It's a reasonable question for a parent to ask, particularly if you're just about to start shelling out $25k a year. Albeit from a distance, I watched a much feted Rugby scholarship holder at New spinning around in the 16's when he should have spent the entire season in 1's or 2's. Where is the benefit from that investment?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
at the risk of re-opening old wounds: whats the return on investment if he plays in the 1s or 2s?
given the funds we could all pick better 1st XV teams for every school than they field even in years when they win all their games - we must all know that these teams are not and have never been the best teams anyone could put together.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Is ON85 an informant for Stratfor as well?

The school scholarship version of CN65....

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Please be aware that the eyes that matter here has displayed normal schoolboy attitude for making things up and just making a nonsense of these forums. His comments should be taken with a huge pinch of salt.
Interesting - surely its a pretty lame rumour if it names 3 schools with 2 religions......some would say 3 religions

A

AnthonyMark

Actually all the countrys need to give the sports scolarship and that should be must start to the school.
Also the college , university, also another organization .that will be help the sports.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
High have a large rugby scholarships program starting. They aim to build up to equal their past rugby success and match the current success if their basketball program. Should be interesting.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
High have a large rugby scholarships program starting. They aim to build up to equal their past rugby success and match the current success if their basketball program. Should be interesting.

really? Thats very interesting. Where did you get this info from?

O

ON85

I'm actually saddened to learn that New seem to have lost all sense of balance with their scholarship programme. It's one thing to plan and manage the improvement of traditionally weak sport, but to throw money about like a drunken philanthropist is very disappointing. I'm not going to repeat the details of what I've been told for obvious reasons, but as an OB, I've quite a bitter taste in the mouth at the minute. Does nothing but soil the reputation of a really great school :(

O

ON85

must be bad - you've defended stoutly until now

Yeah well, reality is sometimes an unpleasant experience. Strategically identifying key positions and trying to align those with opportunities for genuine candidates is one thing, but whats going on now is unnacceptable. I note with some interest that a scholarship holder who's signed with an NRL club, has just
injured himself playing an RL trial and is out for the season. Brilliant management New

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yeah well, reality is sometimes an unpleasant experience. Strategically identifying key positions and trying to align those with opportunities for genuine candidates is one thing, but whats going on now is unnacceptable. I note with some interest that a scholarship holder who's signed with an NRL club, has just
injured himself playing an RL trial and is out for the season. Brilliant management New

You should've listened to we the doubters and cynics

Status
Not open for further replies.