• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scotland v Australia 12Nov16 Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)
A lot to be said about combinations.
If Genia starts, Cooper should be fly half.
If Foley starts, Phipps is your scummy.

Perennial argument #7. But I agree. It isn't really anything to do with entrenched combinations, but the timing of play. Genia's more tactical game suits Quade's more architectural approach. Foley needs fast ball delivered in front of him to operate successfully. Neither is "better", but they're obviously different.

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)
Huh? It was absolutely from the side, the amount of force was certainly not limited, but even so, this is completely immaterial and on second viewing, the initial impact was Gray's shoulder and skeletons upper arm collides with Grays head. But sure, you're not defending him.

That is a yellow card every time. I am gobsmacked that you could take a contrary view.

Yeah, a big yellow. The personal vitriol served up to Skelton online is despicable, but that was a stupid yellow, and it deserves dropping for the foreseeable future.

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
Hindsight is always twenty-twenty but I think an argument could be made that Cooper would have been a better flyhalf for this game. I think his skills at organising the backline and managing a game in general play (not off the back of set piece moves) are better than Foley's and there were quite a few times where we just looked disorganised and messy in attack.
Can't fault Bernie's place kicking today though, wouldn't have won that game without it.

deL

Stan Wickham (3)
It was a pretty good try
almost muffed by holding on to the ball as usual with an unmarked folau a metre to his right! It was good to watch but it didn't give me confidence in TK or cement his place in the team in my eyes, but maybe a daytime viewing will convince me otherwise.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Interesting, Cheika wondering why Kuridrani didn't use Folau outside him in that try. I thought Folau was running a bad support line. Which is highly unusual for Folau, who I think has a very good footy brain.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
A win is a win but that game was frustrating on so many levels.

The Scots found too many easy metres out wide. If we had lost that game, the amount of dropped ball from attempted miracle offloads would have been one of the main issues.

Our scrum was good and should have had that last penalty instead of Scotland going 19 phases and nearly pulling off the win.

Major Spliff Biggins

Fred Wood (13)
almost muffed by holding on to the ball as usual with an unmarked folau a metre to his right! It was good to watch but it didn't give me confidence in TK or cement his place in the team in my eyes, but maybe a daytime viewing will convince me otherwise.
Cheika said the same! I just wanted to make the point that it was no cake walk. We struggled to get over the gain line tonight

Major Spliff Biggins

Fred Wood (13)
Hindsight is always twenty-twenty but I think an argument could be made that Cooper would have been a better flyhalf for this game. I think his skills at organising the backline and managing a game in general play (not off the back of set piece moves) are better than Foley's and there were quite a few times where we just looked disorganised and messy in attack.
Can't fault Bernie's place kicking today though, wouldn't have won that game without it.
I would fear his propensity to drop back and sacrifice metres due to the rush defence.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
A lot to be said about combinations.
If Genia starts, Cooper should be fly half.
If Foley starts, Phipps is your scummy.

I agree. I didn't think Genia had the best game so I'd be tempted to go Phipps / Foley for next week, BUT I do think Cooper would've suited tonights game more so I'm just as happy to see Genia / Cooper. Infact, I almost wouldn't mind seeing what they've got / to give them some solid game time as a combo as we need to maintain that depth. Personally I'm also not too fussed about a Grand Slam - I'd rather see combos tested, depth built (utilising player rotation - its a long tour) and a real emphasis on development over winning.

For that reason I also wouldn't mind seeing Fardy / 7 (pick one) / Timani being reinstated for a game as a more traditional backrow.

As for that game, it wasn't the prettiest but hopefully we're developing some of whatever it is the All Blacks have been using to steal games at the death for the last 10 or so years.

Whilst we didn't play well and we weren't ahead until the very end, we found a way to win and that is a necessary characteristic of a great team. I think we should therefore commend ourselves on that (whilst also acknowledging the dross we served up for a lot of the game and working on that throughout the week).

Coleman was a big loss.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I couldn't see the first half. What happened with Coleman?

Fell awkwardly in a tackle / in contact with several players and someone landed upon his knee.

Didn't look great and I don't expect him to play next week.

Major Spliff Biggins

Fred Wood (13)
A win is a win but that game was frustrating on so many levels.

The Scots found too many easy metres out wide. If we had lost that game, the amount of dropped ball from attempted miracle offloads would have been one of the main issues.

Our scrum was good and should have had that last penalty instead of Scotland going 19 phases and nearly pulling off the win.
Yep. That free kick was nonsense

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I thought Foley did his job today. Pushed a couple of passes, but did well against rush defence, including the winning pass to TK. Not sure QC (Quade Cooper) would have been a better fit in this match.

Completely agree. I thought Foley was good tonight. Kicking his goals certainly helps. I can't think of anything that Quade would've added that Foley didn't.

Folau was frustrating tonight. The Hail Mary offloads have to stop. Sure look for an offload but if it's not on, take the ball into contact so we can reload and go again. Twice in excellent attacking positions he just threw it away. Better judgement needed.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Jesus i said all this about combinatioms being useful before the game and got shot down by like 5 different people

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The post-match analysis on Beinsports is so much better than Fox.

Just went through all the pushed passes that frustrated the shit out of me during the match.

Bring on the French and hopefully massive improvement. Otherwise the last 2 weeks of the tour will be tough to watch.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.