• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scotland v Australia, Murrayfield, 5am 24 Nov 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Hell of a responsibility for a young guy who has never played the most defensively difficult position consistently for his provincial side in his run on test debut.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I wouldn't be taking Scotland lightly. My bet is the weather is appalling

Haven't seen any wales threads but worth noting we played much better this weekend. Newbies are getting the hang of gatlandball

Just watched springboks. Changed my mind. Pick your seconds

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Ive suggested resting Moore and Hooper but I think TPN and Gill are very strong replacements, arguably better on their day.

I'd also like to see the front row run on side and bench reversed this week against Scotland. Nothing to lose

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
I wouldn't be taking Scotland lightly. My bet is the weather is appalling

Haven't seen any wales threads but worth noting we played much better this weekend. Newbies are getting the hang of gatlandball

Just watched springboks. Changed my mind. Pick your seconds

aw man, deliberately not reading anything about the sa/scotland game for the replay later and that plan is scotched (geddit) in the first few minutes!

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hell of a responsibility for a young guy who has never played the most defensively difficult position consistently for his provincial side in his run on test debut.

Actually, CFS is a 13, not a wing, and has indeed played at 13 for the Reds. CFS played most of his junior career as a 13. He's just being groomed on the wing before what should be a switch to 13.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is healthy he should play 13 and we can start Tomane and Cummins on the wings and CFS can come onto the bench (or Foley could come back into the 23).

If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is out I'd definitely like to see CFS in the 13 jersey.

Reactions: Ash

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Why don't we just ask the guys who just comprehensively beat Ireland whether they want to be rested. ???
Gets a bit repetitive reading about how Gill should be in for Hooper when Hooper repeatedly gets MOTM honours. Gill's good but Hoopers earned that starting spot.
Quaide finally back to form and we rest him and completely rearrange the backline...why? ..They've only really played a handful of games together.
Lets go back to the glory days...did we rest Farr Jones,Lynagh,Horan Little? Did we play Campo at 13?..........
"Poido you look tired have a break!!" imagine being the coach who said that to him!!! :)
We have been searching for combinations for 5 years probably longer. We now have a chance to cement a backline into RWC 2015 let the guys who have done the hard yards to CEMENT a spot, keep it.
If they put on 25 ish on the Scots in the first half THEN give them a break.
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) looks very doubtful...he doesnt leave the field unless he feels he is disadvantaging the team but he does have great recovery powers so maybe he'll be there at 13 with Tomane on the wing.
I'll be amazed if Link changes much. As someone said 2 games to go then rest and as anyone in the team will tell you this week...."who are Wales?"

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
I think if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is healthy he should play 13 and we can start Tomane and Cummins on the wings and CFS can come onto the bench (or Foley could come back into the 23).

If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is out I'd definitely like to see CFS in the 13 jersey.
completely agree simple and 100% correct..

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Saraby, none of those vintage Wallabies played anywhere near the amount of top level footy that these guys are asked to slog through year in and year out. The rest wouldn't be for posterity, it would be so we don't run the risk of losing any more players to knee and shoulder recons before the aforementioned RWC.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
You didn't play 15 Tests in a year. Not even close. Try again.
Sorry not trying to dig at you........ just trying to get the fact across that we are way too inexperienced as a team to be resting combinations (not players.)
.maybe you could rest Moore due to the nature of his possie but you ask him first. Everyone agrees he just had a great game and he knows his main threat is TPN so is it fair to tell him to rest if he doesnt want to?

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s injury looked collision based but one does wonder if he might've pulled up better if he was able to rest his body a little bit. The Wallabies have been reasonably lucky with injuries this year (from Test rugby, not Super Rugby) and I wouldn't be testing the waters further.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Is Sautia ready to step up at 13?

I wouldn't go resting players this week. Maybe Hooper and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) because they have had a lot of game time and we have pretty decent backups but I couldn't think of any other obvious choices.

As long as Moore starts and Alexander isn't in the 23 I'll be happy.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think none of our players would want to be rested and those that are playing well shouldn't be asked to be rested.

Comparing our situation to New Zealand's is totally different. They've got easily the best side in the world and some of their best players who are absolute walk up starters have requested time off from rugby in recent times to try and ensure they make it to the 2015 RWC.

I don't think any of our players are in a position to do that nor would they want to.

We don't have any players who are both near the end of their careers and completely assured of their positions that they can take considerable amounts of time off.

These players have two games to go for the year and I can guarantee you that they're all hoping to play both of them.

If you asked Stephen Moore if he wanted to take the Scotland game off so he was fresher for the Wales game I'm sure he'd tell you that his ideal preparation for playing Wales in two weeks time is to play Scotland next weekend.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is the obvious choice to go back to outside centre, unless he's not fit. If that turns out to be the case then CFS should be the choice and Tomane on the wing. I'm not in favour of massive reshuffles of a back line unless there is a definite need.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not sure on resting players for this game. We are starting to get some combinations and string some decent performances back to back. Ringing the chances for this game would make me a little nervous. The odd player could be rested or move to the bench, but I'd be inclined to keep most of the team together.

I think we can safely assume that Kuridrani has unfortunately played his last game for the year.

I was wondering if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) just got a bad stinger at the time. Hopefully he's got nothing serious, and if he's fit then he'll definitely be at 13. Otherwise, I'd put CFS there. Either way I think we'll see Cummins and Tomane on the wing vs Scotland. I would prefer not to move Cummins especially after his last two games at left wing. Cummins also hasn't played 13 in a few years.

If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is fit to play, then either CFS or Foley will be on the bench. If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is dicey I'd take CFS as backup, otherwise if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is fine, then I'd take Foley.

If we lose AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and TK and cop another injury then we suddenly start looking rather short on outside backs.

One thing I'd like to see less of is kicking the ball straight back from our 40m to half way. We are just gifting them the ball back from alright field position. Some of our kicks were pretty aimless from there, too. Our players need to work harder to get behind the ball to either give some options, or help retain the ball. One of my few criticisms of Folau is his tendency to kick the ball back when he should run or pass from decent field position - hopefully someone has a word in his ear.

Status
Not open for further replies.