• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scotland v Australia - Sunday 26 November 1:30am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
with increased size has also come increased acceleration, speed and agility through improved S&C programs, I don't know whether the game has become more defence orientated, it seems to ebb and flow in that regard.. But certainly its become more calculated and precise in execution

The two best teams in the world also happen to have the two best defence and kicking games. They also pretty much exclusively score from turnover ball.

T

TOCC

The last statical report which examined the subject was the 2015 RWC, yes its 2 years ago but trends haven't evolved that greatly. Statistically New Zealand scored 69% of their tries from the set-piece(51% from line outs & 17% from scrums). Turnover accounted for only 7% of New Zealand's tries. This trend was reflect across all teams. Surprisingly South Africa accounted for the highest number of tries from turnovers which was still only 23% of their overall tally. Stastically, Namibia had the highest percentage of tries from turnovers at 50%(4/8).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah but how many of those set piece plays followed a turnover? theres plenty of ways to pick apart statistics.

Anyway, real talk. Is the persist selection of Hanigan more or less annoying that the persistent selection of Marsh?

T

TOCC

Yeah but how many of those set piece plays followed a turnover? theres plenty of ways to pick apart statistics.

a try from a turnover is one in which the teams scores in the phases directly following the turnover.. If there is a break in play, through a set piece in between the try and the turnover, then the try is rightfully attributed to the set piece as it gives the teams time to reset their attack and defensive alignment.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The last statical report which examined the subject was the 2015 RWC, yes its 2 years ago but trends haven't evolved that greatly. Statistically New Zealand scored 69% of their tries from the set-piece(51% from line outs & 17% from scrums). Turnover accounted for only 7% of New Zealand's tries. This trend was reflect across all teams. Surprisingly South Africa accounted for the highest number of tries from turnovers which was still only 23% of their overall tally. Stastically, Namibia had the highest percentage of tries from turnovers at 50%(4/8).

Now that is interesting, and I have to say completely contrary to my expectations. If not outright scoring, is there info on distance gained from turn over?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Anyway, real talk. Is the persist selection of Hanigan more or less annoying that the persistent selection of Marsh?

I don't know, but such a ridiculous question in a match thread is annoying. FFS.

T

TOCC

Now that is interesting, and I have to say completely contrary to my expectations. If not outright scoring, is there info on distance gained from turn over?

Not specifically, but it goes into detail about where the tries were scored from.. as you would expect New Zealand scores quite a number of tries from their own half, as did Argentina. Wallabies scored most of their tries from within 22m of the tryline.

Just google RWC statistical breakdown, or words to those effect and there is a PDF document with all the stats.

Reactions: dru

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

Did you think about this before you posted? Almost all set pieces are the result of a turn over.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Did you think about this before you posted? Almost all set pieces are the result of a turn over.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Yes, obviously. My original point was that the vast majority of their points are scored from turnovers. Cheers though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So, 69% of points come from set piece, the vast majority of which are turn-overs. And yet the majority of points aren't scored from turn-overs? Go figure. I guess if you want to be strict about the definition of points from a turn-over without a break in play then fine.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So, 69% of points come from set piece, the vast majority of which are turn-overs. And yet the majority of points aren't scored from turn-overs? Go figure. I guess if you want to be strict about the definition of points from a turn-over without a break in play then fine.

that's like saying 100% of points come from kicks because they start a game with a kick off.

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
Boy that is an inexperienced front row for the scots.

1. Darryl Marfo (Edinburgh Rugby) - 2 caps

2. Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby) - 11 caps

3. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh Rugby) - 4 caps

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Scotland team to play Australia at BT Murrayfield
Saturday 25 November (kick-off 2.30pm) – live on BBC / BT Sport

15. Stuart Hogg VICE CAPTAIN (Glasgow Warriors) - 55 caps

14. Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors) - 38 caps
13. Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) - 10 caps
12. Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors) - 28 caps
11. Sean Maitland (Saracens) - 28 caps

10. Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors) - 31 caps
9. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) - 10 caps

1. Darryl Marfo (Edinburgh Rugby) - 2 caps
2. Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby) - 11 caps
3. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh Rugby) - 4 caps
4. Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby) - 17 caps
5. Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors) - 37 caps
6. John Barclay CAPTAIN (Scarlets) - 65 caps
7. Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Rugby) - 14 caps
8. Ryan Wilson VICE CAPTAIN (Glasgow Warriors) - 31 caps

Substitutes:

16. Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors) - 28 caps
17. Jamie Bhatti (Glasgow Warriors) - 2 caps
18. Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) - 14 caps
19. Ben Toolis (Edinburgh Rugby) - 6 caps
20. Cornell du Preez (Edinburgh Rugby) - 4 caps
21. Henry Pyrgos (Glasgow Warriors) - 26 caps
22. Pete Horne (Glasgow Warriors) - 27 caps
23. Byron McGuigan (Sale Sharks) - 1 cap

T

TOCC

This is a little tedious.. So now that we know 69% of points comes from the set piece, what does this actually have to do with your original point? You said the two best teams almost exclusively score off turnover ball, well based on your loose definition it would appear every team scores almost exclusively off turnover ball. Im confused as to what your trying to prove?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
This is a little tedious.. So now that we know 69% of points comes from the set piece, what does this actually have to do with your original point? You said the two best teams almost exclusively score off turnover ball, well based on your loose definition it would appear every team scores almost exclusively off turnover ball. Im confused as to what your trying to prove?

Nothing i don't know or remember and i deleted my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.