• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scrum Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
French props are not required to do much else, the general standard of top 14 play is pretty slow and ponderous

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Not really. It depends on the weather and ground conditions. Some are props there are slow and ponderous, but it's a sweeping generalisation to say they aren't required to do much else.

I've seen plenty of contributions like this;)

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
And what about Bismarck du Plessis? He isn't fat.

True, but he's not playing in the Top 14. We were talking about French props. (Granted, Mujati is from Zimbabwe, but he's been working on cutting fat since going to Racing Metro.)

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Cavalry incoming. Who is this mystery man?

Wallabies coach Michael Cheika poised to recruit scrum guru
Fairfax: December 24 2014​
BIG PLANS: Wallabies coach Michael Cheika is reportedly close to signing an expert scrum coach in the hope of solving Australia's set-piece woes ahead of the World Cup.​
. . . Cheika flagged an overhaul of Australia's scrum after it was dismantled - once again - by England . . . Tired of watching the Wallabies pack being pushed and shoved around, Cheika said technical and strategic changes were essential for Australia to compete with pool rivals England and Wales at next year's global showpiece in Britain.​
Sources close to Cheika say he is poised to add a big-name "been there, done that" scrum technician to his coaching unit. Understood to have already held advanced discussions, Cheika was tightlipped when asked about the speculation, saying only that he hoped to finalise his entire coaching team in early January . . .​

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Guess who.jpg

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Whoever it is, I hope he can teach Benny A and Benn R the tricks of front row play, and big Will Skelton how to pack and push in the second row. If he can't, I hope he has the balls to say to Cheika that those who don't come up to scratch need to be dropped.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
& replaced by whom?

Are you asking who would replace the scrum coach if he disagrees with Cheika?

AS far as the players are concerned, it really depends who's fit. Sio would take Robbo's spot. Weeks and PAE (at least for 2015) would be options at THP but Ben A wasn't too bad in the last couple of tests on the EOYT. IIRC he didn't collapse in any scrum nor did he give away a penalty in the scrum when he was on against England.

If Skelton can't pack a scrum, any of Horwill. Carter, Neville, Pyle, Coleman or Arnold would be better than him.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Are you asking who would replace the scrum coach if he disagrees with Cheika?

AS far as the players are concerned, it really depends who's fit. Sio would take Robbo's spot. Weeks and PAE (at least for 2015) would be options at THP but Ben A wasn't too bad in the last couple of tests on the EOYT. IIRC he didn't collapse in any scrum nor did he give away a penalty in the scrum when he was on against England.

If Skelton can't pack a scrum, any of Horwill. Carter, Neville, Pyle, Coleman or Arnold would be better than him.

Pyle is playing for Grenoble in the Top 14 so I assume he's out of contention for Wallabies 2015.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I doubt it, he's the current head coach of Bayonne.

He was the scrum coach for the most part of the Deans era, was the scrum that great then too?

No, he was initially but let go in 2010 after our scrum was abused by the English pack*.

In 2008-2009 though, he made huge progress. That was the early Benn Robinson-smashing-England, our scrum destroying everyone bar NZ in 2009. The games against the Boks that we picked up their front row and drove it back over the 2nd row, smashed the Welsh in a big way etc.

*The 2010 season was the Slipper-Fainga'a-Ma'afood, but Slipper and Fainga'a were all total rookies.

Status
Not open for further replies.