• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scrum Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
They flocked to those games. My school chums and I got to the queue the night before; some folks got there mid-week. It wasn't much different for the Canterbury game.

When I got to Auckland I watched the ABs train on the Thursday. In those days of over-the-top amateur rugby touring teams had a big advantage because the home team wasn't allowed to convene until the Thursday before the match.

I've told this story before - but I got to the queue which was hundreds of yards long about 8am and after waiting a while I asked the people next to me to save my spot because I wanted to stretch my legs.

I walked towards the front of the queue yarning to a few people on the way. The gates weren't supposed to open for hours but for some reason they must have reckoned the crowd was going to be so big they would open them earlier.

It caught everybody by surprise. I was walking along and the gates opened and everybody started getting their stuff together to go in and I hardly even broke step as I walked through them towards the ticket booth. I was one of the first hundred people to get in and I camped on the halfway line at Eden Park.

I was a teenager and it was then I realised that I was going to be a bad man—I should have gone back.

If only some professional teams could display the same tactical nous as the teenage LG:)

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
When was the last "decent" toe to toe good old fashioned Marquis of Queensbury's rules fisticuffs fight in a top level rugby game? I can't remember one. It is all about a bit of pushing, shoving, posturing, evil looks and delivering some nasty swear words nowadays.

Simon Poidevin answered this question during the Fox sports coverage of the Grand Slam Wallabies' luncheon - the introduction of the TMO (and therefore citing procedures).

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
How would Anthony Mundine go in the front row?
He's more of a volume boxer, not a heavy puncher. Of his 27 KO's, 20 of them are TKO's. The majority of those KO's/TKO's came earlier in his career, and later in the rounds, after he's weakened the guy with a volume of shots. (Power is the last thing to go, so if he were a heavy hitter, he'd still be getting those KO's/TKO's later in his career.)

But he has a mouth, so scrum half?

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Can someone advise me on PAE's background, and where he's playing at the moment please.
Oh, and what the initials stand for:)

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Paul Alo-Emile. He's at the Rebels but seems to have signed a contract to go to France. As to whether that's for the off-season or permanently, I'm not sure.

He's from Brissie, I believe and was Australian U20s a few years back. Very good scrummager. I'm guessing his work around the park is what has kept him on the Super Rugby benches for a while.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
PAE's had a bunch of Puppy fat that he's finally shed, more or less. His carries around the ground have been stronger and more frequent this past season, but given he's off to France, and Weeks is signed for the next three seasons, the likelihood is that the latter will retain the starting spot.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
PAE's had a bunch of Puppy fat that he's finally shed, more or less. His carries around the ground have been stronger and more frequent this past season, but given he's off to France, and Weeks is signed for the next three seasons, the likelihood is that the latter will retain the starting spot.

I took a lot of notice of him during the NRC. I certainly though his work rate was pretty good at that level.

dozza

Bob McCowan (2)
Mario Ledesma the former forwards coach for montpellier is available as he was fired a couple weeks ago. Could be worth looking at him to replace andrew blades. Montpellier generally have one of the better scrums in the top 14 so could be a very good punt.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Paul Alo-Emile. He's at the Rebels but seems to have signed a contract to go to France. As to whether that's for the off-season or permanently, I'm not sure.

He's from Brissie, I believe and was Australian U20s a few years back. Very good scrummager. I'm guessing his work around the park is what has kept him on the Super Rugby benches for a while.

He's one of the few schoolboy tighthead props I was fairly certain would make a good professional player. I haven't thought that about anyone since, though Allan A came closest.

It's a pity he decided to go overseas but it is what it is.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Mario Ledesma the former forwards coach for montpellier is available as he was fired a couple weeks ago. Could be worth looking at him to replace andrew blades. Montpellier generally have one of the better scrums in the top 14 so could be a very good punt.
Why did he get fired?

dozza

Bob McCowan (2)
te="Strewthcobber, post: 700398, member: 21185"]Why did he get fired?[/quote]
My bad, he actually resigned, montpellier have had a few injuries in the last 2 months and the results suffered because of it. Guess he felt the pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.