• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Semi Final - Brumbies vs Jaguares, Sat 29 June, 9:05 am (AEST)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
You need an alarm to get up at 9 o’clock on a Saturday?

Reminds me of a Billy Joel song haha

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
We shouldn't pick any Brumbies for the test against Argentina, just so we can compare Brumbies v Argentina with Rest-of-Australia v Argentina.

They'd get rinsed without us.

Actually, what would a XV look like without a single Brumby?

Kepu
Uelese
Thor
Rodda
Simmons
Jones/Dempsey
Hooper
Naisirani

Genia
Foley
Koirobete
Kerevi
?
Maddocks
Beale

?

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Gee the gap between our best hooker and the rest is off the charts. Fainga'a is probably the most valuable player in the team.

As for the non-Brumbies experiment, the team looks extremely dire, particularly in the tight 5. Playing guys on the wrong side of the scrum like that is probably the only option to avoid complete capitulation up front. Rebels locks, 6 and 8 with Hooper 7 is passable. Genia, Foley, Koroibete is probably what the team will be anyway. Almost be tempted to push Kerevi to outside and play To'omua inside. Maddocks and Beale will do. White, Cooper, DHP pick themselves on the bench. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) in the forwards - I can't fathom for the life of me who the other 4 would be.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
They'd get rinsed without us.

Actually, what would a XV look like without a single Brumby?

Kepu
Uelese
Thor
Rodda
Simmons
Jones/Dempsey
Hooper
Naisirani

Genia
Foley
Koirobete
Kerevi
?
Maddocks
Beale

?

Tom Roberts
Alex Mafi
Taniela Tupou
Izack Rodda
Lukhan Salakai-Loto
Luke Jones
Michael Hooper
Isi Naisirani
Will Genia
Benard Foley
Marika Koroibete
Samu Kerevi
Reece Hodge
Dane Haylett-Petty
Kurtley Beale

Jordan Uelese
JP Smith
Ruan Smith
Matt Philip
Scott Higginbotham
Tate McDermott
Quade Cooper
Chris Feauai-Sautia

Nah, they'd be fine.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We only have four teams. If you remove all the players from the best of those teams it would be far more surprising if the potential Wallaby side didn't look a lot weaker than the potential side from all the teams.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
No-one honestly believes the Jaguares and Brumbies are among the best four teams in the competition, yet one of them is going to make the final or, heaven forbid, maybe even go on to be crowned champions.

Admirable sides, sure, and hard to beat at home, but the Brumbies and Jaguares are not elite. The Jaguares are very good defensively and the Brumbies boast an enviable rolling maul, but too much of their continued participation in the competition is owed to geography and weak conference compatriots.

Teams such as the Chiefs and Highlanders are going to be judged on quarterfinal exits, which some analysts will say is disappointing. Maybe so. But the outcome of their respective seasons has to be measured against the advantages the conference system affords these other sides.
Source: https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/sport/392885/super-rugby-quarter-finals-breakdown

I want to reiterate that the Brumbies won half their games against teams in other conferences, and saying that they played the Sunwolves twice doesn't change the fact that the Cheifs lost to the Sunwolves, haha.

I'll admit that I think it would be a long-shot for us to come back from Argentina to beat the Crusaders in Christchurch, and it must suck for Canes fans to know that they won the most games in the competition (hurr durr NZ conference too easy) but that they rank 4th in the table because of the conference system, but what a joke to just shittalk the Brumbies and the Jags.

They're two of the three non-NZ teams (along with the Lions) to not have a losing record against NZ teams in the regular season. On top of this, do you think any Jags fans care that they lost to the Chiefs in the regular season when they beat them so well in a QF?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's quite a pissy bout of sourness from Hamish there, considering the Jaguares and the Brumbies both finished in the top four on points alone..........

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Source: https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/sport/392885/super-rugby-quarter-finals-breakdown

I want to reiterate that the Brumbies won half their games against teams in other conferences, and saying that they played the Sunwolves twice doesn't change the fact that the Cheifs lost to the Sunwolves, haha.

I'll admit that I think it would be a long-shot for us to come back from Argentina to beat the Crusaders in Christchurch, and it must suck for Canes fans to know that they won the most games in the competition (hurr durr NZ conference too easy) but that they rank 4th in the table because of the conference system, but what a joke to just shittalk the Brumbies and the Jags.

They're two of the three non-NZ teams (along with the Lions) to not have a losing record against NZ teams in the regular season. On top of this, do you think any Jags fans care that they lost to the Chiefs in the regular season when they beat them so well in a QF?

I was guessing it was Chris Rattue who wrote that article. Imagine my surprise when I found out it was another arrogant Kiwi rugby scribe (who in truth are no worse than our cricket writers in those stakes)!

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Imagine being such a sore loser you talk up the Chiefs as being unlucky after the Brumbies put 50 on them. Hope this article is shown to whatever non-NZ team is playing in the final for a bit of motivation.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
That's quite a pissy bout of sourness from Hamish there, considering the Jaguares and the Brumbies both finished in the top four on points alone....

I'm guessing he's using the "Aus and SA conferences are easier places to get comp points" line of reasoning. Which is unprovable, and even if so, probably not statistically different enough to make 4/5 of fuck all difference at the end of the season. So, fuck off.
I think this "article" gets re-hashed each year, in one way or another.
Yawn.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
The unfortunate thing about rugby is it brings out the whinge in us. RSA are whinging about double standards with foul play. NZ whinge about the conference system (where they have the least travel!). We whinge about all sorts, but mostly RA or referees.