• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Semi Final Qualifier 2: Crusaders v Sharks: Nelson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
When:
Saturday, June 25th
7.35pm NZT
5.35pm AEST

Where:
Nelson, New Zealand
nelson.jpg

Venue:
Trafalgar Park, Nelson
TrafalgarPark(NelsonCityCouncil)_8858_NRHP.jpg

Officials:
Bryce Lawrence AR 1: Keith Brown AR 2: Vinny Munro TMO: Garratt Williamson

Head to Head:
Crusaders 13, Sharks 3, Drawn 1

Last Match:
Crusaders 44 def Sharks 28, Twickenham, March 27

Teams:

TBA

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Should be an excellent match. The Crusaders may be able to potentially welcome back SBW, Sean Maitland, Fotuali'i and McCaw. This could improve their potency and bolster their leadership stocks.

As for the Sharks, well I think most of SANZAR had written them off, assuming the Bulls would snare the final wildcard spot. But to their credit they played their way into the finals, and will be a tough opponent. The travel factor could be the difference.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
DPK, I agree. Who needs rugby when you have beaches like that!!

I'm tipping Crusaders based on the return of SBW and McCaw, kicking game of Carter to be the difference in a relatively close match.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Not quite sure what to think of this game at the moment. Until last night I considered the Sharks overrated, and thought the Bulls deserved to beat them to the last finals spot, but they played great last night.

nevertheless, I just cant see the Saders getting knocked out in the first week of the finals

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Not quite sure what to think of this game at the moment. Until last night I considered the Sharks overrated, and thought the Bulls deserved to beat them to the last finals spot, but they played great last night.

nevertheless, I just cant see the Saders getting knocked out in the first week of the finals

I think the Sharks and Crusaders match up fairly well. Both are strong across the park, and can adapt their style of play to match the conditions and their opponents. If the game was being played in Durban I'd back the Sharks, but given they must travel to NZ, I think the Crusaders should be able to win. Travel always has and always will be vitally telling in deciding the result of Super rugby finals. That's why the Reds are clearly in the box seats.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I think the Sharks and Crusaders match up fairly well. Both are strong across the park, and can adapt their style of play to match the conditions and their opponents. If the game was being played in Durban I'd back the Sharks, but given they must travel to NZ, I think the Crusaders should be able to win. Travel always has and always will be vitally telling in deciding the result of Super rugby finals. That's why the Reds are clearly in the box seats.

The Sharks Bulls game was bruising. Put the travel on top of that and I give the Sharks zero chance.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
The top of the South Island is arguably the most beautiful part of NZ and has arguably the most comfortable climate in NZ.

Sounds like there's too much arguing at your end...

I think this will be a very close game. The Shorks/Saders game at Twickenham was great, I hope both these sides can field sides as close to full strength as possible. It will go off.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Officials announced
Saturday 25 June: Crusaders vs Sharks, Trafalgar Park, Nelson at 19h35 (17h35 EST,0935 SA)

Referee: Bryce Lawrence AR 1: Keith Brown AR 2: Vinny Munro TMO: Garratt Williamson

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Full list

Friday 24 June: Blues vs Waratahs, Eden Park, Auckland at 19h35 (17h35 EST,0935 SA)

Referee: Chris Pollock AR 1: Stuart Dickinson AR 2: Glen Jackson TMO: Vinny Munro

Saturday 25 June: Crusaders vs Sharks, Trafalgar Park, Nelson at 19h35 (17h35 EST,0935 SA)

Referee: Bryce Lawrence AR 1: Keith Brown AR 2: Vinny Munro TMO: Garratt Williamson

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

hench

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Sounds like there's too much arguing at your end...

I think this will be a very close game. The Shorks/Saders game at Twickenham was great, I hope both these sides can field sides as close to full strength as possible. It will go off.

The Saders were red hot that day and haven't looked anywhere near that good for the rest of the season.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The Saders were red hot that day and haven't looked anywhere near that good for the rest of the season.

Only if you are talking about their attack.

Their defense has improved markedly as the season has progressed (aside from the Cheetahs debacle) and is now close to being where it needs to be to win a final. The fact that they could keep a resurgent Hurricanes tryless is evidence of this. Equally, their lineout, which was very inconsistent earlier in the season, has been almost faultless over the past month. So whilst the Crusaders attack has gone backwards with the absence of SBW, Maitland and Dagg, they have certainly improved in other areas.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I thought the Crusaders would've wanted to lose against the Hurricanes and I maintain that they should've. It's now become an almost impossible task for them to win the competition. Beat the Sharks, you'd back them to do it comfortable with the Sharks travelling but then they have to fly all the way to Cape Town and take on the fresh Stormers. Not impossible based on their last performance there but you'd expect the Stormers to be completely prepared for that match. Now if they do beat the Stormers they have to fly back to NZ even if they're the host of the final where as their opposition would already be in Aus. Remembering what the Crusaders produced after their last game after the Stormers I would have to say they're next to no chance in the final.

I know some people will say that shouldn't try to lose a game because there was always the chance of the Stormers losing to the Cheetahs but with the difficulty of travel in this competition with the finals they should've thought about their prospects much more. It's a poor reflection of the finals system when it's become better for a team to finish 4th than 3rd.

Get on the Stormers or Reds to win the comp if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.