• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Semi-finals 2016 - Hurricanes v Chiefs & Lions v Highlanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wow, what a complete game from the Lions. They have looked the goods all season but have taken it to a whole new level now. They blew the Landers off the park - following up from taking the Saders apart.

Next week they will end the Cane's season with ease I reckon, amazing to see Kiwi sides completely 'out-kiwied' in such a clinical manner

Thankfully they cant all play in the SA team, because that Lions team would walk over the Wobblies, smash the Pumas and might very well leave the AB's in their wake.

How on earth did this happen in a country where rugby has been in disarray, politics and infighting doing its best to destroy the game, the rest of the super sides mainly woeful and and an ingrained resistance to playing open running rugby?

Sure the draw favoured them, probably meant less injuries, gave them the option of giving the team a week off in the final round and a couple of home finals, but they have been way better than those advantages.

I really feel for my kiwi cussies, if as I expect the Lions romp away with this one, NZ will have had 4 teams in the finals, a 5th team finishing very strongly -and nothing to show for it

Sure its never been done before, in terms of a SA team winning the final away, but this is a different team to anything we have seen before.

Plenty of hyperbole there. This is, after all, the same Lions team that finished the regular season with a 2/3 record against New Zealand sides, including a 50-14 loss to the Hurricanes in Johannesburg. They now have to fly across the Indian Ocean to play that same Hurricanes team in what might be another foul late New Zealand winter evening.

Perhaps trying to avoid another Antarctic front is the reason why the match has been brought forward an hour?

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Also a 'canes win would mean that all five NZ teams have won a title and no matter who wins there will be a new name on the trophy for the third year running which hasn't happened before, I think.

Actually it is a brand new trophy this year, being a new competition and all. The Highlanders get to keep last years Super XV trophy for ever and ever. Lions or Hurricanes will be the first on it.

I hope there are a lot of coaches and players watching these last few games and seeing how the game can be played in an exciting and entertaining manner. You hearing me Brumbies, Sharks, Stormers, Force etc etc.

Thanks Highlanders. Been a great season. Now looking forward to seeing you lads in Black.

G

galumay

Plenty of hyperbole there.

True! I was a bit carried away by the moment. None the less they have got better as the season has progressed and were exceptional in demolishing the Landers last night.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ lets see how they go after crossing the Indian Ocean & Australia to play a team that's only had to travel as far as Sydney since May.........

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
So forward passes are ok if you a) don't score a try off it, or b) are losing the game by that point?

What about if your forward pass gets you out of your own 22, thus relieving significant pressure, but you don't a score the try for another 3-4 phases after the initial forward pass, AND you're still a mathematical chance of a come from behind victory at the time - is this ok?

Just trying to get my head around this particular piece of kiwi logic.

Your point a) is a stretch that I didn't suggest. Your point b) is fair after reading back my last paragraph, I shouldn't have suggested it's ok when the ref lets everything go all of a sudden.

The point I wanted to make was that Jantjes and the Lions benefitted A LOT from his forward passes in the last two weeks. Kind of obvious when the producers (very selective in SA) replay a try with TWO end on replays and nothing else.

Again, not trying to take anything away from the Lions. They obviously deserved the final spot. Will be a tough final for them though. Hurricanes will be keen to not make the same mistakes twice.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
woah, if thats Sam Cane's bandwagon I'd love to see Ardie Savea's...

image.jpeg

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Given the upsurge of boarders over the last few weeks, the Ardie Savea bandwagon has been loaned the Akira Ioane breakless hype train. The hype train was last sighted breaking out of Westpac Stadium at about 9:30 pm last night.

hqdefault.jpg

The train is currently rampaging around the lower North Island, and is expected to return to the Wellington waterfront on the evening of Friday 6th August.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
so good.

between the Ardie Savea bandwagon and the Sam Cane AB Captaincy Tenureship Underailable Freight Train and the Akira Ioane breakless hype train I can hardly keep up.

Might have to wait for the movie. Which will be 80 minutes of this:

lasers_zps5e0aea7b.gif

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Worth pointing out that according to sanzarrugby.com (you'd think they'd have added the extra "a" by now) Ardie is now the top tackler in Super Rugby with 192 to the 191 of the now second- but previously top-ranked player who was (drum roll, please) Sam Cane.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Sully, Cane has been identified as the heir to K.Read for at least 5 years now. Inducted into the AB leadership group as a bench dude while Mccaw was still in his pomp. No one really questioned the coaches since the the team was kicking arse and goddamn motherfucking unstoppable.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Worth pointing out that according to sanzarrugby.com (you'd think they'd have added the extra "a" by now) Ardie is now the top tackler in Super Rugby with 192 to the 191 of the now second- but previously top-ranked player who was (drum roll, please) Sam Cane.
It doesn't count. That's including finals

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Um, pretty sure it does count in the context of The Impending Cane v Savea Dilemma & they did both play last night, may even have marked one another IIRC....
Yeh if you just want to compare those 2 players.

The commentary team said it as if he made the most tackles in the season. Did Hodgson make the most tackles?I can't remember

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.