• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Semifinal 1: Reds V Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Just trying to catch up. Anyone tell me why there was no yellow produced by Kaplan for that professional foul not long before half time?

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
He gave his final warning to the player and the team.

He also gave the same warning to the Reds in the second half.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The Reds are going to have damn good highlights reel to advertise next season. Must have got another 2 minutes worth just out of last night. And that's just from Cooper & Davies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Beale suddenly found the desire, and now he's a machine. Maybe Quade will too.

Yep it is all part of Quade maturing as a rugby player. He can do it and he is understanding it is required and he is starting to apply it. (within what the Reds coaches demand of him). I think he may also have been told that with the strenghths of Kurtley Beale's game at fullback, Quade will not be required as much in a counter attacking role from the back with the Wallabies and will have to hold his own within the defence structure. Quade could be the Reds best defender but that would not change how they use him and last night proves just how leathal he can be in that role.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
Anyone notice that Quade's kicks for goal were going exactly where he was aiming them?? There was one TV angle looking straight down the ball and it was aimed just inside the left hand upright. Considering his kicks draw right to left it was always going to miss and it was clear to everyone in the room where I was watching....

It was about his 2nd or 3rd kick - would love to see a replay...

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeehah!! It was great to be at the ground to see that.

Cooper is ridiculous...undoubtedly the most skillful guy playing rugby at the moment.

Davies - a few guys have said it..no substitute for speed.

Once again a mighty team effort backed up the special plays by individuals. Apart from lineouts the forwards won that battle, defence was pretty special. I thought the two locks had big games. I was really impressed with Ben Tapuai last night. Very involved in the game, tackled magnificently and backed up Cooper well to score his try.

I was a little puzzled at some of the option by the Blues, they looked too impatient at times. I agree with others who ask why Ranger wasn't on earlier as he looked the most dangerous Blue when he was on the park. And I think I might have said this before - how big a human being is Ali Williams?

A

antipodean

You can't underestimate how important that win was for Australian Rugby. If we are to be serious contenders at the RWC we needed a team to make the final. It would have been gutting for the Reds to drop out, gifting the final game to either NZ or SA.
Super Rugby results don't extend into Test Rugby.

That period was the best example of the Blues not looking to set the platform upfront FIRST!! While the Reds did tackle very well, the Blues made it easy by just shovelling the ball sideways - almost as if they were waiting for someone to single-handedly break the game open. Someone like Rene Ranger...**sigh**
Exactly. If that gameplan mirrored the coaching of Pat Lam, he should be sacked. Blues were far too lateral and when a forward like Saili, Faumuina or Kaino went forward, they got over the advantage line, but the subsequent phase was too slow.

Munro had a shocker, Payne was average and McAlister looked ordinary again. Without Toeava they don't look anywhere near as threatening - that's how much of a difference he makes. Considering how hard they had to work against the Randwick Colts the weekend before, I gave them no chance of winning this semi final.

The Reds looked patient in defence, which is a good sign of confidence in your team-mates and patterns. They looked brilliant on counter attack - deserved winners and hosts of the final.

I was waiting the whole game for Kaino to smash it up the middle but it just didn't happen. His ABs 6 position is under real threat from Thompson.
1297250349946.jpg

meatsack

Ward Prentice (10)
I only have 2 concerns going into next week, one is obviously QC (Quade Cooper)'s goal kicking, but it is probably too late, I was suprised to hear he has no kicking coach (what is the ARU and QRU thinking???)

Pretty sure Braam van Straaten is still giving him advice. He does it remotely by viewing through a camera strapped near Quade's eye and giving feedback. If you follow QC (Quade Cooper) on twitter you see Grant van Velden sending messages to him.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I was a big fan of Rod Davies last season and earlier this season before he got injured and was laughed at here (no doubt rightfully) for declaring him a world class winger. I rate him above Morahan easily. With Drew Mitchell out at the moment, I would be disappointed not to see him in the Wallabies Squad somewhere. He isn't just fast, I think he is quite good defensively and seems to be developing a very good chasing game, which is something that made Bryan Habana such a good winger in his day.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Pretty sure Braam van Straaten is still giving him advice. He does it remotely by viewing through a camera strapped near Quade's eye and giving feedback. If you follow QC (Quade Cooper) on twitter you see Grant van Velden sending messages to him.
I thought that was the case too, but I am sure one of the commentators said he had no coach.

chequebalance

Bill Watson (15)
Man I was so worked up throughout the day that I indulged in 1 to many bourbons.. Still made it to the game and know I was having a ball but may have to watch a replay to catch some of the things I missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.