• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Senate enquiry into Australian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My sarcasm-o-meter is on the blink. The penalties for contempt of a Senate committee include The Parliamentary Privileges Act 1987 provides that a House of Parliament may impose terms of imprisonment or substantial fines for individuals and corporations as a penalty for contempt. To date the Senate has not had occasion to use either of these penalties, preferring an educative and preventative approach. https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parlia...e_n_procedures/Senate_Briefs/Brief13#contempt

I asked before in response to a similar comment, but didn't the Senate send a journalist (Newton?) to clink for a while for refusing to disclose a source of a story?

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
@ Michael

Unless you're part of the dysfunctional Rugby Australia (formerly ARU) my reference to EARU - Eastern Australia Rugby Union is no slight on you at all.

Clearly by its actions in axing the Western Force the ARU has little interest in developing the game of Rugby Union in Western Australia. Hence I will continue to use the EARU as my reference for this organisation until it changes its mission, values and governance.

Only the IPRC and RugbyWA have shown any interest in maintaining a professional rugby team in WA. I no longer have any interest in activities promoted by the EARU.
That's a difficult situation to get to as I've attended RWC, Spring Tours and Test Rugby in our region. Looking forward now to seeing more of the Indo-Pacific region and getting behind growing this great game in the West.

PS I was originally from Melbourne but moved West >40 years ago.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
yes agree, short term self interest and therefore no surprise where Aust rugby presently finds itself.

I get the feeling that things may change after Monday. 13 November.......
The Senate Committee is due to issue their report in the afternoon.

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
I asked before in response to a similar comment, but didn't the Senate send a journalist (Newton?) to clink for a while for refusing to disclose a source of a story?

Hi there - not sure at the Federal level. At state level, it's not uncommon. Newton? I don't recognise the name, sorry, but I'm also don't really follow these matters closely.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
This is the closest I can find on the subject, from Wikipedia.

"Contempt decisions by the House of Representatives or the Senate are thus subject to review by the federal courts. This follows after the Browne–Fitzpatrick privilege case which centred around Morgan, Fitzpatrick and Frank Browne being denied legal representation and subsequently being convicted and serving ninety days each in gaol for publishing an allegedly defamatory article against a member of parliament."

Not quite the same set of circumstances where the contempt was a defamatory article and the chamber concerned was the HofRs.

But jail time was involved, and could result from actions of contempt against the Senate presumably if the Senate thought them serious enough.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
@ Michael

Unless you're part of the dysfunctional Rugby Australia (formerly ARU) my reference to EARU - Eastern Australia Rugby Union is no slight on you at all.

Clearly by its actions in axing the Western Force the ARU has little interest in developing the game of Rugby Union in Western Australia. Hence I will continue to use the EARU as my reference for this organisation until it changes its mission, values and governance.

Only the IPRC and RugbyWA have shown any interest in maintaining a professional rugby team in WA. I no longer have any interest in activities promoted by the EARU.
That's a difficult situation to get to as I've attended RWC, Spring Tours and Test Rugby in our region. Looking forward now to seeing more of the Indo-Pacific region and getting behind growing this great game in the West.

PS I was originally from Melbourne but moved West >40 years ago.

It had nothing to do with "developing the game" it was about cutting the only Super Rugby team they could as cheaply as possible

Reactions: daz

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Theory: the 'Future of Australian rugby' inquiry is a waste of committee time and resources. Here's what they're currently dealing with: Availability and accessibility of diagnostic imaging equipment around Australia. Delivery of outcomes under the National Disability Strategy 2010-2020 to build inclusive and accessible communities. Effectiveness of the Aged Care Quality Assessment and accreditation framework for protecting residents from abuse and poor practices, and ensuring proper clinical and medical care standards are maintained and practised. Future of rugby union in Australia. Number of women in Australia who have had transvaginal mesh implants and related matters. Value and affordability of private health insurance and out-of-pocket medical costs. Tell me which is the odd one out.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Theory: the 'Future of Australian rugby' inquiry is a waste of committee time and resources. Here's what they're currently dealing with: Availability and accessibility of diagnostic imaging equipment around Australia. Delivery of outcomes under the National Disability Strategy 2010-2020 to build inclusive and accessible communities. Effectiveness of the Aged Care Quality Assessment and accreditation framework for protecting residents from abuse and poor practices, and ensuring proper clinical and medical care standards are maintained and practised. Future of rugby union in Australia. Number of women in Australia who have had transvaginal mesh implants and related matters. Value and affordability of private health insurance and out-of-pocket medical costs. Tell me which is the odd one out.

will the east coast rugby elites stop at nothing to bury this revelatory report into the underhand dealings of the ARU ? delayin until they can bury it. just typical of what WA has had to put up with all these years

lou75

Ron Walden (29)

whats a transvaginal mesh implant ? I am trying to picture it, and how could it possibly be more important that the future of Australian Rugby?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
whats a transvaginal mesh implant ? I am trying to picture it, and how could it possibly be more important that the future of Australian Rugby?

It is an horrendous product from J&J that has ruined the lives of many women. There is a class action lawsuit going on at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.