• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SF1: Argentina v New Zealand 21/10/23 @ 0800 NZDT

Who wins & by how much?

• Argentina 13+

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Argentina 1-12

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • New Zealand 1-12

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • New Zealand 13+

Votes: 8 42.1%

• Total voters

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Isn't it 21/10/23 8.00 NZDT WOB? Saturday isn't it our time? Don't like to be picky mate!
And it means I have to get up about 7-730am Sat, watch the semi and then up to New Plymouth for NPC final!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ correct & corrected :)

I work every Saturday & the only guy who can realistically sub for me is also a major footy fan so even though he'd likely do it if I asked (he's wifey's cousin) I couldn't do that to him, so I'm hoping both games are on what used to be Prime & will be saving up heaps of things to do that require me to be at the end if the shop where the TV is located...

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
As far as I know the ABs have no injury or judiciary concerns, which is a big bonus. I haven't seen the Pumas QF but the consensus was that it was a significant step down from the ABs QF, which would track with general expectations. Maintaining focus + intensity after that herculean QF, then, would seem to be the greatest challenge for this week. Especially as Argentina will absolutely be up for it.

It would be quite on brand for Foster's tenure to end by eliminating Ireland only to then lose to Argentina.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ yeah, I think all the subs were either tactical or forced by Taylor's YC & there didn't seem to be anything to attract the interest of the citing commissioner.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
It's gonna be tough for ABs to get back up emotionally after that but I think the 2019 experience helps them. Beauden already mentioned post game they didn't build slowly into the week for the 2019 SF.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Match officials being named tomorrow. Going by last time they won't appoint anyone from another semi-finalist country so I'm picking we'll get a mix of French, Irish & Australians.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Match officials being named tomorrow. Going by last time they won't appoint anyone from another semi-finalist country so I'm picking we'll get a mix of French, Irish & Australians.
That probably means Raynal gets one of these games which is a bit disappointing, he's well down the depth chart

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Given ALB was the only back reserve used in the QF, I do wonder if a 6/2 bench split could be a better use of resources, with Roigard or McKenzie paired with ALB to cover the backs. Especially if they want to give one of the locks a bit of a reprieve after the Ireland test, or just generally manage workloads in the forwards. For e.g., you could start Vaa'i with Rettalick, maybe also swap Papali'i in for Cane, and run with:

16. Taukei'aho
17. Williams
18. Newell
19. Whitelock
20. Barrett
21. Cane (or Papali'i)
22. Roigard/McKenzie
23. ALB

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's also quite amusing that Christie was preferred over Roigard for his defensive play, but was't brought on in a match that ended with 5 minues of tough defence.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Referee: Angus Gardner (Australia)
Assistant Referees: Nic Berry (Australia), Karl Dickson (England)
TMO: Ben Whitehouse (Wales)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Happy with Gardiner doing it, though to be fair, I don't really have an opinion on refs, they all pretty good really. Only thing I has wanted was someone like this with plenty of experience, and so less likely to feel pressure.