• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SF2: England v South Africa 22/10/23 @ 0800 NZDT

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
England will really fancy themselves here. South Africa will be feeling after that titanic QF vs France, and England, as boring and dreary as there are, can certainly nullify South Africa up front better than France did

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
We lost to Eddie Jones's England last year, which is hilarious considering you now have to talk him up in order to defend Rennie losing to England last year

Fact is, both South Africa and England were better than us last year, and better than us this year. You should be further through the stages of grief by now surely
So basically you're saying England are better now that Jones has gone?

They won 2-1 dude, and we lost by 3 points and 6 points. We also won against South Africa. So why wouldnt we be competitive against an English side who are lucky to win against Fiji?

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
I think England have had the benefit of some dubious refereeing decisions in the pool matches and 1/4 final. I think they will be a speed bump on SA's journey to the final and I cannot wait to watch it.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I think England have had the benefit of some dubious refereeing decisions in the pool matches and 1/4 final. I think they will be a speed bump on SA's journey to the final and I cannot wait to watch it.
While you are probably right, that's the same thing people said 4 years ago when Wales played South Africa

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yes, lets just ignore the record defeat. You are the Simone Biles of mental gymnastics
It's not ignoring the defeat. It's looking at the situation logically and the bigger picture. For some reason you seem to have a problem doing that.

It was a one off bad defeat against them, over in Argentina, which is probably one of the most hostile places to play. Like i said before , we won 3 out of 4 games.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
So why wouldnt we be competitive against an English side who are lucky to win against Fiji?
Since the 2015 World Cup Australia have a 10-1 record against England, in a period including two three match series at home. Their has been a gulf between us and them for a long time now. Competitive means jackshit, under Eddie we were competitive against Fiji, competitive against Argentina and competitive against NZ. But that amounts to zilch.

It baffles me how you are insistent on turning every thread on this forum into a Rennie v Eddie comparison. Surely you are bored of talking about it at this point.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Since the 2015 World Cup Australia have a 10-1 record against England, in a period including two three match series at home. Their has been a gulf between us and them for a long time now. Competitive means jackshit, under Eddie we were competitive against Fiji, competitive against Argentina and competitive against NZ. But that amounts to zilch.

It baffles me how you are insistent on turning every thread on this forum into a Rennie v Eddie comparison. Surely you are bored of talking about it at this point.
If he isn't most other people are.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)

The England team over the last two years aren't the same as the one from 5 years ago. So it's best to compare to the most recent history.

Competitive doesn't mean shit? Haha. If you're competitive that means you're close to winning, that's incredibly basic to understand.

I would rather consistently lose by 1-5 points than 20-40 points.

With Eddie we have been getting destroyed by the good teams and ' competitive ' against the mid-range teams Argentina, Fiji etc.

With Rennie we were competitive against the good teams, and Winning against the mid-range teams.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Dave Rennie who?
This clearly very successful international coach must have been snapped up by a tier 1 nation straight away after leaving the Wallabies.
Oh wait....

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Dave Rennie who?
This clearly very successful international coach must have been snapped up by a tier 1 nation straight away after leaving the Wallabies.
Oh wait....
He has a job coaching in Japan right now. I'm sure many international teams would love to have him.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
He has a job coaching in Japan right now. I'm sure many international teams would love to have him.
Exactly.... back to Club rugby for Rennie.
I'm my own worst enemy here but why are we still talking about him?
Im not sure that a sacked coach with a 38% win record is that sought after. Its nice to hear "you're sure that many international teams would love to have him", but it's baseless. The same with "if he was still coaching the Wallabies..." he isnt... soooooo.... who cares? We can speculate until the cows come home....

Keen to see the Saffas walk over England.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Exactly.... back to Club rugby for Rennie.
I'm my own worst enemy here but why are we still talking about him?
Im not sure that a sacked coach with a 38% win record is that sought after. Its nice to hear "you're sure that many international teams would love to have him", but it's baseless. The same with "if he was still coaching the Wallabies..." he isnt... soooooo.... who cares? We can speculate until the cows come home....

Keen to see the Saffas walk over England.
A 38% record which is a lot better than Eddie Jones. Im not saying Rennie is the Messiah, but he's a great coach who's bringing the best out of an average team.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Referee: Ben O’Keeffe (New Zealand)
Assistant Referees:
Andrew Brace (Ireland), Paul Williams (New Zealand)
TMO:
Brendon Pickerill (New Zealand)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Really wasn't expecting to see any kiwis, Poms or safas officiating SF & having 3 x kiwis doing this one is almost bound to end in controversy.