• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sharks v Reds, 19th April, Durban

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
It's been the case for most of the season, but when we kick above average, we tend to do well. Hegarty, Stewart and McDermott all did well in this regard and it really helped us keep the game in the middle rather than in our 22. First half we just took our chances, while the ref handed them their points, 2nd half we did what we needed to do and stood strong. Liam Wright and Alex Mafi the standouts for me, both were really fantastic.

Great result to go into the bye with and hopefully we don't take the Sunwolves lightly in a couple of weeks, getting a couple of wins on the trot before facing the Waratahs could really elevate that clash to another level.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Haven't watched the whole game yet, only up to the 2nd try by the Reds, but that whole 3 minutes leading up to it was a thing of beauty.

The Sharks were on the tryline attacking after the Reds conceded a lot of penalties in a row, ASY (Angus Scott-Young) rips the ball on the line, try saving stuff. Hegarty punts the ball down the field to halfway, but it doesn't find touch, still great clearance. Fortunately Kerevi was somehow first to arrive on the ball, Tate kicks again for field position, Du Preez is back to return the kick to about 15m inside the Sharks own half for a net gain of of 65m for the Reds, off an almost certain try time for the Sharks.

Then simple maul off a line out. Doesn't look like it's going anywhere but they shift sideways and eat up some metres and get the advantage for Sharks collapsing. Kerevi does what Kerevi does and busts a tackle, offloads to CFS to score, all under advantage. Bloody sublime and clever. Smart rugby.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Awesome work Reds. Really liked the work from the tight 5 and the loose forwards.

There also seems to be some improving game play. Definite periods of attack that saw the Reds trying to create mis-matches - backs on forwards and forwards on backs.

In the last 20 mins I expected the Shark bench to punch through. Just as I started watching for it they went through half a dozen phases to gain only about 1m and this stopped with a turnover. Solid work.

Kicking game much improved and an unexpected kick opportunity from Mafi (I think). McDermott, Hegarty and Stewart are steadily improving and our D was solid enough to make it mean something.

Loved the scrum if not some of the officiating. Well done Hoopert, really looking the piece at this level.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Terrific effort from all the frontrowers. When the oldest bloke in your starting front row is 22, you should reasonably expect to struggle. But they were solid and their work around the park excellent. Then the old heads came on and stepped it up.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
This is definitely a sign of the Reds’ improvement. Last year they had a similar mixed start to the season with some good wins and couple of poor losses but couldn’t get any wins on the South African tour and the season collapsed from there. This should give them some confidence going forward. Tupou was much better in my opinion and was unlucky not to have earned a few penalties at scrum time against the Beast.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well just watched the game, while being real pleased with Reds win, won't be putting it up as a game to watch again, what the hell has happened to the Sharks? Their skill set is shocking! I mean the Reds isn't great , but by christ if you want to see a couple of teams bumbling through a game this is it, with Sharks definitely going to new heights!

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Scrappy game , but very impressed with the attitude shown in defence, just need to eliminate a few soft penalties and our D is looking very good.

Kerevi again the go to man and yet again up to it. Some of his touches and kicks ( bar the shanked torpedo ) are showing how far he has come on as a 12, we need to keep him! How good will he be in another couple of seasons playing 12!?

Wright had his best game IMO, couple of late turnovers saved it for us in the end. Good to see genuine on ball pressure getting rewarded.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
We should be throwing everything at Kerevi to stay. The best back in Australia right now.

His game has gone to another level, a Ma’a Nonu transformation if you will... still lacks a good kicking game, but at least is willing to give them a crack now. Becoming a phenomenal player

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
His game has gone to another level, a Ma’a Nonu transformation if you will. still lacks a good kicking game, but at least is willing to give them a crack now. Becoming a phenomenal player

I also think he thrives more at 12......... it's just a shame that Petaia is out because I'd love to see how they went as a combo.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Kerevi is growing as a player

Who remembers his 2017 shocker in bled 1... wow he looks like a superior player, picks his time to offload wisely, is consistent.

Keep him reds

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Great win, the guys stood up & put up a great 80 min effort. Error count well down from last week which is extremely pleasing.

ASY (Angus Scott-Young) continues to thrive, what a fantastic game from him and Liam Wright both immense. Higginbotham needs to up his workrate. Whole tight 5 fantastic.

Very happy with the backs although I'd love to see Kerevi link more with Feauai-Sautia, CFS has really improved in the last few weeks and Kerevi should be looking to give him some space, he looked very dangerous the few time he got the ball. That link up for the McDermott try was sublime. A pity Hardy didn't see much good ball. I'm really enjoying watching Stewart grow each week at fullback, he as a lovely deceptive running style, reminds me of Bernie.

All in all a big improvement from last week, hopefully we can string a few more wins together next few games.

On the downside, geez Natal were both woeful and sublime in stages. On the right day they'd have scored quite a few meat pies. Some of their link play was a joy, let down by bad passes and silly mistakes. The QLD defence made it hard admittedly with some big hits.

It's great seeing all the SA sides really playing positive running rugby.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Kerevi is growing as a player

Who remembers his 2017 shocker in bled 1. wow he looks like a superior player, picks his time to offload wisely, is consistent.

Keep him reds
I think he was something of a scapegoat in that game and also at 13. Hes definitely a 12.

B

Bobby Sands

Liam Wright is a titan.

The young Churchie team sure is having its mark in both rugby codes.

At least 6 superstars in the making.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Reference Kerevi bledisloe 2017, unless I’m mistaken that was the game where he was still coming back from injury, was carrying extra weight and certainly wasn’t conditioned for a Test match.. he should never have been selected for that game

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
And he was asked to fill a key defence role and run a marathon in the same game.

It highlighted the stupidity of our defensive system.

Reactions: dru

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Is Kerevi definitely leaving or is that all still speculation based on only signing a 12 month contract?
Maybe he was backing himself for his value to go up.
If so then he’s done well.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Liam Wright is a titan.

The young Churchie team sure is having its mark in both rugby codes.

At least 6 superstars in the making.

Your man Wright certainly has been impressive in the last few games. Seems another high quality 7 is going to roll off the Australian production line.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Jesus the Sharks were woeful. You could make an argument that the Reds forced them into some of those errors, but the amount of drop ball they had near try scoring opportunities would probably have given me a heart attack if I was a fan!

I think the Sharks wingers demonstrated how wingers can get invovled, they went hunting for opportunities and kept busy!

Hooper did a bloody solid job scrum time especially when he must have been giving away 20kg to his opposite props who were nothing but mountains.

The back three are complement each other quite nicely. I'm unsure what we can do next year without Higgers, hopefully we can find an outsider to fill that void as Wright and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) are doing fantastic work.

Tate again was impressive both in his service timing and being able to keep his eyes up and scanning what's in front of him.

Stewart I think should inject himself a bit more just to give Hegarty an extra option. The back line doesn't seem to have anything other than to give it to Kerevi!

The fitness definitely showed in the Reds favour, last game on tour and after what, 2 months of back-to-back games, there must be some sore bodies coming into the bye week!