• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sharks v Reds Rnd 5 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
http://www.irblaws.com/index.php?law=12

IRB Section 12.

A pass is described as when a player throws or passes the ball forward.

I have always taken this literally:

- "when" meaning at the time it starts i.e at the time the throw or pass forward is made.

- a player is not throwing or passing a ball forward after it leaves his hands, or a hand, so the law is no longer relevant once it does.

- a throw or pass is not made forward if the ball is still in contact with a player's hands or a hand; so the law does not apply to the situation when there is still some hand contact, however tenuous. ***

- it follows that the law applies to the exact moment when it leaves the hands or a hand, as the referee judges it to the best of his ability.

The speed a player is running as he passes the ball, or what direction his hands are pointing as the ball leaves his hands, or what direction the ball takes after the exact moment it leaves his hands, are all irrelevant.

Always were, always are, always will be.

*** This is consistent with officials' rulings on tries. A try can be made in the act of (almost) losing the ball forward, or even backward, but it is grounded just before the moment it loses contact with the hands, or a hand.

In other words: there is no throw, or pass, until a hand loses contact with the ball.

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
Mank, you're fucking starting to shit me.

What happened to playing the ball, not the man?

http://www.irblaws.com/index.php?law=12

IRB Section 12.

A pass is described as when a player throws or passes the ball forward. There is no note of it on the website, however the exception is know is the ball is thrown backwards, but travels forward due to momentum. In that case it is not thrown forward, so it still complies.

As a one is intentional and the laws of physics prevent it and one is an error I imagine no exception is made for the error.

My entire point is that I DON'T CARE which way this is ruled, I'm not trying to stir anything, I'm merely seeking clarification as someone who has an interest in the minutiae of the laws.

If it makes you feel better, because I really don't want to "fucking shit" you any longer, I accept and understand your explanation. Thank you very much. I hope that you are sufficiently unshitted now.

Status
Not open for further replies.